Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

pondering over car test

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

-Savage-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:07 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: pondering over car test Reply with quote

for anybody who has both their bike and car test, ive a querie.

was the car test harder or easier than the bike test?

i passed my bike test in december, and now as my mums going in for a back operation, and my da cant drive, i have to learn to drive the car.

i have a month until my mums op, do you suppose this would be long enough if i get 2 lessons a week?

i would presume that the bike lessons will be a benifit for me, i.e. looks, lane position and suchlike.

any views?

haGGard
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:09 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

A month is NOT long enough, especially if your only doing 2 lessons a week! Surprised

Might be able to pass in a month if you did some high intensive training. I took a few months to pass, but i was only doing 1 lesson a week...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TomC
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:28 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im takin my test on friday, 7 weeks after I started driving, Had one professional lesson, but ive been driving pretty much daily. Ill let you know how it goes' Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:41 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was up to standards after 10hours driving. That was with 5 years of bike experience. Just make sure the instructor knows that you know all the road sense part of driving and get him to concentrate on manoeuvres.

You'll be lucky if you can book a practical test with this little notice and that's if you've already got your car theory. If you haven't got your car theory already you've got no chance of doing it all within a month.

strag
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 2 lessons before my test, if you have an aptitude for driving you will be fine.

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:36 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second test (whether it be bike or car) is easier with experience on the other form of transport. Reason? Because you don't have to learn road sense (again) and can concentrate on controlling the vehicle.

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've passed one, you'll find the other easy, I reckon.

I've already passed my driving test, and my bike test only needs a few hours before I'm ready. So much applies to both vehicles.

I needed about 25 lessons, but in contrast I only need the equivalent of 3 and 1/2 lessons for the bike.

edit: Damn you Silver!

*shakes fist

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:41 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie wrote:
edit: Damn you Silver!

*shakes fist

Glad to help! Wink

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:00 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should get your car test first time gary lad if you put the effort in though I think a month would be cutting it a bit fine.

robboadd
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 00:52 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its possible to do it in a month I did it. I had 8 lessons and just booked everything so there was no waiting about, just get the theory out of the way. I'm sure you'll know from the bike test there is nothing worse than having to wait because you havn't done your theory yet.
Also if your having 2 lessons a week try to make them longer, extend them from an hour to an hour and a half maybe?

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 10:32 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

its easier, much easier

i did a few lessons like normal people do it, 1 a week, but quicky lost interest, then bit the bullet and booked a weeks crash course in wolverhampton and i passed first time on the friday in a strange town

roadsense you should have, just remember to go back to doing it by the book for a while, mirrors all the time etc

the controls are the hardest thing to sort out, then once youve got them grasped the manouvres need the most time, some days you just wont be able to do them at all, but thats normal

i made a total hash of the parallel park on the test, was miles away from the curb but i got away with it somehow Shocked
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

haGGard
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:52 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

And remember, these days, your only learning how to pass the test at the end; you only learn how to drive once you pass imo Thumbs Up

nrml76
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:14 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

haGGard wrote:
And remember, these days, your only learning how to pass the test at the end; you only learn how to drive once you pass imo Thumbs Up

Absolutely right! You just have to learn to jump through the hoops. Training to pass the test nowadays does precious little to enable you drive safely. You get lots of stupid teenagers let loose on the roads with a licence to kill, maim, destroy and increase everyone elses premiums. It's high time they started assesing safe driving as a whole rather than just how hard you stare at the mirrors. Excuse my rant please, and good luck with the test.

syl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:35 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: pondering over car test Reply with quote

SavageKymco wrote:
for anybody who has both their bike and car test, ive a querie.

was the car test harder or easier than the bike test?

i passed my bike test in december, and now as my mums going in for a back operation, and my da cant drive, i have to learn to drive the car.

i have a month until my mums op, do you suppose this would be long enough if i get 2 lessons a week?

i would presume that the bike lessons will be a benifit for me, i.e. looks, lane position and suchlike.

any views?

I did the bike test with 1 days CBT, 2 days on a bike then the test. Failed 1st time, passed next time a couple of weeks and no extra training later other than an hour before the test.

I did the car test with 4 "proper" lessons, and some driving in the dark or at weekends with my dad. Failed 1st time, passed next time a couple of weeks and no extra training later other than an hour before the test (in a new car that I was driving for the first time).

Notice a pattern emerging?

Looking at both, the car test felt harder, but that's probably just because I was a lot younger then. In reality I guess the standard was the same - although when I did the bike test recently, I saw loads of learner car drivers coming into the test centre and doing their reverseing / parking and they looked absolutely shocking compared to regular car drivers, so perhaps the car test is the easier (the motorcyclists coming for their tests looking almost like regular bikers).

Oh - and on both the fails, I'm certain my driving/riding was no better/different to the second, sucessful, test - so there is an element of luck involved and there's little you can do about that.

8 lessons should be enough, but get some time out on the road as well with your mother in the passenger seat, if you can get on the insurance with L plates. Go on the internet and find out the test routes for the local test centre. Then drive all around them so that there are no surprises. And book the test (don't forget the theory test) soon as the waiting list can be more than 4 weeks in some areas.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 89 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1