Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

London to Brighton cycle (Part 2: team info/prep/training)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:01 - 26 Jan 2006    Post subject: London to Brighton cycle (Part 2: team info/prep/training) Reply with quote

Anyone heard anything back from BHF?

I haven't...

It's ages away but anyone thought about training/preparation?

I run at the gym most days and have changed to cycling so I will hopefully be fine on the day (when fuelled by a mixture of lucozade and beer)!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:36 - 26 Jan 2006    Post subject: Re: London to Brighton cycle (Part 2: team info/prep/trainin Reply with quote

Haven't received anything yet either. Will talk to people at work who have done it before.

Went out for around four hours in Bracknell forest on Sunday with Ste and Korn. But then I had just got my brand new fancy bike (not one that I'm intending to use for the race, one got through the 'ride to work' scheme.)
Don't think I'm going to have time to do it again this weekend, but may look at something the weekend after.

Obviously any one else is welcome to come along, though a bit far for most.

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:39 - 26 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard nothing either. My 'training' currently consists of at least one long ride a week plus some standard weights/pushups/situps etc in the evenings, which I've been doing a while anyway. Tbh I'm not much of a road rider and try to spend as much time on the muddy stuff as possible, much more fun. Currently a 'long' ride for me is around 20 miles (again mostly off road) over maybe 4 hours so I've still got a far way to go.

As it gets lighter in the evenings I'll be cycling after work too.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:23 - 26 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't really need to be ultra-fit.

I've found that once you can do a few hours on the trot, then you can pretty much keep going for ever if you're keeping a steady pace.

Can't hurt, but I wouldn't worry too much for most people (unless you want to ride a stupidly heavy bike Confused).

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:51 - 26 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
You don't really need to be ultra-fit.

I've found that once you can do a few hours on the trot, then you can pretty much keep going for ever if you're keeping a steady pace.

Can't hurt, but I wouldn't worry too much for most people (unless you want to ride a stupidly heavy bike Confused).

I agree you wouldn't need to be mega fit really, but as you say there can't be any harm in it. I wanted to get pretty fit this year anyway, and mountain biking's damn good fun. Thumbs Up

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:11 - 26 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dom wrote:

I agree you wouldn't need to be mega fit really, but as you say there can't be any harm in it. I wanted to get pretty fit this year anyway, and mountain biking's damn good fun. Thumbs Up

Could always make your bike heavier with motorbike wheels to make it a challenge Razz.

Also:
Quote:

This email confirms safe receipt of the entry form to the London To Brighton Bike Ride 2006 for Dave Giffould. Confirmation of acceptance on the ride will follow after 1st March 2006.

Please do not reply to this email because the mailbox is not monitored.

FRSystems
Acting as registration agents for the BHF London To Brighton Bike

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:59 - 26 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

Could always make your bike heavier with motorbike wheels to make it a challenge Razz.

Nah, I'll leave that sort of thing to the real nutters. Wink It would be quite a feat to a) fit them in a way that worked and b) ride more than 500 yards with them on. I assume it'd be a ploy for some bemsee sponsorship? If so it would definitely get some media attention, I'd have thought.

I received the same email, too. Thumbs Up

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 22:08 - 26 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i first started caddying at queenwood i would cycle 11 miles there caddy (walk around an 18 hole course with heavy bags) for 6 hours then cycle back.

Wasn't too bad (then again i have an athlete's pulse Cool ) but i only stuck at it for a week as i couldn't be arsed after a while. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

illusion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:00 - 27 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the following e-mail:

Quote:

This email confirms safe receipt of the entry form to the London To Brighton Bike Ride 2006 for Daniel Peachey.
Confirmation of acceptance on the ride will follow after 1st March 2006.

Please do not reply to this email because the mailbox is not monitored.

FRSystems
Acting as registration agents for the BHF London To Brighton Bike

michael j
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:13 - 29 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the London to Brighton last year, no training, and on a mountain bike( tyres were low on pressure for first 25 miles too, thanks Halfords). Did it in about 4.5 hours, had to walk up some of the hills tho and didn't stop for beer. Watch out for Ditchling Beacon!!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:18 - 29 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone got suggestions for comfy saddles then? Laughing

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:51 - 29 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

A nice fat 'arse-grape saver' type saddle is high on my 'to buy' list. I don't have piles but I'm expecting it to feel I have after the race!

I've just got my email to. I'm presuming that, as we are a team, the chances of us not getting accpeted are pretty slim?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:54 - 29 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

byke95 wrote:

I've just got my email to. I'm presuming that, as we are a team, the chances of us not getting accpeted are pretty slim?

I tried to big it up a bit - sent a covering letter explaining that I wasn't actually the head of the British Cycling Federation - however that I was going to be riding a novelty push bicycle.

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 23:15 - 29 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyone got suggestions for comfy saddles then?

I'll be investing in a new saddle but will also be wearing padded shorts.

You not got a pair of short's like this Ste? https://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=21304

Theyre baggy shorts but padded(the padding being held in place more tightly), apparently good for crashing in too. Will be getting a pair or two myself at some point.

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 14:41 - 30 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This email confirms safe receipt of the entry form to the London To Brighton Bike Ride 2006.
Confirmation of acceptance on the ride will follow after 1st March 2006.

Going by my recent attempts at cycling I think I might have signed my own death warrant here... Laughing

Last edited by Korn on 15:24 - 21 Jan 2008; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:04 - 30 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Going by my recent attempts at cycling I think I might have signed my own death warrant here...

I'm relying on beer to numb the pain and lucozade to keep me going...and the possible use of bungee cords so I can attach my limp out of breath body to someone else!

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:27 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spotted that they've cashed my entry cheque, so I guess that means we're in. Neutral

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 20:08 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a ride of 30mile's in about 2 hour's yesterday, into a slight headwind and half of it uphill. Completing the actual ride within 5 hours (cycling time) should be no problem for you all.

I'll be doing a few test ride's there and possibly back if anyone's interested in joining in.

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:54 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have not tried to do a road only ride at all yet (too boring) but I don't think I'd be at a 15mph average, probably a bit below. I might be up for a 'test ride' but will probably leave it until the weather's nicer.

Reuben, I'm guessing you've got a road bike as opposed to MTB/similar?

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 20:57 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Reuben, I'm guessing you've got a road bike as opposed to MTB/similar?

Yep pretty much. A basic road bike and one with flat/MTB handlebar's however. Has 700c (as oppose to 26") wheel's and a much skinnier frame.

A 15mph average should be pretty easy, I ride everywhere with a rucksack on that weigh's a few kilo's which probably doesnt help. I'd suggest buying some slick 26" tyres for the London-Brighton. It will make things surprisingly easier on the road.

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:10 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reuben wrote:
Yep pretty much. A basic road bike and one with flat/MTB handlebar's however. Has 700c (as oppose to 26") wheel's and a much skinnier frame.

A 15mph average should be pretty easy, I ride everywhere with a rucksack on that weigh's a few kilo's which probably doesnt help. I'd suggest buying some slick 26" tyres for the London-Brighton. It will make things surprisingly easier on the road.

I think you're probably right about tyres. The ones I am currently using are 100% dirt jobbies, very thick tread etc. I'm planning to do a fair bit of 'training' when it's light enough in the evenings, and if I can't get to the point where 15 or so's doable with these tyres I'll get some road ones. I do quite like the idea of showing up some lyrca clad once-a-month riders with full-on race/road bikes on my muddy MTB with completely the wrong tyres though. Twisted Evil

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 21:17 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You possibly will do.

Most of you will probably be quicker than me tbh.

Anything to reduce your rolling resistance is good for cycling. Also ensure that all rotating components, hubs etc are in good working order and greased up.

Sitting on a flat smooth road I can happily do 18-20mph for a long time. No reason why that shouldnt be possible on a hard tail MTB with slick's.

EDIT: The trick to cycling is to keep your leg's turning. You will be better off turning you leg's at a faster rate than having to push harder on your pedal's. Your after an rpm of around 80-90per minute, known as cadence in cycling gibberish.

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had any probs in 7 years with my WTB SST saddle. Big saddles arn't as comfy as they look and smaller ones are always better than they look.

https://www.greenfishsports.com/ProductImages/wtb_sst2k.jpg
A nice wide rear to the saddle to support it all, but not too much at the front to get in the way.

The Selle Italia Flite saddle is one of the most comfy saddles of all time. Doesn't look it.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2002/tech/probikes/telekom/seat.jpg

Thumbs Up

illusion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:13 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just seen they have cashed the cheque so looks like we should be getting some confirmation through soon!

Cheers.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 10:41 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

this is as comfy as they get

https://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/colinwall/seat001.jpg

https://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/colinwall/mybike001.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 31 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2