Dakar - 3 dead

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:46 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueNinja wrote:
Each to there own.. I just dont see how dying and leaving behind a good life very fun..
Especially as some people starve while we toy with our lives.. just isnt quite right. Confused

I disagree. I don't wish to die, but I could trip over my laces and crack my head on the bedpost in ten minutes. Why pussy-foot through life?

I've done a lot of stuff my friends call dangerous, and there are still plenty more I want to do. I know so many people who will look back on their life aged 60 and think "Well, what did I really do?" Staying in and watching EastEnders is not a life, it a method of wasting time.

All my opinions though, obviously! Karma
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BlueNinja
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 01:50 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGee wrote:
Dude tell it to some one who cares. Its not my fault all those countries left the empire its there own fault.

Screw 'em.

I love life. Its people like you with the atitudes like that live a boring life.

Wheres my Fried chicken at Shocked

Maybe life isnt in the fast lane? maybe you are just too scared to think about how much pain people are in so you say stuff it and carry on.. try to put it out of your mind..

Fine by me.. but it doesnt work like that. Im only happy when other people arent in pain... and theres something all of us can do.. but pretending its not there isnt going to help. Think about it..
You see an accident, you think ouch.. and drive slower.. and think of the poor chap who was squashed. The next day you wake up and you have forgotten it..

Go have your fried chicken.. let the rest of the world starve to death.. Thumbs Up

wristjob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:51 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrc in the uk had been stripped of all its spectacle and enjoyment long before the carlos sainz incident(a marshall and some of his mates standing next to a car parked in an escape road).
but as for the dakar or any other endurance event,regulation is hard because if they ban something in one country the route just moves to another country the next year.and as for the safety of competitors more people die per mile running marathons than in all motorsport events combined.
ban running its bad for you!

BlueNinja
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 01:52 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not saying it should be banned...
Anyone who runs themself to death has issues.. Very Happy

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 02:13 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another save the world person yay.

I dont see why I should give them my money. Oh and the whole accident cra....... Oh fuck it at least im not scared of 400cee cee's Laughing

You have issues my friend Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 03:10 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole appeal of something like the Dakar is the harshness and severity of it. Around 90 out of 250(less I think) rider's completed the competition.
The ordeal and the dangers are what intrigue me about it, hoping the rider's will succeed in finishing, hoping they will survive. The rider's must be hoping that but then have that competitive edge to push as much as they dare but so as not to topple over the edge and perhaps fall, catastrophically in some cases.

It isnt meant to make sense logically, but it makes complete sense as a way in which to experience and achieve, and for the people that participate I'm sure it is a way in which to 'live' for them.

People live their live's very differently to one another, to me sitting around watching TV as Silver mentioned isnt living, that is dieing. If these racer's wish to live that bit closer to death then that is their choice and I'm sure they are all fully aware of it.

The children dieing is very tragic, but there arent many places where spectator's watch, where there are more control should be put on spectator's as they are foolishly getting too close as can be seen by watching some footage.

IronMaiden
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:31 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently one of the kid's wasn't killed by a racing driver, it was someone in a backup crew that did it. I think there have been something like 28 deaths since the race started.

I love watching the bikes (my first love) but the big trucks are also really cool to watch! Saw one tip over on a slope, have no idea how they got it upright again! Shocked

There was also a lady bike rider from the UK Thumbs Up ....not sure if she managed to finish?

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:42 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMaiden wrote:

I love watching the bikes (my first love) but the big trucks are also really cool to watch! Saw one tip over on a slope, have no idea how they got it upright again! Shocked

Think I saw that. One of the other trucks attached a winch to its roof and pulled it upright again.

The trucks are pretty cool to watch. Having seen a few first hand at Goodwood you realise just how massive they are. Shocked

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 13:49 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because you ride a big cc bike doesnt mean your going to die. Rolling Eyes

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:48 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blueninja:
Everything in life is a risk. In this country we are very sheltered from quite how fragile our lives our.
Personally, I believe the trick is to understand the risks before you undertake them.

My dad was killed while riding a push bike on the road.
I was a driver in a car accident which saw two other members of this forum listed as 'critical'.

People die from falling off the first step of a step ladder.

How much do you want to insulate your self from risk?
You could say 'why risk throwing away your life by walking up stairs everyday - get a bungalow.'

What if you do nothing 'risky', don't take life in the fast lane, get an office based job, suffer from stress and die from a heart attack at 35, after spending a boring life not enjoying yourself?
I appreciate not everyone enjoys doing 'fast' stuff, but also some people find their lives are a emptier without.

When and if I am in the situation where there will be people who are worse off if I'm not here, I may consider may reconsider the risks I take.
For the moment, I'm happy with the level of risk I am taking.

Why does it make any difference to someone starving whether we kill ourselves or not? Will it make them feel better that we are holding back so that we are more likely to stay alive.

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 15:40 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMaiden wrote:
There was also a lady bike rider from the UK Thumbs Up ....not sure if she managed to finish?

Yeah she did, first one in history I think Thumbs Up

Golf_gti
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:12 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

the people who are rallying in the dakar on bikes, cars or trucks i think they take it into consideration that they may fall off and injure them sleves or even worse die along there journeys, but at least you can think that they died doing something that they loved and had a passion for rather than in a accident or something similar.

well thats what i would of thought Thumbs Up

R.I.P all people who have died participating or watching the dakar.
Sad Thumbs Up

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 23:13 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

its not the people who decided to take the risk we shd care about, its the people they hit

Golf_gti
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:14 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeer good point Thumbs Up

sorry i missed that!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 01:03 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLINWALL wrote:
its not the people who decided to take the risk we shd care about, its the people they hit

They also take a risk.

For less of a point some would say, but I very much doubt anyone that got hit just happened to be passing by. More likely they are there trying to get as close to the action as possible.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 01:57 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

its not a set route in dakar so i dont think its ppl collecting around bends like on car rallys
anders This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:20 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLINWALL wrote:
its not a set route in dakar so i dont think its ppl collecting around bends like on car rallys

Watch the TV reports. They /do/ collect around the common routes to watch the vehicles go past.
anders This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 18:50 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Watch the TV reports. They /do/ collect around the common routes to watch the vehicles go past.

And they also randomnly wander the plains, tending to the animals/whatever.

Without any information, automatically assuming the people killed were there 'for the racing' is disrespectful Imo.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:00 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

maurice wrote:

Without any information, automatically assuming the people killed were there 'for the racing' is disrespectful Imo.

This is based on the information I have - very little I admit (ie viewing TV reports unrelated to the deaths.)

I wouldn't have thought it wouldn't be hard to avoid such vehicles if you wanted to. They're not exactly quiet, for a start.

Does anyone have any official reports about these deaths?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 61 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2