Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

BMF Press Release

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sadie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:00 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: BMF Press Release Reply with quote

Hi all,

Here is an statement from the BMF regarding a situation regarding two BMF Directors who have been suspended. MCN are running with this story on the internet now, and are probably going to do so in Wednesday's paper.

I would just like to say that neither Mike Williamson nor Don Lewis are paid employees of the BMF. They are both volunteers who have put in many hours working for the organisation and neither of them is walking away from the BMF, Mike and Don's personal memberships still stand and the findings of the disciplinary committee regarding Mike are subject to appeal. Don Lewis has been suspended pending disciplinary procedures following a complaint, which may or may not prove correct.

Please feel free to ask me any questions you like, and I will try to address them. However, please also be aware that I will be working the Ally Pally show tomorrow and so will come back to this thread tomorrow night.

Thanks, Liz

THE BMF AND ITS PROCEDURES - A BMF MANAGEMENT STATEMENT

Following recent conjecture and rumour, the British Motorcyclists Federation has issued the following statement.

The BMF can confirm that as part of its disciplinary procedures, two directors have been suspended from office, but first it is important to understand the nature of the organisation.

The BMF is an unincorporated membership association whose directors and chairman are all volunteers elected from, and accountable to, the BMF membership. The board of the BMF’s trading company, known as BMF (Enterprises Ltd), is made up of part of this management team.

The operation of the BMF itself is governed, like any large club, by a constitution, part of which includes a disciplinary procedure. Complaints of misconduct by two directors, BMF Chairman Mike Williamson and Administration Director and Deputy Chairman Don Lewis, have been received by the Disciplinary Committee and procedures duly instigated.

This has resulted in Don Lewis being suspended pending a formal hearing to be held in February and the Chairman, Mike Williamson, being excluded from holding any BMF posts for a period of three years. This followed a hearing, held by the BMF’s Disciplinary Committee on Saturday the 21st January 2006 at the BMF’s headquarters in Leicester. Loss of office automatically disqualifies them from their position on the board of BMF (Enterprises) Ltd.

In view of the fact that in the case of Mike Williamson an appeal is pending, and that the hearing for Don Lewis is yet to be held, no further details will be made public at this stage, however, all members of the 45 strong BMF Council have been informed.

No other directors or staff are subject to any disciplinary procedures.

BMF spokesman Jeff Stone said: “These matters are an internal constitutional affair. They do not affect the day-to-day operation of the BMF or its employees. Neither political lobbying work or the BMF’s events, including the May 20/21 BMF Show at Peterborough, are jeopardised by these developments.”

Further, the BMF wishes to state categorically that there has been no financial impropriety involved with these disciplinary charges. However, the BMF wishes to address speculation in some quarters surrounding a loss of money.

The facts are that during the period 1990 to 1999 the BMF was the victim of a systematic and extensive fraud carried out by an employee of the East of England Showground, owners of the annual venue for the BMF Show.

Their Company Secretary, Stephen Smith, systematically stole part of the gate takings from the BMF and from other major exhibitors who had hired the showground. He was discovered and suspended by the Showground management just seven days before the May 2000 BMF Show.

A full-scale police investigation then followed through to July 2001. BMF Show organiser Mike Fairhead and BMF finance staff checked files and a statement given by Mike Fairhead helped to eventually convict Smith.

Smith was arrested in September 2001. He appeared in court and pleaded guilty to 14 charges (3 of which concerned the BMF). He was duly convicted and sentenced to 2 years imprisonment in March 2002.

In all it was estimated at that stage that over the nine-year period; Smith had stolen an estimated £90,000 from the BMF. In October 2004 a claim was then made by the BMF to the Showground for £177,000 representing the original sum plus accrued interest.

The Showground resisted the claim but eventually offered a compromise deal in return for dropping the financial claim. The Management Team approved this deal in January 2005 and it was signed-off by Mike Williamson on behalf of the BMF.

Last year then saw a successful year for all BMF events making healthy profits and this despite bad weather reducing the projected income from the BMF Show.

This statement is only a summary. When the BMF’s internal processes have been completed, the results will be made known to members.

ENDS

Issued by Jeff Stone: t: 0121 709 1040 m: 07802 763094 e: jeff.stone@bmf.co.uk

IMPORTANT:

No other directors or staff are subject to disciplinary procedures.

No money is missing from BMF funds.

And to repeat:-

All operations of the BMF are continuing as normal.

cqueen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:02 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

wtf is BMF?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:04 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

cqueen wrote:
wtf is BMF?

British Motorcycle Federation.

All the best

Keith

R4nger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:06 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Told a bad/racist joke in the office again? Laughing

Come on Sadie, spill the beans Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

WR450_geezer
Nobody likes me

PostPosted: 00:15 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

cqueen wrote:
wtf is BMF?

Rolling Eyes

cqueen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:17 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well excuuuuuuuuse meeeeee! for not having herd of the british motorcycle federation

Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:20 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

cqueen wrote:
Well excuuuuuuuuse meeeeee! for not having herd of the british motorcycle federation

Next you'll be saying you don't know who MAG are... Razz

cqueen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:23 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

who?

Im sorry I dont go in for all this old man goggle wearing motorcycle federation stuff.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:28 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's MAG?
What's felatio?
Is there really a god?

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:29 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

cqueen wrote:
Im sorry I dont go in for all this old man goggle wearing motorcycle federation stuff.

Do you do any motorcycling? At all?

"It was good, i didnt find gear change a problem at all, however im not sure if the fun of biking outweighs the chances of dieing..."

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 00:31 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you even ride a bike cqueen?

as you never seem to mention it if you do.

Mini moto's etc DONT count.

cqueen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:36 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I dont actually ride a bike on the road. But what that has got to do with anything I dont know.

But even if I did, I wouldnt have any interest in joining any federations.

EDIT: oh and perhaps instigator, seeing as you went to the effort of searching my posts, you should look at how fooking old it is. Not far off a year ago I think... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Last edited by cqueen on 00:51 - 31 Jan 2006; edited 2 times in total

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 00:38 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

cqueen wrote:
No I dont actually ride a bike on the road. But what that has got to do with anything I dont know.

This is bike chat forums incase you didnt realise...it has a lot to do with this site does owning a bike/discussing them.

cqueen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:43 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
This is bike chat forums incase you didnt realise...it has a lot to do with this site does owning a bike/discussing them.

You do whatever you like mate, if I wanna post off topic stuff 99% of time, I will.

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:46 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what heinous crimes did these two scoundrels commit?

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:47 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

They haven't got bikes!!! Shocked

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 00:50 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is your coming onto this site and then saying that motorcycle federations are a bunch of old men hanging around classic bikes bugs the living shit out of me.

Just shows what you know about bikes and biking. We need organisations such as the BMF to raise awareness and "fight our cause".

If you want to talk TVR's and photoshop etc why not fuck off to those sorts of forums and not hang around a biking website and insult things that people work for and really believe in as a insult tp them.

Thumbs Down

Sadie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:51 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMF Statement wrote:
In view of the fact that in the case of Mike Williamson an appeal is pending, and that the hearing for Don Lewis is yet to be held, no further details will be made public at this stage

Which bit of this isn't clear, Rookie?

Cqueen - Both the BMF (British Motorcyclists Federation) and MAG (Motorcycle Action Group) exist to lobby politically for the rights of riders to stay on the road. This is done by both organisations locally, nationally and in Europe.

Neither is a club and neither one could be defined by the types of bikers or the types of bikes they ride.

Both of them are quite well aware of the ignorance that is out there in the biking, and which is being demonstrated so ably by you.

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:53 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought... you know... since we're a big family and all that....

...OK. Crying or Very sad

Laughing

Sadie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:56 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie wrote:
I just thought... you know... since we're a big family and all that....

...OK. Crying or Very sad

Laughing

Since we're a big family and all that ... BCF got it first. Ask Kickstart!

Laughing

cqueen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:03 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
Thing is your coming onto this site and then saying that motorcycle federations are a bunch of old men hanging around classic bikes bugs the living shit out of me.

Then you need to chill out.
dodsi wrote:
Just shows what you know about bikes and biking. We need organisations such as the BMF to raise awareness and "fight our cause".

Well they aint raising much fooking awareness coz I havnt herd of them & Ive got a stack of bike mags & papers next to my toilet for 'causual reading'.
dodsi wrote:
If you want to talk TVR's and photoshop etc why not fuck off to those sorts of forums

I do Cool
dodsi wrote:
and not hang around a biking website and insult things that people work for and really believe in as a insult tp them.

Oh please Razz

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:08 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

cqueen wrote:
Well they aint raising much fooking awareness coz I havnt herd of them & Ive got a stack of bike mags & papers next to my toilet for 'causual reading'.

Then I suggest you don't just look at the pictures... Razz

I just put BMF into the search here and got 330 thread hits. Entering MAG gets you another 734.

BMF also run the biggest bike show in Europe every year, reason enough alone to have heard of them.

Sadie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:33 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Dodsi and Silver!

It's nice to know that my work is not in vain! Rolling Eyes Laughing

cqueen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:46 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biking for me, is an interest, not a way of life - like it is for you.

And thats where we differ, so dont roll your eyes because I havnt therd of BMF or MAG.

What you really saying is 'your not a real biker'. Well shame on me.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 10:17 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Not so much "not a real biker", more that without the BMF and / or MAG your chances of being able to get a licence to ride a bike would be about as high as your chances of getting a licence for a machine gun.

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 81 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2