Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Heat and Thermals

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

R4nger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:01 - 25 Jan 2006    Post subject: Heat and Thermals Reply with quote

I have been told by various sources that thermals are good in cold AND hot places. Of course the friends down the pub think I am mad wearing thermal gear in spain and say I will die.

Of course I am going to the Faro run in July and wanted to know whether it is true or not?

Also... What sort of thermal gear? Skin tight? loose thermals? Like a wetsuit?

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 23:13 - 25 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you wear bog-standard long johns and a wooly hat you probably will die.

There's a technical type of base layer (maybe known as coolmax?) that is supposed to keep you warm in winter, cool in summer. Think that's what you're after. Only problem I could see for touring in one is that you'd probably have to wash and dry it out every day.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 23:54 - 25 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

perforated leather is good for hot weather
it still protects you, but lets the breeze cool you down
I have an old one piece suitoff ebay with perforated leather that i use in summer.

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 00:06 - 26 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that does help, I've got a 2-piece ventilated leather suit. Often I have to wear a fleece over the top to keep the wind out on a cool summers evening/night.

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:28 - 26 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thermals in spain? Shocked

You will probably feel too hot in just your leathers whenever your speed drops below 50mph. In slow speed conditions you will feel hot under the collar wearing anything other than t-shirt and shorts. Even thin unlined plain-leather gloves were making my hands sweat whilst braving city-centre traffic in Spain.

I would be impressed if you manage to keep your leather trousers on when riding in 40 degree heat, let alone full body thermals. A leather jacket isn't too bad as you can leave it unzipped, but the trousers will leave you soaking in sweat.

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 01:40 - 26 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

We managed 36-38 degrees ok wearing leather jeans in mid-Italy, on open roads. Stopping anywhere not in the shade for more than 10 minutes wasn't very doable though.

Felt awesome riding in t-shirt and shorts around Rome. Not something I'd ever do in the UK, but there's no point crashing in leathers as a result of heat exhaustion.

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:30 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend wearing a good fitting, thin inner layer.

Not only does it stop your leathers stinking of sweatty you, but also stops sweat pouring around under them. Not pleasant.

Make sure the inner layer does fit snug, if it is baggy, the air between you and it will act as a good insulation making you hotter. If it fits snug, you will be comfy and cool.

If you feel more comfortable, you will be happier. Leave a zip or two open, keep the speed up, and drink plenty. Happy touring!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 77 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1