|
|
| Author |
Message |
| photons |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 photons L Plate Warrior
Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ancientd |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ancientd Renault 5 Driver

Joined: 22 Jan 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 17:45 - 23 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Sounds like it, the question is if you knew about him why on earth did you take your bike there. Fitting a chain and sprockets is about an hours work, and I would say that you should be paying well under £100 for the chain and sprocket set, in fact checking on M & P's the chgaim is under £20, the rear sprocket under £10 and a front sprocket less than £5. My charge for the job would have been about £50. A service is generally about 2 hours and depending on what the mileage is would depend on how thorough the service was. The most labour that I would charge would be 3 hours and that would be for the full service including oil, filter, spark plug, air filter and checking on valve clearances, brakes and bearings. ____________________ I ride 3 bikes, a Thundercat, an FZRexup 1000 Streetfighter and a Jawa 350 Combo, something for all seasons. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 18:31 - 23 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Depends on how thorough a service. I was about £140-£180 for dealer servicing on my MZ baghira (4-stroke single, dry sump so small oil capacity). That was to include everything in the book so oil and filter, air filter, tappets, fork oil, brake fluid, oil cables, new plug etc. (they didn't actually do it all which is somewhat besides the point and I have dealt with that in my own way.)
So if he is doing all this with a chain and sprockets I would say it is expensive but not totally excessive (in the same way that you could buy the same TV in Argos for a lot less than it would be in Dixons). ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| BenBray |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 BenBray Spanner Monkey

Joined: 05 Aug 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 20:12 - 23 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hi
Depends on what the bits are. Suspect from Suzuki a clutch cable will be £10~£20. Air filter at least £10. Plug £5. Chain and sprockets £35 (assume on those he doesn't get them from Suzuki). Oil filter £5. Oil £10. That is at least £75 before you pay for the labour. Not sure what his hourly rate is but even at £25 an hour that is around about what you are expecting.
All the best
Keith ____________________ Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| BenBray |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 BenBray Spanner Monkey

Joined: 05 Aug 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 20:35 - 23 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Chain: £25
Front Sprocket: £10
Rear Sprocket:£15
I'd go with what keith expects for the other parts.
The rear brake cable from Suzuki for the marauder is £50 odd quid. Whatever you do, dont break that  ____________________ Current Bike: nc30 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Knowlsey |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Knowlsey Scooby Slapper

Joined: 07 Apr 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| photons |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 photons L Plate Warrior
Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 18:39 - 24 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Just to make a point, I heard complaints about the mechanic during the servicing, so I was too late in canceling the service.
I took my bike to the garage on friday, he started the servicing on saturday,monday, tuesday and tomorrow he said I may be able to collect my bike.
He said that my rear bike pads were dangerous and werent attached properly and yet my bike passed its MOT in October 05?
I've just found out that the cost of the Servicing and the repaired chain will set me back £215.
I'm getting my bill itemised and I will get it sent to another garage to check whether any new parts have been fitted, if not I will get onto Trading standards.
Has anybody got any advice onto what other action I could take?
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| BenBray |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 BenBray Spanner Monkey

Joined: 05 Aug 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 18:56 - 24 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Heres a list of some of the parts I've had replaced:
Rear Tyre: £75.00
Front Brake Pads: £16.50
Chain: £25.00
Front Sprocket: £10.00
Rear Sprocket: £15.00
Rear Brake Cable: £55 [wtf ]
Cable Comp, Stop Lamp: £14.50
Spring: £3.00
Take out the rear tyre, that ads up to about £125? Thats about 2-2.5 hours labour, 96.94 after VAT.
What you're being quoted for a service and new chain and sprockets does seem fair.
Not included in the above is the new front caliper I should get, as when I binned it something snapped off in the caliper. It's not life-or-death, but shit gets to the pistons a lot faster thus it needs overhauling regularly. New front caliper for a marauder125 is over £200 [from Suzuki].
Marauders aren't cheap bikes dude, I think you may just have to suck it up.
Edit: Got all of the above discounted cause I'm good mates with the owners kid  ____________________ Current Bike: nc30 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| photons |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 photons L Plate Warrior
Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 20:07 - 24 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
The rear tire hasnt been replaced, so why would it cost £75 for the rear tire? I mentioned that the Bike passed its MOT in oct 05, so why would the rear brake pads be worn out enough to pose a danger? I'm not too sure, the bike has a low mileage and has had a recent MOT. I was quoted from another bike garage that a service would cost £50-£100, it just does not seem to add up. The mechanic could easily mention that a particular part needs replacing but how do I know he isnt conning me into spending more, and how would I know whether he has replaced the parts or whether he has just left them?
Being aware of his dodgy profession I am not totally convinced that my bike has been serviced fairly.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ancientd |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ancientd Renault 5 Driver

Joined: 22 Jan 2006 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MikeH |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MikeH Brolly Dolly

Joined: 10 Dec 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| BenBray |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 BenBray Spanner Monkey

Joined: 05 Aug 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 23:05 - 24 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I know you havn't had a rear tire or new rear brake line. I'm just giving you some costs to think about later on down the line - trying to be of some help so you will know how much your parts should cost you in the future. Why're you so focused on this guy ripping you off? If he's known to trading standards - he probably knows it. With summer coming, I bet he doesn't want to be out of business.
The MOT was October, right? My bike passed it's MOT in the middle of october. Needed new rear shoes and front pads since then. I've needed to change the oil and oil filter since then. I've given the air filter a blast with compressed air. It's had two new tyres, and I've had to replace a headlight bulb. I've probably done many more miles than you, but the point is, I've had to do it.
Work like chaning your oil and oil filter is dead simple. Installing front pads seems relatively simple, and if I had a paddock stand I'm sure I could do my chain and sprockets. I've never looked into clutch cable replacement before, nor have I looked at rear shoes, but I can imagine shoes being fairly straight-forward.
The great thing about a motorbike is that its fairly easy to do work on it yourself. You'll save loads of money.
You mentioned the service to the other garage. Did this include chain and sprockets, or any of the other things the other guy has found?
We're trying to help here, if you're determined to believe he's ripping you off then so be it. ____________________ Current Bike: nc30 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Guest |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Guest Brolly Dolly
Joined: 22 Apr 2004 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 20 years, 255 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|