Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Dakar - 3 dead

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

IronMaiden
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:46 - 18 Jan 2006    Post subject: Dakar - 3 dead Reply with quote

Just wondered what you guy's think about the deaths in the Dakar this year. 1 Aussie bike rider and two kids killed....

I absolutely love watching the Dakar, especially as we have a couple of South African's that do really well (Geniel de Villiers and Alfie Cox to mention a few) Geniel came second in the car section this year! Thumbs Up

Alfie was riding bikes but after his friend Richard Sainct (sorry, can't remember how his surname is spelt) bled to death last year right before his eye's, he has decided to race cars now.

Quite a few deaths over the years, including a helicopter crash in a sandstorm. Very tragic! Thumbs Down

I would be very sad if they stopped the Dakar due to the unfortunate loss of life.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SteWhit
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:56 - 18 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt they would stop it, as with any motor sport there is risk of loss of life. I think the would introduce more rules to make it a bit safer, as the did with F1 etc before they stopped the event out right.

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:06 - 18 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very tragic of course, but it's an amazing event and fortunately I think the chances of it disappearing are pretty slim.

SteWhit, I don't really see how you could make the Dakar safer. It's not as if it's possible to stop bystanders from getting too close, and trying to make an easier course would just defeat the point of the rally. I could be wrong but from what I've seen there is quite good support from helicopters etc if/when something does go wrong, too.

Danger is a big part of the Dakar, and part of why it's so interesting. Thumbs Up

SteWhit
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:22 - 18 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dom, yeah i do agree with you on that one, bit like the WRC with all the spectators standing on the corses etc. Hummm i'm sure they will find a way tho - may be more marshalls or something? I dunno - still can't see them stopping it tho

BlueNinja
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:40 - 18 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offence.. but its nature's way of getting back at us for destroying this planet.. even fragile sand deserts.. we just arent ment to do some of the things we do. Its always sad when somone looses there life.. but then people carry on doing it? humans are crazy really Very Happy

palmer
Fiddled Kiddy

PostPosted: 11:47 - 18 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

if they want to put themselves through it, let them.

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:03 - 18 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueNinja wrote:
No offence.. but its nature's way of getting back at us for destroying this planet.. even fragile sand deserts.. we just arent ment to do some of the things we do. Its always sad when somone looses there life.. but then people carry on doing it? humans are crazy really Very Happy

Nothing crazy about wanting to challenge yourself. Imagine being able to say you completed the Dakar, it would be an immense achievement compared to the shallow ones most people make these days. Surely as a biker you can appreciate that risks make life worth living?

@SteWhit - You could never marshall the Dakar in the same way as WRC stuff. Hundreds of km's being completed each day and no 100% set course, etc.

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 12:08 - 18 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueNinja wrote:

Are you some kind of hippy? With that comment and being scared of a 400. Shocked Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

akaDAVE
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:12 - 18 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it would be stopped. Many people die at the Isle of Man TT as well.

I can't see how they can make it safer. The whole attraction is the risk and endurance of venturing into some of the most hostile emvironments. As with round the world sailing they sometimes find themselves in situations where nature and the isolation beats technology.
I presume it is the response time for medical help that is the problem. They seem to have all the sat-nav they need.
If you've got enough people belting along on bikes accross unpredictable terrain for thousands of miles sooner or later someone will be hurt or killed.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:18 - 18 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

People die. It happens, and it is peoples choice to compete. I hope they do not ban it, but if it was UK based it probably would be. The HSE legal bods would be ready to get their claws into it.

All the best

Keith

Doddmaster
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:02 - 18 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I doubt it would be stopped. Many people die at the Isle of Man TT as well

It will only be a few years until that is stopped Sad

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:04 - 18 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much rather die doing something like that, living life to the full, than falling down the stairs and killing myself at home.

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 14:25 - 18 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

akaDAVE wrote:
presume it is the response time for medical help that is the problem. They seem to have all the sat-nav they need.

IMO the response time is fairly impressive. When the Aus rider crashed an air ambulance was there within 20 minutes of it happening. Unfortunately from what I can understand, he'd broken his neck on impact. They are doing what they can - all riders carry sophisticated GPS tracking devices. If a vehicle stops moving the control centre will radio to ask if they're ok, and they can speak back to them/push a response button.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 14:41 - 18 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive no problem with people killing themselves, but when they kill other people, who just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, its a bit dodgy.

I guess African countries arent so strict, but I'm not sure the Dakar race should be taking advantage of this.

No set course means that locals cant avoid the nutters. I think it shd be like WRC, or not go through populated areas.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:43 - 18 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLINWALL wrote:

No set course means that locals cant avoid the nutters. I think it shd be like WRC, or not go through populated areas.

From what I've seen the locals are usually intentionally watching the 'nutters'. I believe rallying has plenty of incidents with injured by standsers as well, and judging by how close most get, I'm not suprised.

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 14:51 - 18 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair WRC in Britain had a big clamp-down a few years ago after Sainz (sp) rolled into some spectators. You can't just walk and stand anywhere on the course anymore, it isn't allowed and if seen happening they threaten to cancel the stage. Unless you've got a press pass or whatever it's just standing in designated areas.

IronMaiden
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:50 - 18 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

maurice wrote:
To be fair WRC in Britain had a big clamp-down a few years ago after Sainz (sp) rolled into some spectators. You can't just walk and stand anywhere on the course anymore, it isn't allowed and if seen happening they threaten to cancel the stage. Unless you've got a press pass or whatever it's just standing in designated areas.

Have you ever noticed how the spectators stand on the outside of the road on corners and then are real surprised when they get hit by the rally cars skidding out of control. Rolling Eyes

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 15:58 - 18 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMaiden wrote:
Have you ever noticed how the spectators stand on the outside of the road on corners and then are real surprised when they get hit by the rally cars skidding out of control. Rolling Eyes

I'm assuming you mean outside the UK? As they've stopped this happening here now. If you are on the outside of the bend you're far enough back behind a rope to stop getting hit.

I've seen it a lot in foreign countries, does seem rather stupid. The problem with organisation like the UK has now is the resulting prices that get passed on to the spectator Sad

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 18:16 - 18 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

People die on bikes and in cars on the UK's roads every year...
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

GearboxGeezer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:10 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its a great race, And I cant see it being stopped because people are being killed. Ok it is sad and when its a spectator then it simply shouldnt of happend as they are what makes the sport what it is. I race cars and I know that every time I get behind the wheel it could be my last time.. But its what makes it so exciting for me.

Id rather die in a race car than live to the age of 80, sitting in a rocking chair infront of a warm fire and looking back on my life and thinking what a waste.

Alot of people just work all day, then sit at home, watch tv, and smoke fags and drink booze, I think its important that everyone should have a hobbie even if its somthing like radio controlled boat driving!!

BlueNinja
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 01:31 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

markcatate wrote:
BlueNinja wrote:

Are you some kind of hippy? With that comment and being scared of a 400. Shocked Laughing

Far from it... and I am not scared of a 400.. im scared of what will happen to me when I get carried away. I just met the girl of my dreams, I have to much to loose to a silly bike crash when I get carried away.

Infact the 3 chaps that died probably had wifes, a house.. a good life..
Why throw it away to prove yourself something??
I can be just as happy on a little popper then something that does 0.60 before you can say sqaushed.

So.. "peace man" Wink Smile

Last edited by BlueNinja on 01:34 - 19 Jan 2006; edited 1 time in total

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 01:33 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueNinja wrote:

Far from it... and I am not scared of a 400.. im scared of what will happen to me when I get carried away. I just met the girl of my dreams, I have to much to loose to a silly bike crash when I get carried away.

So.. "peace man" Wink

No more bikes for j00 buy a hybrid car and leave Shocked

Wink

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:38 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

We take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us.

Very Happy Thumbs Up

BlueNinja
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 01:42 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each to there own.. I just dont see how dying and leaving behind a good life very fun..
Especially as some people starve while we toy with our lives.. just isnt quite right. Confused

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 01:45 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude tell it to some one who cares. Its not my fault all those countries left the empire its there own fault.

Screw 'em.

I love life. Its people like you with the atitudes like that live a boring life.

Wheres my Fried chicken at Shocked
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 99 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2