Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Boyfriend refuses to be a bikey

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

bindy
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 04 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:54 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Boyfriend refuses to be a bikey Reply with quote

Hello all, does anyone in here think its sh** to have a boyfriend or girlfriend who dosen't have any interest in bikes? I am obsessed and my boyfriend couldn't care less. I have tried to get him into bikes but It is almost like a bikey person needs a bikey partner. I just wish he understood how fun it was. Anyone else here find it annoying??
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

McGee
O RLY?



Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:03 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell him no bikey no fookey Wink
____________________
◙◙► K6 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 1000 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► 96 RF600r ◄◙◙
◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►
Its pronounced Jixxer!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:18 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

as a girl, you wdnt find it hard to replace him with a biker bloke
biker females are a bit thinner on the ground
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rookie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:19 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be happy that he allows you! We've had people on here break up because the biker was given an ultimatum - their partner or their bike.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:32 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

good point
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ISLAND GIRL
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:40 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bindy, I was not at all interested in bikes or riding myself up until last October. I was quite content to simply ride pillion with the OH and could not care less but then I decided that I would like to give it a go and learn to ride. I was not forced into, maybe given some encouragement and now four months on I ride my own 600! Give him time, dont force it upon him, he may just come round to the idea. If anything now my OH tells me to shut up keep going on about bikes etc, lol !
____________________
Live on the Isle of Wight and ride a CBR600F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

R6 JACK
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 16 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:11 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ex was not interested at all she could not understand why I liked them so much she hated them.
She had no interest in even wanting to try and find out which realy sucked so she had to go.
Sad


JAck
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:37 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie wrote:
Be happy that he allows you! We've had people on here break up because the biker was given an ultimatum - their partner or their bike.


I told my missus when we first started seeing each other that i would always have a bike and she accepted that .She doesnt like bikes at all and would never get on the back (gives us our own time aswell) but 4 years later we are still together with a 10 month old daughter. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ranger05
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 06 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:00 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imo its a great thing having a partner who doesnt like bikes, means you can bugger off at weekends and enjoy the freedom that a bike gives you even more.

My missus hates my bike thank fook Very Happy
____________________
K5 gixxer 600, Yoshimura carbon can, Dynojet USB.- sold
04 YZF-R1- Silver/Black, Devil titanium exhaust de-cat.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:04 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wife doesn't try and stop me, but she has zero interest in bikes.

Bought her the gear to go on the back and in the last year, she has spent 30 minutes on the back. Apparently screaming all that time.

When she came off the bike she looked like she was going to faint, this ride was all 30 / 40 zones and I didn't speed or anything.
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:23 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll just bask in the perfection of a relationship between two bikers. Very Happy


I have always made an effort to show some interest in my partner's hobbies (I even nod and smile when Jon talks geeky stuff). If your boyfriend doesn't seem to have any motivation to even try to enjoy biking then he's not really making the best effort in the relationship - ditch him! Wink
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Suzuki
Roger



Joined: 03 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:27 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:
I have always made an effort to show some interest in my partner's hobbies


Indeed.

I'm going bowling with a bunch of 14 year old guides tonight. Confused Shocked

Relationships are two-way things. If he's just taking, then it's probably not the right relationship for you.
____________________
<Simple> no I'm shaven Jon Razz
<Simple> it is a big enough hole.. I'll leave it now
Ride: 1999 Suzuki GSXR600 (yellow/black) IRC: Stats - Relationship Map
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:38 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki wrote:

I'm going bowling with a bunch of 14 year old guides tonight. Confused Shocked




Enough of your moaning, besides, they're 11 year old guides making their promised Razz

You are the "chief photographer" and the girls also think you are some kind of god.
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Suzuki
Roger



Joined: 03 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:40 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. Now I'm going to take pictures of 11 year olds, at a bowling alley.

Can this get any more dodgy? Laughing

"Can you hold my ball while I take a picture?"
____________________
<Simple> no I'm shaven Jon Razz
<Simple> it is a big enough hole.. I'll leave it now
Ride: 1999 Suzuki GSXR600 (yellow/black) IRC: Stats - Relationship Map
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

illusion
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 04 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:58 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I hope you are going to post them up here??

joke!!!
____________________
My bike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Chr!S
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 17 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:19 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki wrote:


"Can you hold my ball while I take a picture?"



Bawhahhaha
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Adam_P
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:21 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:
(I even nod and smile when Jon talks geeky stuff).


And

Quote:
and the girls also think you are some kind of god.


Surely these two are mutually exclusive???? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
____________________
Colin McRae MBE 1968 - 2007 RIP Sad
Orwell Rolls in his Grave
God is imaginary
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Suzuki
Roger



Joined: 03 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:23 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam_P wrote:
Surely these two are mutually exclusive???? Laughing


You have much to learn young grasshopper!
____________________
<Simple> no I'm shaven Jon Razz
<Simple> it is a big enough hole.. I'll leave it now
Ride: 1999 Suzuki GSXR600 (yellow/black) IRC: Stats - Relationship Map
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:24 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot depends on which other bits of your lives coincide. It doesn't necessarily hurt a relationship to have different interests and hobbies but as Jon and Bella have said, at least showing a passing interest shows some sort of commitment to the relationship.

My partner loves to tinker with our bikes as well as ride them, and also fixes bikes and scooters for a living. I'm about as mechanically minded as a housebrick, I'm an accountant. So in the evenings he may tell me about his day in detail, explaining about all the little engine bits that have been giving him a hard time. Often he may as well be talking a foreign language, but I still listen and sympathise over the bad bits (although I often have to ask "is that good or bad?" to find out what the bad bits are!)

If bikes and biking are the only thing you don't share then you probably haven't got a major problem. If he gets jealous of the time you spend riding your bikes and starts to quiz you about where you've been and who you've been with then the warning bells should be ringing.
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

FreshAL
Sir Crashalot



Joined: 04 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:30 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Re: Boyfriend refuses to be a bikey Reply with quote

bindy wrote:
Hello all, does anyone in here think its sh** to have a boyfriend or girlfriend who dosen't have any interest in bikes? I am obsessed and my boyfriend couldn't care less. I have tried to get him into bikes but It is almost like a bikey person needs a bikey partner. I just wish he understood how fun it was. Anyone else here find it annoying??


Depends. It's important to have things you share, but just as important to retain some individuality.

Me and my missus share loads, but biking is my 'thing' - time on the bike is my own. I wouldn't mind if she wanted to get into bikes, but I'd need to find something else to do on my own.

As long as you're sharing other things and he understands how important biking is to you, enjoy the space & time with your biking mates!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

danzai66
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:03 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

just about managed to keep my missus in a bike shop long enough to point out the differences between an R6 an R1 and a fazer.

i have to go to a perfume counter as recompense...!

she even knows who Chuck Liddel is.

well trained she is.

my missus.

smacked your missus..
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Superlight
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 18 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:17 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, as long as there's none of that "it's me or the bike" stuff, I don't think it's a problem.

My other half is quite happy to come out for a blast every now and then, and might actually do her bike test one day, but I wouldn't mind if she wasn't in to it.

Put it this way: I wouldn't take up cross stitch just so I could spend more time with her, comparing yarns at a craft show.

(Ok, she doesn't do that anyway, but that's not the point!)
____________________
You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move but should, use the WD-40.
If it shouldn't move but does, use the Duct Tape.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ZZR Girl
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 31 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:36 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been with my current partner for about 13 years so wasn't with him when I first started biking in the 1980s. About 5 years ago, I decided I would like to get back into biking again but he really wasn't keen on me doing it so I let it drop. Last year, I was talking to my neighbour, Mark, who has a bike, and afterwards mentioned to my partner that I really would like to get another bike myself. His reply? "If it makes you happy, then go for it!" So I did. Ten minutes later I was on the internet looking at bikes, and a couple of months later, my new bike was in the garage!

He doesn't have any interest himself to get one but appreciates my bike. I caught him looking longingly at it when I got it out the other day! He also doesn't mind when I say I'm going out for a ride.
____________________
Keep it shiny!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:58 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki wrote:

I'm going bowling with a bunch of 14 year old guides tonight.


You fucking lucky bastard. And taking pictures too.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Method
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:25 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

illusion wrote:
And I hope you are going to post them up here??

I always knew i should be weary of you... Wink
____________________
CBT Aug '03 ... Gilera GSM 50 ... Honda NSR 125 Aug '04 ...
Full Test Dec 04... Suzuki GS500 Jan 05... Suzuki SV650 Mar 07... Gixxer 6 K5 May 08... Oh and my 'Rado Wink
My Bikepics.com - No Brakes, No Gears... No Fear.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 255 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 0.33 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 133.8 Kb