BCF: Bike Chat Forums

My project.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 12:10 - 21 Jan 2006    Post subject: My project. Reply with quote

i'm sure few of you here will actually give a toss but anyway i've decided to show you all what i'm doing for school at the moment.

This time last week, on Saturday 14th of January i purchased a 1995 Suzuki GSF250 Bandit for 2,800 dhs which is 470 Pounds. The bike was bought with every intention of a complete rebuild given the poor condition it was in.

I won't bother going into huge amounts of detail like i've done for my log book but now all i'm left with is a complete bare frame and all the components. The frame, wheels, clips ons, swing arm and yokes are going to be taken for sandblasting after i'm done with this post.

Mechanically, the bike's pretty sound except the rear shock needs replacing as do the front fork seals. However, i'm going to be taking the carbs and top end apart just to give the examiners some kicks and to show that i pretty much know what i'm doing. Plus it'll give me a chance to clean everything out and make it run smoother.

It was really satisfying seeing the frame balancing on it's centre stand an hour ago looking like a bloomin dinosaur Laughing .

So here are some of the pics of it. Check em out and tell me what i'm doing wrong, anything i should be checking over etc. Anyone with hints and tips about strip downs feel free to PM me the more detailed the better Thumbs Up

Cheers

Chris.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

greatmoorred
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:35 - 21 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok youve done the easy bit. Now the hard part Very Happy

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 16:01 - 21 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

greatmoorred wrote:
Ok youve done the easy bit. Now the hard part Very Happy

what's that? putting it back together? Laughing

i know i reckon it'll take me a good two months to get it all perfected Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

palmer
Fiddled Kiddy

PostPosted: 16:13 - 21 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like a mini bandit.

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 16:16 - 21 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's cuz it IS a mini bandit Laughing

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:27 - 21 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't let the sandblasters ger near any threads or seals etc, they'll come back funny shaped. plug the holes with whatever you can, same with painting - if you respray, don't get any in the thread. Same goes for anything where a precise fit is required.

Are you doing it up to stock, or are you streetfightering it?

Good luck Thumbs Up

Jack

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 16:35 - 21 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for that jack, hadn't even crossed my mind to plug the holes!!!

as far as restoration is concerned, money's a bit limited so i'm thinking about straight handle bars and exhaust.

i'm not really knowledgeable on street fighters at all, what does your typical fighter have done? apart from what i've said and a different tail unit...

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 21 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The typical fighter sucks a bit in my opinion, the tail usually looks stupid. Bikes like the speed triple, buell, cagiva raptor, ducati monster all look cooler than your typical streetfighter. Subtle changes are the best to make - they complete a design. The whole "let's see how high we can have the tail unit" idea is stupid. Scour pictures of bikes on google and bikepics. You need some inspiration! Very Happy

Jack

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 17:32 - 21 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree about the tail unit! there's a stunter out here whose got his tail unit as high as his bloody head! probably so he doesn't fall off when doing 12 o clock wheelies!

the typical street fighter pics i've found so far are these ones.

https://www.midnight-ride.com/images/Events_2001/barnsley/present11.JPG

judging by this picture and the attached files, i'd say a street fighter's gotta have uprated brakes, LOUD ASS exhaust, suspension and a single seat unit.

i can't say i've been a huge fan of street fightering but it's growing on me...

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 19:37 - 21 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some ones gonna have some fun Laughing

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:27 - 21 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must admit, those ones look nice. Especially like that gixxer in matt black with the Ducati tail unit.

The one with flip paint looks pretty sweet, too

Jack

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 10:13 - 22 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGee wrote:
Some ones gonna have some fun Laughing

too right!!

took the parts to be sandblasted today gonna go pick em up in a bit and i'll get some piccys taken.

as for paint scheme, i'm going for a silver frame, matt black body work, black wheels and red rim tape Twisted Evil

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 14:37 - 22 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red rim tape for the win !

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 14:39 - 22 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know! it looks the shiz! i still haven't got my parts fecking sand blasted yet, the mate that's doing em for me is doing a ship at the moment. sheesh he needs to get his priorities straight! Rolling Eyes

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 14:59 - 22 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHA Damn straight tell him to get his ass in gear now Laughing

Any other mods planned.

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 16:09 - 22 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah not much else, straight handle bars, crazy loud exhaust, possibly a new rear shock cuz this one's shagged. and after a while of saving up, EBC front and rear discs and HEL braided lines...that's all a while away though Sad

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:12 - 22 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you're abusing ebay for the parts you need. You could save yourself quite a tidy sum over new prices, and breaker's prices.

Jack

Last edited by Jack_Cheese on 18:20 - 22 Jan 2006; edited 1 time in total

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 16:47 - 22 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've done a quick trawl on ebay and nothing came up Sad

jonnay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 22 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indies need chucking into a dark corner of the workshop never to be seen again... Laughing

SoND
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:12 - 22 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a fun project. Good luck with it Thumbs Up

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 18:31 - 22 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnay wrote:
Indies need chucking into a dark corner of the workshop never to be seen again... Laughing

eh?!

cheers sond Thumbs Up

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:05 - 22 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're not required for a UK MOT. All you need for a daytime MOT is a horn.

Jack

quik_d
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 23:36 - 22 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnay wrote:

dont say that!

Embarassed they're the same indicators i've got on my bike Twisted Evil

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 06:11 - 23 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohhh right! indicators! i've only ever heard them reffered to as cators, never indies! anyway they'll be staying because i'm a regular night rider...that's when all fugging loons get off the road and the bikers get on Twisted Evil

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 16:04 - 26 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

frame and swingarm just got sandblast and i'm getting em back on saturday or sunday to be powdercoated Very Happy

i also got told i couldn't sandblast the wheels because it'd damage them, are the guys just talking out of their arses or is it actually not possible...if it's not how else do i clean em up to get rid of pitting?

chris
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 96 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13