Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Woot! Ciggy Lighter Fitted!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Woot! Ciggy Lighter Fitted! Reply with quote

Right

Following on from my thread yesterday that i deleted, i went down to halfrauds and invested in a £5 3 into 1 ciggy lighter for a car.

Arrow Brought it home and snipped off the end (The plug).

Arrow Split the two wires, as they come glued together.

Arrow Connected the earth wire to the battery negative terminal (Using those circular terminal connectors)

Arrow Then wired up the live to my ignition wire.

Arrow This now means that the cig lighter is only on when the ignition is on, and that if anything goes wrong i can simply hit the ignition off to kill it.

I also fitted an inline fuse of 30amps (might knock it down to a 20 amp though).

Voila, mounted it under my seat, and im good to go Thumbs Up

1 Port is allready being used, i got me a small ciggarette lighter powered green accent light, that is now lighting up my clock on the dash for night time use Laughing

Now i can run say, Phone charger on it, or i can plug in a portable pump for airbeds when i go camping, or maybe, just maybe, even a ciggarette lighter?

Laughing

Pics:

Crap picture, but you get the idea... this is the LED glowing over my clock

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/dvc00381.jpg

Up CLose

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/dvc00377.jpg

Fitted under the seat, ignition on, so the LED Glow of the ports themselves is visible slightly

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/dvc00378.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

phill.c
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:05 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

not a bad idea, good if you go on trips all the time. your bike need a fookin good clean tho Shocked Laughing

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 14:07 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very cool idea. Would be handy to have for charging phones/cameras/etc when camping. Thumbs Up

Nice one! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive just got back from college, the shite on the road just coats the plastics in a thick layer in seconds.

But yes, Jetwash is next Wink

Bod
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:11 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and a mate are off for a europe trip, needed sommat to charge my pda while travelling.. You have saved me some searching cheers.

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

30 amps is defenately too high, anything over 15 is asking for truoble and fryed wires.. (check your fusebox, if the highest fuse is 10 then thats what you should be useing!, presonally i'd be useing 10amp)

Mobiles and small electronics will be totaly fine air bed pump would be ok too, just be carefull not to overload it (hairdryers, hoovers e.t.c....)

Just be carefull what your pluging in Wink ideally you should be runing this lot off a relay, ignition wire is the switch, power is off the battery, dead easy to fit, get them from a car breakers..

Personally i got one of these, not often i've needed one, its powered an inverter which ran a laptop for a fair bit of time with no probs..
https://www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk/VWPweb2000/switch-3/Images/GroupImage20.GIF

TOM M
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:06 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

A really good idea that Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:52 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with mr.z. You should really use a relay with that, use the ignition wiring as a 'switching' current. I usually take a switching current off the feed to one of the brake light switches.

With a relay, the load carrying wiring is dedicated to that socket only and not connected to any of the other systems on the bike.

Some of the devices you could put in a cigarette lighter socket are very high draw and would pop your main fuse the way you have it leaving you unable to ride the bike. A good example of one of these high draw devices is a cigarette lighter.

R4nger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:06 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can not believe that so many people have not thought of this. You should all be shot for stupidity.

syl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:12 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

R4nger wrote:
I can not believe that so many people have not thought of this. You should all be shot for stupidity.

These days with people adding GPS, heated grips, heated clothing etc. all the time I can't believe the bike makers don't put a couple of extra switched wires on the loom with spaces for fuses in the main box terminating in some kind of standard connector (smaller than a cigarette lighter socket) that you could just plug your accessories onto. It would cost them pennies and weigh next to nothing. OK, perhaps not on supersports bikes, but on everyday commuters and tourers certainly.

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:50 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmahon wrote:
These days with people adding GPS, heated grips, heated clothing etc. all the time I can't believe the bike makers don't put a couple of extra switched wires on the loom with spaces for fuses in the main box terminating in some kind of standard connector

They do, bmw sell bikes with sockets, fused..
https://www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk/VWPweb2000/switch-3/Images/GroupImage6.GIF

Like these, very good they are too, waterproof and a sensible size.. garmin and heated clothign companys sell power leads with bmw/DIN plugs on the allready Thumbs Up

As ive fitted so much stuff ive ended up adding a small extra fuse box and each fuse has its own battery feed, could probably be switched off one big phat high current relay but as half are for lighting they all have their own relays...

(vwp sell the o-ring sealed fuse boxes for £5/6 and up, worth the effort and cost)

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:56 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i was thiking about a relay, but then it occured to me that i dont actually know how i woud connect one up / how it would work etc... care to explain? Laughing

On a side note, just thinking of switching it around, so the live is straght from the battery - then the fuse, then the cig lighter ports, but then where woud i put the earth for a switch? I couldnt connect the earth to the ignition wire because it needs an earth, not a live

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:59 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stinkwheel wrote a good guide for them here:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=44421
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:32 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot I had done that Embarassed

You want a single throw relay and wire it up like this (substitute 'lighter socket' for GPS).

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/gpswire.jpg

Now the cigarette lighter socket is sorted, when can we expect to see the ashtray?

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:38 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most ATVs have this as standard so it obviously isn't a problem.
They should all have it, at least on faired bikes it would be easy to tuck in there somewhere!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Knowlsey
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:49 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

phill.c wrote:
not a bad idea, good if you go on trips all the time. your bike need a fookin good clean tho Shocked Laughing

Its a gs5, they all like like that under the seat,, well 90percent anyway Very Happy

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:52 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowlsey wrote:
Its a gs5, they all like like that under the seat,, well 90percent anyway Very Happy

This dude knows what hes on about Thumbs Up Laughing

Stinkwheel, you sir are a legend, and as long as your idea there is safe enough to run an actual cigarette lighter unit off the sockets, then the ashtray will be very soon i promise Laughing

Will incorporate it in my "Custom Dash" which will be next.

God there is so much insulating tape around it atm Embarassed

Lee_367
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:32 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could definitely do with a relay, most cigarette lighters are only fused at 10amps as they only use 1mm^2 wire which is suitable for around 13 amps.

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 02:25 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would Most defonatly use a Relay in that setup because if you do burn the ignition wire out from overload, Then you arent going to beable to start the bike either! Laughing

Its easy as to fit a relay to what you have like.

The current live you are using now, Disconnect it from the Ciggy ligher thing, and wire it onto the Switching side of the relay (the Terminal with the LOWER number on it)

Then from the opposite terminal to the (the other low number), Simply earth it.

The for the power, Run a fresh live from battery to the Relay (Terminal with the Higher number on it), Then from the opposite terminal to that, Run it to the Ciggy ligher.

Hey presto, You have already wired the rest up anyway.

This way, it will still come on with the ignition, but its running a Much higher load taking loom, so you wont run the risk of burning somthing out.

<|Ben|>

8Ball
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 05:20 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a complete electrical and mechanical gimp so I wouldn't want to start mucking about with the ignition or any other wires on the bike.

Could the socket be wired to the battery direct with an inline fuse and not cause problems? I realise this means it would run when the ignition is not switched on, but I'd just be careful.

Thanks
8Ball

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

8Ball wrote:
Could the socket be wired to the battery direct with an inline fuse and not cause problems? I realise this means it would run when the ignition is not switched on,

No, for that reason. Else my battery would not last a day.

Just to clear up a few things, the kit is still under my seat, i had a non related ignition failure (The solder inside the barrel came unstuck), so had to disconnect everything running off the ignition to diagnose it.

It is currently waiting on a relay ( Thumbs Up Stinkwheel, Binge Mr.Z) and then it will be back to working order soon.

8Ball
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:59 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely though unplugging whatever is in there when the bike is turned off will stop the battery discharging. That or you could put a little inline switch in there.

riichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

good ider if you smoke Wink

wonder if they will start putting them as standard on some bikes Shocked

Teaman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:16 - 05 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

riichy wrote:
good ider if you smoke Wink

wonder if they will start putting them as standard on some bikes Shocked

goldwing, say no more Smile

anyway,, my bike has aux power leads to plug owt in fused and stuff aswell, not that ive ever done it,
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 58 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1