Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Running in a new bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

curryfishball
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:53 - 11 Dec 2005    Post subject: Running in a new bike Reply with quote

Hi, I'm getting a new bike at the end of the week, its a Gixer 600 K5. I was wondering if the running in process would make a difference if done on a motorway at a constant speed, or that it would be better if done in city type driving which incolves lots of starts/stops. Anyone have any ideas? The dealer is a distant one, I don't really want to wait longer to have the bike delivered so was thinking of riding it home, but it involves the first 150 miles just on motorways. Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 11:10 - 11 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at this https://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

150 motorway miles wouldn't be great for the engine, unless you keep accelerating and braking. Try not to keep it at a constant throttle/speed.

curryfishball
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:08 - 11 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, I guess I will have a blast near the shop first and then take it back for an oil/filter change before heading back. Thats gonna be one long journey on the way back. This is the one thing I hate about new cars/bikes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:28 - 11 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should say constant high speed motorway riding would be perhaps the worst way to run it in really. Stop-start stuff varying revs all the time and not lugging or putting very high loads on the engine would be better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 142 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1