Yamaha R4 Hybrid - Track Project

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:57 - 20 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

markcatate wrote:
Also if we can't get the engine to work then i will more than likely be dropping either a thundercat or fzr750 engine in. Thumbs Up

Thundercat or FZR600 engine should fit in easily (plenty of internal bits on the FZR600 engine are stamped 1WG, the model code for the early FZR400). Doubt you will get the 750 engine easily is as they are a very different design.

All the best

Keith

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 11:58 - 20 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Cheeky bumping.

Shifty

All i want really is the fairings which i have sorted and maybe a screen brace. Thumbs Up

I have about 5 months until summer and some money to burn so may as well make the most out of it. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:59 - 20 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

markcatate wrote:

I have about 5 months until summer and some money to burn so may as well make the most out of it. Smile

I suppose suggesting you get the basics ready and do some trackdays would be a stupid idea?

You never know, you might find you enjoy riding the bike more than looking at it Wink.

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 12:05 - 20 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with tarting it up. Just means i'll be lapped with some style. Laughing

It's not like im spending big £££ anyway. Probably £500 max. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:07 - 20 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

£500 is five trackdays Smile.

For me, I'd get a hell of a lot more fun out of five trackdays.

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 12:31 - 20 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
£500 is five trackdays Smile.

For me, I'd get a hell of a lot more fun out of five trackdays.

I will probably do 5-7 trackdays too this summer (well thats the plan) Thumbs Up

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:35 - 20 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

And 10 - 12 is a better number than 5 - 7.

Also, you'll look a hell of a lot more trick and tarty with an extra 5 trackdays worth of fastness than with a pretty bike Smile.

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:00 - 20 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta agree with G. You need to see the engine running before you spend money getting things powdercoated. The same goes for cleaning - Why bother if what you're cleaning turns out to be knackered and just scrap metal. Get a running engine and good cycle gear together, and then you faff around tarting it up to your hearts content. It is also very hard to maintain your interest in a project if it doesn't look even vaguely motorcycle-shaped.

Clean out the carbs then whack the engine in the frame and try and fire it up. You don't even need to stick an exhaust system on it. Have you even tried to turn the engine over?

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 23:39 - 20 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supposed to go out tonight and get wasted but my ride bailed (parents Laughing )

Hadn't seen them in a couple of days and weren't answering their phones/same as sister so was stuck inside. Neutral

Got started on spraying the swingarm and to be honest im pretty impressed. Only put 2 coats on and it looks really good. The photos do no justice at all. Already use a 500ml can of spray so gotta get some more tomorrow. Thumbs Up

As for the engine i just bought another one so will be able to deff get one running plus i have a couple of demon mechanics that will help me out. Smile

https://img72.imageshack.us/img72/7660/dscn28557em.jpg

https://img72.imageshack.us/img72/5849/dscn28566vy.jpg

R4nger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:01 - 21 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much tartness and not enough mechanics. Learn mechanics boyo! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TOM M
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:03 - 21 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its looking smart Thumbs Up

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 00:03 - 21 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

That swingarm is shit hot. Cool

Its sleeping at the end of my bed tonight to keep nice and warm ready for its next coat tomorrow. Very Happy

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 01:45 - 21 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark thats ace mate.

Keep us updated I want to see how this turns out. Thumbs Up Mr. Green

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 22:22 - 23 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

Done a fair amount of stuff since my last post. R4nger & Klause came over on the weekend to help out. (I just sat watching ghost rider & top gear in a deck chair while they were working. Cool )

Basically started to strip the engine down and have a look. Nick couldn't get the pistons moving so he started to take the cam chain and stuff off. It was pretty rusty when we had a look. Idea was to just strip the engine for spares while i use the other one which i am collection on the weekend.

Also bid on some R6 fairings but due to being busy forgot about the auction and got outbid Brick Wall Spanking R6 race fairings for £86. Mad

So after giving up we tried the minimoto. Laughing It still didn't want to play and is still in pieces in my garage, stupid piece of chinese shit. Middle Finger Apparently nick thinks its a carb problem so could possibly fix it.

In the mean time i have put the final coat of lacquer on the yolks and forks. Started spraying the frame but yet again ran out of paint, so another trip to halfords probably wednesday. Spend about £45 on paint already. Shocked

Just seen a suzuki gsr ad on tv. Shocked (sorry a bit off topic)

I managed to smudge the swingarm and had to build back up the layers which is taking days. Mad

Tonight i have taken the top end off (i think its called that) and found the pistons to be full of rust (see pic) and had siezed.

https://img466.imageshack.us/img466/324/dscn28705rw.jpg

Pistons of death. Twisted Evil

https://img466.imageshack.us/img466/4193/dscn28787xo.jpg

https://img465.imageshack.us/img465/9159/dscn28809td.jpg

Also polished the exhaust that i got from R4nger (fool wouldn't clean it for me Laughing ) That came up pretty good, i believe it is a micron but i took the sticker off and have ordered a yoshimura one. Cool

https://img465.imageshack.us/img465/5936/dscn28733zi.jpg

Still having a bit of trouble sourcing coils/ht leads. Confused

Some more pics:

https://img465.imageshack.us/img465/9240/dscn28639sd.jpg

https://img465.imageshack.us/img465/7388/dscn28606ol.jpg

https://img465.imageshack.us/img465/5043/dscn28744xo.jpg

https://img465.imageshack.us/img465/5360/dscn28770ct.jpg

Oh yeh and R4nger i have WEP on my wireless network now so no more coming back in the middle of the night and stealing my bandwith. Razz [/img]

Deano
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:39 - 23 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a set of pistons, conrods, the head, gearbox, dogs, sump. definately a 3tj. I need to get rid of them quick mark I'll take some photos and try and get them to you tomorrow. I'l give it all to you for £40.

PM me, if you want em coz I just want rid of the lot.

Barry_M2
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:53 - 23 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sh!t, didn't realise the engine was in such a bad state mate! Shocked

Lucky you got a spare really. 3TJ parts wont fit that engine I think.

Swingarm looks good, what paint are you using to do that?

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 23:00 - 23 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bike is gonna look ace when done Thumbs Up Mr. Green

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 23:02 - 23 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, i got another one coming which was just over £50 so its not bad. Better than nothing. Smile

It looks like it has just rusted from being sat which is pretty good, i think you can just clean it all up.

I have been using halford own paint. £5.99 per 500ml can for primer, top coat and lacquer. Its pretty top stuff, the pictures do no justice at all. It's also a hell of a lot more durable than i though. I hit a bit with a screwdriver and it hardly marked at all. Cool

Hopefully be able to get the main components together on the weekend, have a rolling chassiss which will be good progress. Smile

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:14 - 23 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The minimotos I believe are flawed anyway as the carb sits behind the engine, not over the cyclinder, so are hard ot get going.

Given up with mine, just want rid.

simple

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 23:15 - 23 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol ditto. Sticking a bit of petrol directly into the engine via the spark plug hole gets it going for a few seconds.

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 23 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep priming the carb get sit to splutter into life,

dunno, all the chav ones work, its not fair, go offer a chav a swap me thinks

simple

Klause
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 23 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

No wonder it didn't turn over! Soon as it didn't turn over I was like right.. this engines is spares lol. Thumbs Up

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 23:59 - 23 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets hope the other engine is in better condition. Confused

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8029868654&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

Also bought

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8030629233&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8031123402&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8029678212&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

Those coils are pissing me off though. Breakers are charging insane prices. Mad

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 00:05 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoL like your spares i see Wink

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 00:17 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh lol, i'll need them as i can see silver getting pissed that im passing him on the beastly R4 so he will probably kick me off my bike. Laughing

Also my sister was like who's been drinking my J20's. Shifty
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 99 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3