Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Started taking the CBR apart today.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 17:51 - 03 Dec 2005    Post subject: Started taking the CBR apart today. Reply with quote

For those who don't know, I binned my bike at Brands Hatch about two weeks ago. I put off doing anything with it due to it being very cold in the garage and my left hand being pretty useless, but that's getting better so I made a start today.

This is what she looked like before I started:

https://www.evilbendy.co.uk/gallery/albums/brandzzz/normal_PICT0020.jpg

First things first, getting the tail fairing off. It had broken all the way round and I only had to undo one screw for a big chunk to fall to the floor. Other than that, damage is pretty minimal - I need to liberate the tail light and some little screwey things and then I might have a go at plastic welding it just for the experience.

https://www.evilbendy.co.uk/gallery/albums/crashedcbr/normal_PICT0009.JPG

Get the can off so I can have a closer look, alas it does appear to have a big crack in the carbon. I'll try it on the bike and see if it's blowing or not (suspect it will be) but to be honest, it cost me £25 and has done me a year so it'll be no great loss if it's buggered. Still got the standard can so that can go back on until I get a new race can.

https://www.evilbendy.co.uk/gallery/albums/crashedcbr/normal_PICT0008.JPG
(You can see the crack above the 'ON' and then down a bit.)

Brake pedal's a tad bent but I don't appear to have broken the peg hanger.

https://www.evilbendy.co.uk/gallery/albums/crashedcbr/normal_PICT0007.JPG

Cleaned all the mud off the tank and while it's not dented, it's got rather worse gravel rash than I'd hoped.

https://www.evilbendy.co.uk/gallery/albums/crashedcbr/normal_PICT0004.JPG

The right hand side fairing was mashed enough that I was able to remove it without removing the bend crash mushroom (I did clobber it several times with a pair of pliers though). The big hole where the mounting point would be wasn't actually anything to do with this crash, or indeed my Silverstone one last year - that's all the work of the previous owner. You can't see the hole when the mushroom is on, and the piece of fairing is firmly attached to my previous mushroom. Mr. Green Anyway, no worries about this panel, I have an almost mint one under my bed. Might weld up the crack in this one and use it, might just hang it on my trophy wall.

https://www.evilbendy.co.uk/gallery/albums/crashedcbr/normal_PICT0010.JPG

On to the front end. There's an impressive scrape along the top of the brake reservoir and the H frame is slightly bent. The 'dashboard' plastics aren't as bad as I thought they were, more displaced than broken. Should be fine when bent back into position but that'll have to wait.

https://www.evilbendy.co.uk/gallery/albums/crashedcbr/normal_PICT0005.JPG

There's a hefty chunk missing from the top fairing but I can happily ignore that. The little bit that's broken off with the screen will be fine to glue back in place, the new screen will hold it. Don't seem to have bent the bars or done any damage to the forks, which rules.

https://www.evilbendy.co.uk/gallery/albums/crashedcbr/normal_PICT0003.JPG

Mudguard's trashed and I couldn't get it off as the LHS bolt requires left hand up the inside of the mudguard action and that hurt. So it can just dangle there for a while. All that grass and mud you see lying on the ground came from my RHS ram air pipe, the turf was wedged up there further than my longest screwdriver would poke so I pulled out the ram air tube and walloped it a lot. There was also a hefty amount stuck to the radiator, most of which I chiselled off.

https://www.evilbendy.co.uk/gallery/albums/crashedcbr/normal_PICT0001.JPG

So, the main task really is bending the H frame back which requires a big strong boy or a length of scaffolding pipe. Or both. Crash mushroom needs smacking with a hammer and a new bolt. Ram air needs hoovering out and the air filter's probably full of bits - another two handed job I'm not going to attempt yet. And of course, a good going over with a pressure washer.

I've got a new RHS panel, spare tail fairing and the standard screen and can to go on so as soon as that H frame's fixed she should be back on the road - don't seem to have cracked or bent anything important, which is a result. Tis due a major service anyway so I'll probably see about that before concerning myself too much with cosmetics.

No real point to this, just thought I'd write it up. Smile

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 17:57 - 03 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some ones gonna be having fun Thumbs Up Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 17:59 - 03 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a fair bit of damage there, i read about you coming off a brands (along with the rest that binned there bikes!lol)

How you can source ebay and get some bargins for it Thumbs Up

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:35 - 03 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting write-up Bend, cheers! Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

distortion
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:36 - 03 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better than i thought it would be. Remember reading peoples write up's about it and thought Shocked Confused Crying or Very sad

Glad there aint too much damage / work to be done Bendy.

Let us know how you get on with her Thumbs Up

JP

jonnay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 03 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I'd heard about the crash, bet you were gutted, that was a really nice looking bike Sad Glad to hear you're able to get it back to how it was though Thumbs Up

Those H frames bend rather easily, don't they? I had to have a new one after a 5mph "drop" in that car incident, I couldn't even see it was bent until after the insurance company had given me a new one, and the old one was removed from the bike. It's pretty twisted.

Best of luck with the rest of the project, hope you have it ready for the nicer weather next year Smile

Jon

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 21:31 - 03 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a feeling the exhaust was blowing.

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 21:37 - 03 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, that exhaust was too loud (if rather gorgeous), so I've got an excuse to get myself a replacement now.

Tis fine for trackdays but it made me go deaf in Scotland and makes me wince when I ride through a sleepy village or past a policeman. Smile

NC30UK
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:42 - 03 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all honesty you got away with that one fairly lightly, frame, forks, bars, engine, wheels are all bloody expensive to replace. A new brake pedal and you have yourself a rideable bike!

The H frame may well be more bent than you think, with the cracked plastics on it's very hard to tell as they move about with the H frame.

Last time i binned it my H frame looked fine untill i tried to put a new fairing on only to find it didnt fit!

Are you sticking with the same colour scheme or are you going to buy cheap bits off ebay (cheap time of year for parts!) and spray them to match?

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 21:43 - 03 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

mat-black for the win Wink

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 23:11 - 03 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking better than expected, which is good.

One thing to note. Seeing as it was running rich before, you're going back to standard can, and those jets have done 20k or more, its probably worth getting stock jets back in when you do the major service. Assuming you DIY (with assistance) its not a huge job, and its an idea to clean the carbs while you have bottoms off them.

Villers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:01 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having crashed an FX myself bendy I now know how crap the honda fairng bolts etc are, they just tend to spin in there holes when you really want them to bite!

Its a shame to see so much damage but it looks mostly cosmetic and the main part of the bike (you!) appears to be fine!

Good luck wioth the project!

Wink

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 17:35 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, update time.

What with moving house and it being soo cold over winter, the bike's been ignored for quite some time. This week, back down to business...

- Got the broken mudguard off completely using Luke's not-broken hand.

- Top fairing off, spent an evening lovingly rubbing 'T-Cut Colour Wax' into it so it looks a bit better.

- Robby round to help - got the K&N (with free Huge Moth) out, cleaned and oiled. Hoovered out the airbox and washed all the mud out of the ram air tubes.

- Front subframe bent back into position as best we could. Top fairing back on, new screen (cheesey 'Moto GP' one!) fitted. It all lines up well enough, I'll be leaving the 'dashboard' plastics off though as they make it obvious that everything's on a little bit of a wonk.

- U shaped brake pedal replaced with straight one from my spares box.

- Tail fairing changed for a shiny black one from eBay, mudguard replaced with yellow one. Tis supposed to be the other way round, as standard.

- Battery is dead as a dead dodo. Got a spare from G but Luke's hogging the charger at the moment - hopefully later in the week she'll live! Smile

Got myself a full Micron system on ebay last month but I'm leaving that until I can get some dyno time booked, going to get the bike serviced before I do that. New crash mushroom that Swaffs got me is MIA somewhere in G's house, so no side fairings til that's found (or I buy one myself).

Trackday season starts soon. Mr. Green

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 17:41 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're very good at taking bad photos of me.

But it does make me look very tall.

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:11 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

robby wrote:
You're very good at taking bad photos of me.

But it does make me look very tall.

You look very happy.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:12 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You look quite a bit like Mendoza too... Smile

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 18:53 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby looks like a normal person. Shocked

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:00 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

He looks familiar... What's your full name Robby?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:32 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caption:

Come Here Mr Jefferson, I have something for you! Smile

msgander
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:43 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy thats good news bend, glad to hear the new workshop is in progress!!

riichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:13 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

new plastics,, and a bit of bending and it will be good as new Mr. Green .............good lick Thumbs Up
anders This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Parmo Paul
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 03:48 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is this the cause of falling numbers of common British Moths.... CBR air filters? Very Happy

Look here if my humour needs to be explained, it usually does Sad
anders This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 22:07 - 11 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need any help or anything welded you know where i am. Very Happy
20:02:36 Jammy-R6: any holes a goal
20:02:48 kev: even if its a hairy mans arse
20:02:56 Jammy-R6: hell yes
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 48 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2