BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What Tourer?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mik_RX125
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 00:01 - 21 Dec 2005    Post subject: What Tourer? Reply with quote

I'm after a mid sized touring bike that would be good for touring Europe on this coming summer. I have already decided that I'll be going down to the Faro Rally in July. I'll be riding through France and Spain, then probably spend a week or two going to different places around Europe. I'd also use it every day for work and college.

I quite like the V-Strom 650, and I've looked at a few BMW Funduro's. I'd just like to know what tourer you own and about all the little things, like how long you can sit on it before your arse goes numb? Is it fun to ride when the going gets tough? Generally how well the bikes stand to being riden every day both like a loon and like a granny. I would test ride bikes, but having a restricted licence and being 18yrs old doesn't help at the local bike shops.

I should have roughly £3k-£4k to play with, but the older the bike, the less I have to pay out Very Happy

Thanks in advance.

Mik
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 01:03 - 21 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive ridden a dominator which is big comfy trail bike you could use for touring

ive ridden a vf750 which is a sports tourer

the dominator was ver comfy at low speed but didnt have much wind protection

i think having low pegs on a trail style bike makes it more comfy than a sports tourer

but having a decent fairing is important above 50mph

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:21 - 21 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can go touring on virtually any bike regardless of what it is classed as. I rode down to Spain and Portugal on a 400cc commuter bike, and this summer coming I shall be stopping off at faro on a 1976 cb550.

Four grand will basically buy you anything that isn't brand new, so you must decide yourself what kind of bike you would like. Most bikes should be comfortable enough unless you have specific problems (such as a bad back). Most bikes over 250cc should be quick enough to cruise on mainroads at a decent speed. Most bikes will accomodate some kind of hard or soft luggage. Most bikes should be reliable enough if they well maintained and serviced.

BMWs are all the rage on the continent, as are big trailies in general. Sports bikes are less dominant there compared to England, so you will stand out a bit more riding one.

Get whatever bike you feel suits your image, because you will spend most of your time on the bike. Don't get a bike that's in showroom condition, because it is very hard to spend several weeks riding a bike 10 hours a day every day without adding the odd scratch or two. Decide what bike you would like to be riding on English country lanes going to your favourite bike meet, and then work out if this bike has any specific flaws that would prevent you using it for touring. Go with your heart basically.

Mik_RX125
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 01:47 - 21 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice, but doesn't really apply to me. If I had my own way I would take a KTM, but seeing as they are about as reliable as public transport, then it wouldn't be a good idea. I like trailie and supermoto bikes, but they are usually better for going to the shops, or up a mountain, not half way across europe I'm affraid.

I quite like the V-Strom at the moment. I've read counltess reviews which all praise the bike. I've looked up on the BMW's, but they seem very heavy for what should be a light bike. I might just go to Rivington barn a few times and sit on everyone's bikes Very Happy I'll wait till summer though.

What odds would you bet on getting a KTM 660 SMC all the way to Portugal and back?

Mik
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 02:10 - 21 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about the SM's, but KTM build the adventure series bikes to do the Paris-Dakar rally across Africa so they should be capable.

Anything 4-stroke and reliable should be fine.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 05:09 - 21 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can get big trailie type tourers like transalp and africa twin

the guy who runs this site korn, says an africa twin with an oversize tank wd be his choice for a tourer

then there are the big bmw trailie tourers that ewan mcgregor and mate went round the world on

i agree trailies are better light if u are actually gonna go offroad

there was a bit in long way round that the cameraman ended up on a cb250 clone and preferred it to the big bmw for the kind of riding they were doing

Mik_RX125
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:20 - 03 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. I've decided to go the way of the V-Strom 650, as it seems to suit me down to the ground.

Just wondering if anyone on here owns one, as I'd like to know what they are like over large distances, like 300-400 miles a day. I've heard that they get around 240 miles to a tank of petrol, but not sure how true this is. How do your pillions like the ride and comfort of the bike after a long days riding?

I'll be taking mine, when I get one, on a good 3500 mile trip in July. I'll be taking a pillion with me, along with all the luggage like tents, equipment, camping gear and clothes.

Is there anything you would suggest doing to the bike to make the trip as enjoyable as possible? I'll obviously be servicing the bike before the trip, and fitting a few essential bits, like a Scott Oiler and hand guards etc.

I've noticed that these are almost impossible to get second hand, despite them being around for a good 2 yrs now. So if anyone is selling a decent nick one in the near future, don't hesitate to contact me Razz

Mik

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:02 - 04 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

DL650 - An American friend of mine did something silly like 1800 miles in less than two days on his. Shocked

He wrote an excellent blog of his journey across the US, but I've lost the web address. I'll see if I can find it.

edit: https://mishadbull.tripod.com/trip/index.blog?start=1075006871
It makes very good reading, though the style of the blog makes it a bit difficult to work out the order you need to navigate through it. Just keeping clicking newer and reading from the bottom entry upwards should work I think.

Mike Jansen wrote:
Now for some hard numbers and some observations about my trip.

21,117 number of miles traveled
1,841 longest non-stop ride
41 hours taken to complete longest ride
154 days on the road
2,282 number of miles traveled on a plugged rear tire
1282 longest stretch of riding in continuous rain in miles
32 number of states traveled to or through

Shocked Cool Thumbs Up

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:13 - 13 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the GS you pussy Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 14 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just wondering if anyone on here owns one, as I'd like to know what they are like over large distances, like 300-400 miles a day. I've heard that they get around 240 miles to a tank of petrol, but not sure how true this is. How do your pillions like the ride and comfort of the bike after a long days riding?

Ive got one, although my biggest distance in one go was only 300 miles ish. The only thing that i didnt like about the bike was it made my right hand go numb after 70 or so miles. But i seem to have gotten used to it by now so it doesnt affect me anymore.

Fuel consumption is great, 200+miles to a tank easy at 80 odd. Mine sits happily at 100mph on the motorway although it hasnt got much to offer in top speed,120mph max realistically. It gets there fast enough though. Very Happy The screen does a good job of protecting you and i enjoy riding in the rain on this bike. Wink
A scottoiler would be a good idea aswell as the genuine suzuki handguards if it hasnt got them already. Cant comment on the pillion front as yet because ive only today just kitted out my g/f with all the gear she needs to be pillion. I have had a heavy person on once before though and i just wound the preload adjuster up at the back (easy access knob Razz ) and job done.
Mine is mainly used for commuting but i will be using it to go abroad with the missus sometime this year hopefully.
Another thing that you should know is that the seat height is pretty high/ 830mm i think, im not very tall and i have to watch where i park the bike. Wink Laughing Look here for vstrom info and advice https://www.vstrom.info/
Mine the first day i got it https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v678/blazebrown/nbs.jpg

Mik_RX125
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:02 - 15 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Method wrote:
Take the GS you pussy Rolling Eyes

Unfortunately it would be impossible. I need to carry a pillion, several days worth of clothing each, 2 tents, tool kit, camping equipment and a few other bits and pieces. The GS doesn't even have a rack Shocked

Cheers Nb for that info. All sounds good to me. Seat height isn't really a problem for me. I used to have an Aprilia RX125 which had something like a 900mm seat, and I could ride that no problem. Would you be able to tell me what the maximum it will carry is? As it doesn't say on the Suzuki website.

I can't wait to go. I can't think of enything but my little adventure anymore. I don't think watching Long Way Round has helped either Very Happy . I'll be taking quite a few pics of my travels and will probably post a good review of the trip, bike and rally when I get back.

Mik

Nb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:33 - 16 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Would you be able to tell me what the maximum it will carry is? As it doesn't say on the Suzuki website.

Im afraid i cant, i cant find my owners manual. I did look at it when i got the bike but dont remember if it had that information in it. Neutral
Ive seen the dl650 loaded up pretty well though. Looks at this thread on advrider its well worth reading https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94116&highlight=dork You will need broadband for the pictures though! Laughing

Quote:
I can't wait to go. I can't think of enything but my little adventure anymore. I don't think watching Long Way Round has helped either . I'll be taking quite a few pics of my travels and will probably post a good review of the trip, bike and rally when I get back.

I'd be the same, also watched lwr and thought of doing a similar journey but im stuck with a missus and a mutt. Laughing Wink Rolling Eyes

Mik_RX125
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:45 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not very good at listening to advise Embarassed

I bought my new "tourer" today. I think I made the right choice. I bought a 1996 Yamaha TDM850. I've heard that they are great for everything, and they look funky too Very Happy

It came with Nexxus SS twin can exhaust system and it sounds great. Can't wait to take the beast for a spin.

https://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b173/Mik_RX125/New%20Bike/Image224.jpg

https://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b173/Mik_RX125/New%20Bike/Image225.jpg

Mik

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:35 - 25 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Thumbs Up That should make a pretty good tourer I would have thought. Also looks like there's space for paniers without taking up all your pillion's leg room.

Mik_RX125
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:56 - 26 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a slightly different plan to that. I'll be getting a set of Oxford soft panniers for it and a Givi top box. This way I'll be able to store valuables in the top box, but not have to have an ugly pannier rack on the bike. I'll also have an Oxford tank bag for this and that. In the end I wouldn't use panniers all the time, so solid ones would be useless after the Faro trip.

I have stuck some better pics of the bike in the pictures section on the forum. I love it Very Happy

Mik

Dave_ZedDragen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:12 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TDM's are good bikes, one of my mates has one and he has toured with us before and he looks the most comfortable. He can also fit on a hell of a lot of luggage to it.

The turning circle of the bike isn't very good, the front tyres can be hard to source due to it's awkward size. And apparantly they aren't suitable for off-road at all, even though it looks like it should be able to do it.

Good bikes though, nice twin sound. It should be very suitable for what your wanting.

here is the main source for information and all things TDM: https://www.carpe-tdm.net/tdm/index.html

Good luck and enjoy your trip Very Happy

woodyfjr
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:47 - 08 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mik_RX125 wrote:
I'm not very good at listening to advise Embarassed

I bought my new "tourer" today. I think I made the right choice. I bought a 1996 Yamaha TDM850. I've heard that they are great for everything, and they look funky too Very Happy

It came with Nexxus SS twin can exhaust system and it sounds great. Can't wait to take the beast for a spin.

Mik

Very able bikes the TDM's should tour very easily and very quite good in the corners too.

PS: Check the front brake calipers as they do tend to seize up or I think Thundercat calipers fit strait on? But not positive!

If you have to rev it! Don't Buy it!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

R4nger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:35 - 08 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

STOP STEALING THUNDERCAT CALIPERS! We Thundercat owners need spare calipers. If you bought a bike with rubbish calipers then you shouldn't of bought the bike... Wink

If thundercat calipers fit then R1 calipers fit aswell since I have put R1 calipers on my Thundercat. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

woodyfjr
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:46 - 09 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing

If you have to rev it! Don't Buy it!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:46 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mate just bought a TDM 850, and I have to say, it is probably perfect for what you will be doing, longer than average tank range, properly comfy for a range of sizes, oodles of torque without having silly power. I quite like them. Hugely underrated.

Didn't you say you had a restricted licence though?

Do put some R1 calipers on aswell, I've heard they make a real difference!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 77 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1