Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Bike wont start

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

RickHolt
Traffic Copper



Joined: 17 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:52 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Bike wont start Reply with quote

I've got a GS500. Started it up the other day and backed it out of the garage, when I went to shut the garage the bike died (happens quite often when I don't give it enough choke). Since then the bike wont start, it makes a sound like the starter motor is trying but not getting anywhere. We've checked all the electrics and they work, changed the battery, and tried it with a booster.

I've just tried something that I should have tried before. I put the bike in gear and tried to move the back wheel with the clutch pulled in. It wont move at all. So I'm guessing it's the clutch.

What am I likely to need to do with it? I've got the book and will figure it out with my dad anyway but would be nice to know if this is going to take ages and cost a fortune. Start a new job on Monday and need something reliable enough to get me there.

Rick.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bezzer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:24 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget about the actual clutch, that has no bearing whatsoever on it dying or not starting (ignoring the clutch switch).
Find out if you've got a spark first, take the plugs out and turn it over with them earthing on the cylinder -DON'T HOLD THEM-
should be getting a fat blue spark, if not then clean them up and try again, probably something as simple as dirty wet plugs stopping it from firing.
If they check out then go to fuel checks but try the plugs first then get back if they are OK.
____________________
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not quite so sure.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ancientd
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:42 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the plugs to see if they are wet. if wet and do not smell of petrol you could have a bad head gasket. Try to turn the engine over with the plugs out. This will give an indication as to whether the starter is acting properly and will also clear any fluid from the starter. I suspect that you have simply flooded the bike by using to much choke, after removing the plugs, try heating them up slightly, replace them and try to start it with less or no choke at all, good luck.
____________________
I ride 3 bikes, a Thundercat, an FZRexup 1000 Streetfighter and a Jawa 350 Combo, something for all seasons.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 257 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 0.88 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 36.53 Kb