61%
 61%  [ 26 ]
0wn a laptop
38%
 38%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 42

octane
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 04:40 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Laptop or Desktop? Reply with quote

Which do you have? (poll), which would/do you prefer?

If you have both, go on what you use the most for the poll.

Idle curiosity.

Ta.

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 06:29 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got what was a pretty powerful PC for gaming and internet. I've slowly stopped playing games due to pressure of work and getting into bikes, so I haven't upgraded for a while.

My MDA Pro phone is essentially a mini-laptop. It has a full qwerty keyboard, Word, Excel, a divx player and wireless networking, as well as a massive screen.

I use it as a phone, a video Ipod and a laptop when I feel a sudden urge to tap out a few emails while I'm zombifying in front of whatever Fred Dibnah show is on the goggle box.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

daz|n00by
The Internet

PostPosted: 08:58 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 5 pc's in my house and my son has a lappy.

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 10:15 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have 4 pc's and 2 laptops. I use the desktop in my room if i am ever in there. Use my laptop wherever, bath, garage, lounge, garden etc.

I prefer the laptop because its more mobile, with wireless networking you can go a fair distance from my house and still get a signal the only thing i don't like is the mouse. Accupoint Mad The laptops so thin that if you pick it up from underneath the mouse moves. Thumbs Down
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 10:16 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the option for "both" ?

Razz

1 WinXP desktop, 1 Linux server, 1 WinXP laptop, 2 linux laptops (this doesn't include my girlfriend's WinXP laptop) Smile

Last edited by Suzuki on 10:17 - 02 Feb 2006; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sadie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:17 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have two PCs and two laptops. All are equally used.

MarkyPancake
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:20 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a desktop, but I would like to get a laptop (as well) eventually.

Groove
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:41 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 decent PC's and a Laptop.

I see a problem in your poll Thinking Razz
|| Past: 1991 Kawasaki ZXR 250 ~ 2003 Honda CBR 600 F Sport ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1999 Yamaha R1 ~ 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R J ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1998 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm ~ K1 GSXR 600 Track bike ~ K6 GSXR 1000 ~ 2006 Speed Triple 1050 || Current: 2005 R1 https://www.adrucore.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:18 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a laptop, have had for 4 years, its insured so sods law it hasnt broken,

however it is somewhat now out of date andI could do with updating bits of it, but I cant as it invalidates insurance.

I'd advse getting a desktop as they are soo cheap now, that way you can upgrade and interchange bits of it to your requirments,

If you decide to get a laptop, they are good, (right now im sat comfy, reclned on the leather sofa opposite the log fire, not at the computer desk freezing my ass off in the spare room)
GET INSURANCE with it... my brother had 4 laptops which kept going wrong, Hard drives going crazy and modems and batteries and adapter sockets not working, he eventually got a Desktop with the insurance money.

so...get insurance with a laptop or get a desktop.

simple

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 11:45 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 1 laptop, 2 desktops.

laptop is used daily, for email and webshit

one desktop is installed as a mediacenter with 27" lcd screen, and 5.1 surround sound and provides my telly,dvd,music,online content and is used daily (somtimes at the same time as the laptop)

other desktop is being rebuilt as a file and email server, and maybe DNS too.

once that's up it'll be used daily and regularly by both other machines, but rarely on it's own.

a

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 windows 2003 servers, my xp box, my laptop. i also use my phone (Nokia 9500) and my ipaq if i cant be arsed getting the laptop out of the car.

Also about 5 or 6 in the garage in various states of disrepair Very Happy

RobB
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:00 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have both, but the laptop doesn't work anymore, so I voted desktop.

Laptop was essentially free, as I guy I used to do support work for was throwing it away with a cheery "It's broke". About 5 years old, it needed a new CMOS battery to fix it. Stopped working a year or so ago, seems like major motherboard calamity.

Have 1 main PC, that I'd guess is in the same state as Mister James' one. Used to game a lot, and it's a top-spec PC from about two and a half years ago, so a little out of it's depth these days. When I'm spending less money on other things, or a game I want to play needs it, I'll buy new kit.

Have a few other old PC's that act as my minions, trawling the web for free stuff. As a general point, anyone wanting to do a lot of downloading (limewire, torrent etc.) should consider a cheap second PC to do it on, rather than messing up their main system. My downloads run very sweetly on an old P3-750 machine, that does nothing else.

Laptops are good for lazy web surfing, and front-room wireless comfort, but I haven't missed mine since it broke. I'm more of a fan of desktop PCs as they're easier to work on, upgrade, and you get better value for money.

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:01 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsxrmick wrote:
cant be arsed getting the laptop out of the car.

Isn't that just begging for your car to be broken into?

we had our car broken into just to steal me school bag which vaguely resembled a laptop bag (but then again we do live in coventry).. was fairly amusing at school telling the teacher my homework had been stolen by theives Shocked and they broke into our car to get it

Barry_M2
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:10 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a laptop for work, have two PC's at home, 1 for internet and stuff, the other runs Media Center so run the TV through it, stores my music, DVD's, records TV etc...

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:13 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one PC at home and 2 laptops. I don't really use the laptops and occasionally use the PC for the web. I'm surrounded by PC's, servers and laptops at work all day, I actually have 6 laptops on my desk at the moment.

If you're talking about home use then a PC is more upgradeable and is obviously more useful for gaming.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:36 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Floating around in a working state I think we have 4 desktop machines and 3 laptops. However one of the laptops is an old 486 and another is a Pentium 133, so neither are used, but the other is quite useful for browsing while watching TV and for downloading pictures from the camera when out and about. Of the desktop machines there is 1 each that Charlotte and I use a fair amount, one that sits in the corner as an MP3 player and to maybe look at IRC while playing a game on another computer. And one is an ancient Pentium 166 that we loaded Linux on to play with and just sits there waiting for us to get round to playing with it.

Probably going to upgrade my machine soon as my machine has never been that stable. For real use I far prefer a desktop machine as at least you can easily replace bits when they go wrong (eg, power supply went pop on Sunday, quick and expensive trip to PC World and it was back up and running in a couple of hours).

Suspect most people have quite a few old machines stacked up in corners.

All the best

Keith

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 13:43 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 main PC used for mp3's, video editing and generally on all the time.
3 Laptops, one runs as a server and the other two used as and when for smurfing the net etc.

tokarev
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:48 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both a Laptop (Dell with Intel Centrino) and a Desktop (5 years old AMD Athlon).

The laptop is used for university work and is fantastic as I can just take it in and just connect to the wireless connection at university instead of trying to find myself one of the computers in the crowded labs. Also don't have to bother transfering my work from the home comp to my university account all the time (sometimes forgetting important files!).

When I feel like browsing the net for a long time I use the desktop, or if I want to watch my next dose of Lost (the speakers on the desktop are fantastic...loud with good bass).

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:10 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laptop, Acer Aspire 5002 with Turion processor. Lovely thing, but I'm worried how long it will last (had it 4 months or so) as it gets anywhere from 5 to 14 hours of use a day; I use it for everything, including any tv programmes I want to watch. So I might invest in a bog standard desktop soon. Not into the whole gaming thing, really.

Laptop hasn't been turned off for probably 2 weeks, as I leave it to download during the night. Probably not doing wonders for it. Rolling Eyes

zaknafien

PostPosted: 18:19 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

7 desktops and 2 laptops.

Pc's rule. Thumbs Up

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 19:34 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie wrote:
Laptop hasn't been turned off for probably 2 weeks, as I leave it to download during the night. Probably not doing wonders for it. Rolling Eyes

Don't know about yours but Toshiba, Dell & IBM laptops go on and on and on. Smile

WR450_geezer
Nobody likes me

PostPosted: 19:41 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

daz|n00by wrote:
my son has a lappy.

Is she fit and how much did she cost you?

WR Razz

daz|n00by
The Internet

PostPosted: 20:53 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

WR450_geezer wrote:
daz|n00by wrote:
my son has a lappy.

Is she fit and how much did she cost you?

WR Razz

Hes 21 so he pays for her himself . Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 59 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1