Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


R6 advice.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Cillit-BANG
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:14 - 21 Jan 2006    Post subject: R6 advice. Reply with quote

Hi all.

I'm considering an R6 for my next bike after riding the ducati for a year from passing my test. (750sport - 64bhp :-/) I'm looking to swap when my finance runs out in April.

There is an immaculate 1999 model at the dealers with 11k miles for £3k which I'm considering.

Could anyone give any advice as to things I should note about the R6's. Any engine probs, worth-while upgrades etc? I remember reading a few articles that recommend changing the front tyre size?

Are they fuel injected from that year?

Cheers in advance.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!



Joined: 05 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:17 - 21 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are they fuel injected from that year?


No the R6, didn't get fuel injection till the 2003 models.

Quote:
Could anyone give any advice as to things I should note about the R6's. Any engine probs, worth-while upgrades etc?


The main thing to check for is to see if it stays in second gear under hard acceleration, if it jumps out of second gear, walk away.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Cillit-BANG
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:05 - 21 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were they prone to gear-box trouble then?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:53 - 22 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 6ft 3 and was looking at R6 but i thought they looked 2 small for me.
____________________
Current: 2019 Yamaha T7 -> 2015 KTM Superduke R | 2000 Yamaha R1 Past -> 2009 KTM 990 SM -> 2005 kawasaki ZX10r -> 2000 Honda CBR 600 FY -> 2002 Honda XLV 125 Varadero
Bike Pics! -> My Photography Website
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!



Joined: 05 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:58 - 22 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cillit-BANG wrote:
Were they prone to gear-box trouble then?


The older ones did (the 99 model), just jumped out of second gear under hard acceleration. From what I gather it costs a lot to get it fixed.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:11 - 22 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke's old R6 had that exact trouble with second gear.

We went to put a new engine in, but the new (from a racebike) engine had large bits of metal in the sump.

doh.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

woo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:45 - 22 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the 98-2001 models there was a recall done on the side stand (nut coming lose after a while, needs replacing) & the tube which provides lubrication in the gear box would move out of place (replace tube and fasten the new tube in the gear box)

Now to check if this work has been done, look at the frame numbers near the head stock of the bike.

If the recall work has been carried out there will be two small punch hole marks.
The first mark will be in front on the fame numbers and the second will be above the frame numbers.

Now if the bike has none of these small punch hole marks then the recall work has not been done, and if you are told overwise that the recall work has been done and there are no small punch hole marks, walk away from the bike and the seller.
If the seller can lie about that then ask yourself what else is the seller lying about (this includes dealers)

Hope this helps?
____________________
Elen sila lummen omentielvo!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

woo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:49 - 22 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

and also despite what anyone tells you the yamaha carbed R range are known for burnign a little bt of oil from time to time.

Otherwise the R6 is a great bike despite being very light at the front.

If youre not sure about the recall work phone yamaha uk, direct and give the frame number of the bike and they can check it on their system for you.
____________________
Elen sila lummen omentielvo!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Cillit-BANG
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:21 - 23 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one cheers Woo. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

fuzz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:33 - 23 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just off the top of my head, I remember reading that the 2001 model had a few upgrades done to it, but I can't think what exactly was done Doh! I think it was something to do with the gearbox.
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/fuzzbcf/
Bikes: '99 NSR125R, '00 SV650S, K1 GSX-R600, '97 CB500, K3 SV1000S, '16 VFR800
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

tintin
Traffic Copper



Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:48 - 23 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask these guys for advice:
https://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36
https://www.hyderantiques.co.uk/R6/Images/RH_side.jpg
https://www.hyderantiques.co.uk/R6/Images/My_r6_side.jpg
____________________
The older I get the better I was
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:40 - 23 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

dealers are for getting test rides
you buy from a fellow biker who has owned the bike

try a few bike b4 you decide on the r6

i tried out an r6 and it had the 2nd gear gearbox problem. Not to bad a problem in a straight line btu it upsets teh balance of the bike if you are going round a corner. Very unsettleing.
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Cillit-BANG
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:52 - 23 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
dealers are for getting test rides
you buy from a fellow biker who has owned the bike


Testing at dealers then buying from elsewhere!

Seriously dude, in my book thats a big no no, but I guess it depends on whether you have found a good dealer or not.

Personally I'd prefer to spend my money with a family run business who take pride in customer service. On a shitty winters morning when you get a problem, I prefer to take my bike to a place where I know it will be looked after, done at an honest price, and done whilst I wait drinking a cup of tea. All of which comes from building up a relationship and supporting your local bike dealer.

Maybe I'm just lucky and have found one where I am respected.

I suspect your also the type that spends hours trying on kit and then f8cks off and buys it at 15% less from a no-face internet company.

Not for me thanks.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to buy privately, but I'm not in the habit of taking the piss out of my dealer by testing bikes I'm not going to buy from them.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:42 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 6' 3" aswell, R6s are a little small but I don't look silly on them, nor feel silly. Pics on the link in my sig if you're interested.

Other than that, I went with a friend who bought one recently, we just checked all the usual new bike stuff.

Check for a drilled sump plug, could have been a race bike etc.

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:25 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cillit-BANG wrote:

I suspect your also the type that spends hours trying on kit and then f8cks off and buys it at 15% less from a no-face internet company.


not a bad idea, you could be onto something there Wink got any links ? Wink

however second hand gear is so much cheaper on ebay than new stuff, i doubt i could ever justify getting new stuff unless it was something a bit unusual.

I did buy a triumph textile jacket and armoured jeans from a triumph dealer but it was in a sale and there wasnt anything similar on ebay.

If you want to buy from your local place because they are your friends, they will be the most expensive friends you have especially if you take out finance with the shop rather than getting a bank loan.
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

R6 JACK
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 16 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:25 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

2000 onwards had 18Nm more torque and a twin piston rear break in place of a single.
2001 was a little lighter.
2002 onwards had led taillights, different ignition system and has had the side stand and gearbox problem fixed.

im 6,3 and it doesent look to small and i fit on fine all tho the screen is a bit low.


JAck
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Fastgut
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 07 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:38 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it but the cam-chain tensioner can be a bit of an issue. R6s are supposed to be a bit noisier in this department than other bikes but if its really noisy that could be a problem. Very Happy
____________________
Was a driving instructor now working in Insurance
Bikes:2005 Speed Triple and 2004 FZ6 Fazer (now the other half's)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

zx636
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 28 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:19 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: R6 Reply with quote

I've had 2 R6. a 2000 and a 2005. The gearbox especially 1st to second can be really notchy and i dont think they have solved it on the 2006 model either.
The older models, even my 2000 had a problem with jumping out of second. Despite rumours of hundreds of pounds to fix, and like many others it was a detent spring problem. Once replaced with the updated spring the problem dissapeared.. and really expensive, cost under a tenner and a bit of time to fit. There are threads on this on the r6messagenet forum.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Apr 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:24 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 2001 R6 and I'd say I have to agree with ZX636 about the gearbox problems. I remember hearing of the two quid spring being the fix. They are really clunky between 1st and 2nd too, I used to find myself cringing at the noise sometimes, however this shouldn't be mistaken for a major gearbox problem.

Personally I found the front end really nervous for the type of riding that I do, mainly twisty A and country B roads, I always felt that I had to back off. I could have fiddled with the suspension and fitted a steering damper but I just couldn't be asked, it's difficult to find a setup guide for a 10st midget too. Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

zx636
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 28 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:37 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: R6. Reply with quote

I agree. the 1999, 2000 and 2001 front end was really nervous. A change to 70 profile front and 6 - 8 mm change on the forks helps, quite an easy mod but even then a damper should be considered. It needs little or no excuse to shake its head.
Also check the suspension adjusters on the bottom of the forks because these seize, and BAD. I had to use a hammer drill with a drill bit in mine to losen them, others have had to have them replaced.

The clunky gearbox is something you have to live with, even though it sounds like something is going to break every time you change.

Other than that, they are great bikes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 264 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.69 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 108.22 Kb