Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Car Help - Quick Advice Please

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 09:35 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Car Help - Quick Advice Please Reply with quote

Got to work and tried to switch the ignition off and the keys jammed in the barrell, wont turn or anything. Also the steering wheel is really heavy like theres no power steering.

The engine was still running so i stalled it. I have to fuck around with tesco to get them to come out (have to ring the insurance company first or whatever bullshit because my numberplates changed.

Anyway the keys still in the car and all the electrics are still on. Anyone know why its done that? Can i disconnect the battery so it won't run out??

Cheers. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Black Knight
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:44 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're saying the key is stuck in the ignition barrel?

Could the sterring lock have locked on?? Sometimes my key wilol stick until you tweak the steering wheel into the right place.

If the battery is in good condition it shouldn't run out for a fair while as long as you have lights/radio etc all turned off.
Where does a turn end? 'Where you can do anything with the gas you want to, where you are brave again, where your attention is free from the turn, where you are sure you can do it better next time; that's the end' - Keith Code.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 09:49 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh i just parked went to turn the engine off and it was jammed, everything was still on and it was just stuck in the on position. The steering wheel feels like it has no power steering. Confused

Phoned tesco and the breakdown company are going to be here in an hour. Confused

Minky_monkey
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:49 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, first thing to do is disconnect the battery. Depending on the car, it can burn the coil out if the ignition is left on for ages. If the radio is coded, make sure you`ve got the code for it.

What car is it?

cqueen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:50 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

disconnect the battery, get some wd40 & spray it in amognst all that shit, wiggle it lightly for a few mins.

Black Knight
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:51 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minky_monkey wrote:
Depending on the car, it can burn the coil out if the ignition is left on for ages.

Eh Confused

So what happens when you're driving then? Confused
Where does a turn end? 'Where you can do anything with the gas you want to, where you are brave again, where your attention is free from the turn, where you are sure you can do it better next time; that's the end' - Keith Code.

Minky_monkey
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:54 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had it on a couple of old fords, couldn`t tell you why TBH, but it burnt the coil out after having the ignition on for a couple of days. That`s why I asked what car it was.

Obviously this is a far shorter length of time, but if the ignitions still on, I always disconnect it.

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 09:58 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

They said they will be here in an hour but i'm not holding my breath. It was fine when i was driving, it is hard to explain the key is just jammed all the electrics are on inlcuding the engin (which i stalled) and the steering is heavy, maybe its stuck half way off if you see what i mean.

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 10:02 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you turn it on again?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 10:05 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

No its completley stuck fast wont budge.

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 10:06 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the worst thing that can happen is i need to be towed home and miss the day off work. Damn Twisted Evil

cqueen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:12 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh i guess its abit more serious than a jammed key

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 10:21 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it might be a fuse at first but not sure how that would jam it. Apparently there is a release swith under the steering colomn but im gonna wait for the breakdown guys.

I always break stuff at the same time. Broke my new printer that i got for christmas this morning too. Only used it like 3 times. Rolling Eyes

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 10:34 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the barrel has collapsed. He said it would be expensive but i have found one on ebay that has no bids starting price £1. Brand new with 2 keys. Cool

cqueen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:37 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 11:17 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got in, what an interesting drive. The wheel was fucked, i couldn't get full lock either side, i literally had to use my weight to turn the wheel. Laughing

Just got the key out of the barrel so should be able to change it myself. Smile

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 16:35 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Knight wrote:

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 16:38 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats Saxo's for ya Wink

Black Knight
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:27 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZRX61 wrote:
Black Knight wrote:

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Whats the Rolling Eyes for??

He said the ignition coil would burn out if left switched on. Seems a perfectly reasonable question to me?
anders This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

kb-zxr
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:21 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol I locked my steering wheel once, I panicked like mad only had the car a week.

Turn the keys as you tug on the steering wheel (as in turning it). Should "unlock" it then. Might not ne it, but it happened to me.

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 20:40 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he had power steering it sounds like the pump is gone Shocked

But if he hasn't got power steering he is a pussy who cant drive Wink

Nb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your barrel is fecked as you know. My saxo lost power steering (its electric,your pump is fine) heated rear screen and blower motor all because of a switch inside the barrel. My barrel isnt stuck so i looked on saxosport site and found a way to get all the electrics working by joining two wires under the steering column. Wink Laughing Its been bodged for months and works fine. Laughing

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 20:56 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh Nb i saw that. does it work? May give it a try. Smile Thumbs Up

It is a switch in the fuel pump Confused

Crazy Manx Man
The Fly Swatter

PostPosted: 23:07 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Not the first time to hear this from a Saxo owner! Laughing

Take it you got one set of keys for the doors and another for the ignition? Typical. Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 87 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2