Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Touring on the bike.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ranger05
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:57 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Touring on the bike. Reply with quote

Im planning going a few decent trips away on the bike this year and was wondering....

What the hell do you do if you get a puncture somewhere really remote?, like the far north of Scotland for example.
Do most people who tour have breakdown cover? and if you do get recovered, in a remote area where would you get taken to for a repair?

Cheers.

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have RAC cover... if i breakdown somewhere not too far from me i would jsut get brought home.

If i had the money, and i knew it would be an easy job to fix, i would get dropped off in the biggest city thats close to where i broke down with a bike shop, and pay for it to get fixed. Big city because theres more chance of finding a shop that will help you out, and more chance of finding accomodation should you need it.

I would get dropped off as close to where i broke down as i could, that way your not missing out on too many riding miles.

Puncture wise there are these things about called "instant repair kits for tubless tyres". Basically you shove it in your tyre and the goooey stuff works its way through the tyre and blocks up the puncture. Then you inflate, i would imagine? never used them myself.

On a side note you should always carry a toolkit when touring. I always carry around a basic toolkit that seems to help me out through anything that i can physically fix on the side of the road:

Arrow Pliers
Arrow Side Cutters
Arrow Phillips / Crosspoint driver
Arrow Flat driver
Arrow 10mm Spanner (ring and C )
Arrow 8mm socket (longreach)
Arrow 12mm spanner (ring and C )
Arrow 10mm socket (longreach)
Arrow 22mm spanner (For the real wheel nut!)
Arrow 1/4 Ratchet + Extension bar
Arrow 3/4 Ratchet (flexi)
Arrow Spare Wire
Arrow Range of fuses
Arrow Insulating tape
Arrow Spare clutch lever ( that can be double up backwards as a front brake lever Thumbs Up )
Arrow Small oil topup
Arrow Small brakefluid topup
Arrow Chain lube
Arrow RAC Card
Arrow Mobile Phone (with credit)
Arrow Debit card (to pay for any repairs / credit topups)
Arrow Phone Charger
Arrow Gaffa Tape!!!!!!
Laughing Think thats about it, im sure theres more, and although it might seem a lot, it all fits into the side pockets in my tankbag (apart from the chain lube).

Hope thats of some use!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ranger05
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:59 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, some great advice Smile

I'll defo get some RAC or AA cover before travelling, But thats some ammount of kit you carry,

I was thinking along the lines of only taking a small back pack with some toiletries, spare undies and some clothes to wear to the pub @ night, i.e travel light as possible so that i can enjoy the roads without carrying too much excess weight.

Do you think you'd be ok with just breakdown cover or am i being a bit gung ho? Im new to the whole touring on my bike thing in case you hadnt guessed Smile

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:40 - 25 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get some throwover paniers. You will barely notice them when you're riding and they will give you space to carry whatever you need. You can stick a security chain in one and some tools in the other to balance out the weight distribution.

Whilst traveling light is the most important guideline for motorcycle touring, you really do want a few sets of clothes. Also a good idea to take waterproof overgear unless you ride in textiles, and a pair of trainers so you can walk around in comfort and generally look less of a prat when you're away from the bike Thumbs Up

Dave_ZedDragen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:39 - 25 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

For puncture repairs there are these kits available https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=MCYCLE&pcode=MTX5060375:

https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/resources/images/zoom/MTX5060375.jpg

they include everything you need to effect a roadside repair and cost about £19. Your basically filling the punctured hole with a rubber bung that you glue in, chopping off the excess, then using a gas canister to re-inflate your tyre.

Ive used this before and they are easy to use and very effective.

Theres alsothe tyre slime stuff: https://www.highriders.co.uk/catalog/product_201_Tyre_Slime.html

https://www.highriders.co.uk/image.php?productid=201

Lots of people swear by this stuff but there are lots of mixed reviews. Ive never used it myself but my housemate does...although he's never had a puncture to test it with as far as i know. It is basically meant to ooze out of a punctured hole and seal it up preventing a puncture. Thats the theory anyway, ive heard some bad things about it too, like how it's supposed to affect wheel balancing.....but i havnt found out enough about it myself to comment.

I agree with the above mention of a tool kit and some necesities like chain lube etc.

The mobile phone is always useful, ive actually wired in a cigarette lighter for charging my phone. It's one of those ones available from car accesory shops for £3 and it just goes under my pillion seat.....one like this: https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5856254600
https://i11.ebayimg.com/04/i/05/4f/0a/05_1_b.JPG

I'd also recommend having a torch with you, ive got a wind-up led one and a tiny led one that attaches to my keys.

Good luck with your touring, it's great fun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 12:54 - 25 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

preludedragon wrote:

I've had one of these under my seat for getting on 2 years and never had to use it, though it's nice knowing it's there when you're in a remote area.

Nath wrote:
Get some throwover paniers. You will barely notice them when you're riding and they will give you space to carry whatever you need.

They can get in the way on a sportsbike, mine restricted hanging off to an extent. With the minimalistic seat unit on a k5 gixxer it could be an issue.

There's upsides and downsides to RAC and the AA. I've never heard of the RAC actually fixing a bike at the side of the road, while the AA seem to be a bit better. However the AA policy is to charge your insurance company to pick your bike up after a crash, even if nothing else is involved. Plenty of other (often cheaper) alternatives.

Ranger05
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:54 - 25 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff guys, i'll have to invest a little on gear before setting off then, seams panniers are be a must. and those puncture kits will help me relax in the more remote areas Thumbs Up

Ranger05
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:58 - 25 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="maurice]
They can get in the way on a sportsbike, mine restricted hanging off to an extent. With the minimalistic seat unit on a k5 gixxer it could be an issue.
[/quote]

I think you can get panniers specifically for sports bikes that are quite small and unobtrusive. I'll have to check it out

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 13:19 - 25 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine were Oxford Sports Humpback.... It wouldn't be a bad idea to try some of your mates panniers on there, see how they feel.

With all the attachments in place mine were coming slightly forward of the rear seat.

Dave_ZedDragen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:38 - 25 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

a word of warning if your going to remote places on a sportsbike. Think carefully about your petrol and fill up at every opportunity and try to keep make sure that you pass through towns along the way.

The highlands of Scotland can be a nightmare for finding petrol, my Z1000 has an 18l tank and thats only good for about 120 miles at the most and ive had a few panicking times whilst touring around up to the highlands.

Not every town will actually have a petrol station, and some may be so remote they don't open regular hours so they could be closed when needed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 23:50 - 25 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

maurice is quite a big lad on a smallish bike

I have some 2nd hand sports panniers off ebay that I use on my tt600 with no problems.

but then I havnt done long trips and I probably dont ride as hard as maurice

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:39 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly recommend that SLIME, the green bottle pictured above.

I was told not to fit it if I had a slow puncture. I did have a slowie, but the slime sorted it. If you put it in the tyre without a centre or paddock stand, then you will never spread it out evenly, but if you get the back wheel in the air and slowly rotate it after putting it in then balance won't be affected.

I have had two rear tyre blowouts, and now don't like to ride without using slime. I swear by it, and it costs peanuts compared to a trashed bike.

Barney
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:47 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we are on the subject of touring on a bike, how would you go about fitting a tent to it? Any advice on which tent to go for?

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 19:35 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Vango Tempest 200 for last summer, it was really good. Not very wide, so doesn't catch the wind and light at 2.5kg. Luggage racks are really handy for carry tents as they bungee securely to them...

https://www.walesbikers.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/MauPics/europe05/normal_Picture%20031.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 76 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1