Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A big road trip

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Touring & Exploration by G (30 Dec 2005 - 23:12)
View previous topic : View next topic  

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:31 - 08 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GS that bad?

I wasn't sore after riding the er5 for 240 odd miles in a oner. Confused Always thought the gs's were damn reliable.

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 02:41 - 08 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realise the GS's were that 'extreme' either Confused

Mik_RX125
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:39 - 08 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found out the hard way that my GS hates rain with a passion, as the coils get soaked. I've almost fixed this by covering the terminals with silicon, but it still does it in heavy rain. I've also had to replace the top end gaskets at 20,000 miles, as an oil seal in the cylinder head had gone flat, allowing engine oil to ruin my jeans, so that ended up being a full day job, as we had a few setbacks. If it's a dry day then there isn't a problem with the bike, apart from that it takes bloody ages to warm up.

As with comfort, I found my little RX125 more comfortable on long distances. It's mainly down to the foot pegs vibrate quite badly at over 6k rpm, and the seat is good for 40-50 miles before you need to get off, but apparently the pillion seat is much better. Maybe the newer bikes are better, but mines a 91 model.

Mik
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bidman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:24 - 12 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, me and about 15 bikers from around the grimsby area are doing a nurburgring trip later this summer, taking the dover to calais ferry and its around a 5hr ride from calais to nurburg. then spend about a week at the ring Very Happy.
Thumbs Up Dan

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:51 - 12 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mik_RX125 wrote:
I've found out the hard way that my GS hates rain with a passion, as the coils get soaked. I've almost fixed this by covering the terminals with silicon, but it still does it in heavy rain.

Never had any problems in the rain mate, Ever.

Mik_RX125 wrote:

I've also had to replace the top end gaskets at 20,000 miles, as an oil seal in the cylinder head had gone flat, allowing engine oil to ruin my jeans, so that ended up being a full day job, as we had a few setbacks.

My rocker cover gasket is a bit lame, and leaks a bit, but nothing major.

Mik_RX125 wrote:

If it's a dry day then there isn't a problem with the bike, apart from that it takes bloody ages to warm up

Takes ages? Mine is ready in 3-4mins tops.

And as for painfull to do more than 100 miles, you need to sit up more mate. Its not a race bike, ive done 200miles with a pillion and luggage hanging off of every angle. Search for "Two Teenagers" and youll find the pictures of my holiday in the summer.

Read This & Toughen up a bit lad Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mik_RX125
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 01:28 - 14 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Method wrote:
Never had any problems in the rain mate, Ever.

I went through a big puddle the other weekend on my GS, it backfired then died on me. Ended up having to get the WD-40 out to get it going again.

Method wrote:
My rocker cover gasket is a bit lame, and leaks a bit, but nothing major.

I've not had that problem. It was just annoying having to change the gaskets, then finding out that oil seals aren't included in the "Full" engine gasket set. Which meant a 60 mile round trip on a Sunday to a bike shop in Preston that had the seals in stock, while my engine was in half in Bury.

Method wrote:
Takes ages? Mine is ready in 3-4mins tops.

I use mine every day for a 7 mile trip to and from college, which usually takes around 15-20 minutes. On a cold day the bike won't be fully warm till after about 5 miles of riding it. I'm not one to sit around wasting petrol while my bike warms up.

Method wrote:
And as for painfull to do more than 100 miles, you need to sit up more mate. Its not a race bike, ive done 200miles with a pillion and luggage hanging off of every angle. Read This & Toughen up a bit lad Thumbs Up

I don't think being tough has anything to do with it. I mean I found my little RX125 more comfy on rides as far as North Yorkshire. Even with the engine buzzing away trying it's best to do 70-80mph all the way. The worst thing about the GS is the pegs vibrate really badly in the higher revs, just like the GN125 I did my test on. I sit more upright at the moment, well more so than when i got the bike. All I know is it's more comfy than my mates Bandit 600, especially the pillion seat.

Mik
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris___
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:16 - 15 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly a big road trip at all, but I'll be spending a weekend touring the Isle of man this year which I'm looking forward to.

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:53 - 16 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at a map, saw a place called Tongue and thought that'll do for me. Thumbs Up Laughing

Tongue.

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:38 - 16 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mik_RX125 wrote:

I went through a big puddle the other weekend on my GS, it backfired then died on me. Ended up having to get the WD-40 out to get it going again.

Laughing I deliberately go out puddle bashing on mine, never had that before?

Mik_RX125 wrote:
I use mine every day for a 7 mile trip to and from college, which usually takes around 15-20 minutes. On a cold day the bike won't be fully warm till after about 5 miles of riding it. I'm not one to sit around wasting petrol while my bike warms up.

Im not a big one for sitting there blowing petrol either, but withing 2 miles of riding it has normally warmed up decently

Want to know the best thing i can suggest if you want to do long miles on your GS?

A Full Fairing. My god ive done miles without one, got mine about 1 month ago, and wouldnt change it for the world, its absolutely amazing! Thumbs Up Makes mile crunching as easy as taking a wee Thumbs Up

Although i have to say im glad im never a pillion on my GS, its the most uncomfy seat in the world im sure of it Laughing My mate rides a 600Divvy and his seat is like an arm chair compared to mine! Laughing I want his seat Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 16 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mik_RX125 wrote:
Method wrote:
Just depends how reliable the GS500 is being when it comes to it, unfortunately all my trips have to go through this stage, and at some point or another, are put back on the drawing board untill the old girl decides to go again Wink

You are mad. It's painful enough doing a 100 mile trip on my GS500. I wouldn't even think of going to France on it. In my experience, and 3 months of owning one, they aren't terribly reliable or comfortable after 40 or so miles.

Mik

I used to have one (not a good example either, a 10 yr old shitheap) and I never found comfortable to be a problem... me and the girlfriend did a 5 day tour round Corsica and it handled it well.
I think as long as you give it a good servicing before leaving it makes a pretty good touring bike, good fuel economy, comfy, enough power for motorways yet light and easy to manage. Not only that but they're common, even in france, so if something does go wrong it'll be easy enough to get parts.

divuk83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 16 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

York to Oudenburg in Belgium on a scooter. There is a pretty large group of us going. Should be a laugh.

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chris___
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:07 - 16 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

divuk83 wrote:
York to Oudenburg in Belgium on a scooter. There is a pretty large group of us going. Should be a laugh.

Dave

Bloody hell mate! Well good luck with it! Thumbs Up Im sure it'll be an experience to remeber. Be sure to let us know how it goes.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 104 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2