Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


When should I change up/down and what should I cruise at?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

syl
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:24 - 15 Jan 2006    Post subject: When should I change up/down and what should I cruise at? Reply with quote

When should I change?

I got myself a new Z750S a couple of months ago. I'm still "running it in" - the first 500 miles was max 4,000 rpm, the next 500 miles is max 6,000 rpm. I've pretty much been following this so far (at 750 miles now). Because of that, I haven't really worked out where I should be changing up (I'm not talking about maximum acceleration, just general riding) and what rpm I should "cruise" at?

Max BHP (rear wheel) is 101 at just under 11,000 rpm. Torque (max 52) is pretty flat from 4,000 rpm.

Dyno output is below:
____________________
Current bike: Kawasaki Z750S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kb-zxr
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 01 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:36 - 15 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crusie where ever you want mate Razz

You have several options -

Lower revs for good mpg
High revs for good response

I tend to find a nice sounding rev in a certain gear and hang about there Cool Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:05 - 15 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

As already said, completely up to you (and the speed limit). You can cruise around in top, keep it buzzing in the early gears, where-ever. Engines usually feel 'best' between peak torque and power, but that's hardly a cruise.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:15 - 15 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main thing is avoid letting it labour in any gear.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

McGee
O RLY?



Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:55 - 15 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

City/town riding.


Up Shift:

1st - 2nd 12mph

2nd - 3rd 19mph

3rd - 4th 25mph

4th - 5th 31mph

5th - 6th 37mph

Down shift:

6th - 5th 31mph

5th - 4th 25mph

4th - 3rd 19mph
____________________
◙◙► K6 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 1000 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► 96 RF600r ◄◙◙
◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►
Its pronounced Jixxer!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mrchips
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:43 - 15 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

For commuting I'd generally just use first to get me moving then shift about 4-5k, for a spirited ride i'd usually take it up to 7 or 8 grand then if I'm going for it it will be up to the red.
____________________
Northern Irish? www.nibikers.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

syl
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:16 - 15 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrchips wrote:
For commuting I'd generally just use first to get me moving then shift about 4-5k, for a spirited ride i'd usually take it up to 7 or 8 grand then if I'm going for it it will be up to the red.


Thanks.
____________________
Current bike: Kawasaki Z750S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

vfr800
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 28 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:30 - 15 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ride it like you stole it Thumbs Up Wink
____________________
don't take it easy 'ride it like you stole it'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

riichy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:29 - 16 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

you gat a z750......there is only one way to ride it..and thats up in the red line Twisted Evil Thumbs Up Karma
____________________
.......... PLOD ............ zx636 2004
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dodsi
Dirty Carny



Joined: 06 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:40 - 16 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its an allmost impossible question to answer really.

You must ride to the conditions.

I Find it a pain in town keeping the bike in a responsive lower gear at higher RPM.

I dont hang about overtaking and get it at about 8K RPM before I open the throttle to pass a slower moving vehicle (redline is 14.5K though) just to get out and back in again.

In slippery conditions (so this time of year) I tend to short shift everywhere (tend to keep the bike above 3K however as to not labour the engine)

Also when overtaking I tend to crank the throttle once I am over the white line, this helps me not to slip on the white line when crossing it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 269 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 0.88 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 65.46 Kb