26%  [ 15 ]
Im stil at my parents place
42%
 42%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 56

greatmoorred
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:43 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: who rents ? Reply with quote

just been to look at another rented place, as this flat is doing my head in. I know continuing to rent is a waste of money, but thats the deal for now.
so the question is.
Who rents.

Bullet
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:46 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i rent, and its a bargain price and an awesome location £50 a week, divided between 3 of us! thats less than a pub lunch with a beer Very Happy although it is freezing this time of year Crying or Very sad but afterall railway carridges arent well insulated!

niff5855
Sausage Boy

PostPosted: 20:58 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rent because I absolutely fucking REFUSE to pay the extotionate pricing being asked at the mo to buy.

I like being in digs, cheap as chips (if you can find the right landlady Mr. Green )

Nb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rent a 3 bed house with a garage for 400 pounds a month off a friend of my mothers whos gone travelling round the world for 15 months. Its cool not being tied down as such. Missus loves having a house because last place we had was a 1 bed flat on a crappy estate. Evil or Very Mad Rumour has it that we may be allowed to rent this house indefinitely....... Drooling Praying Dance!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rented for a while back in the 90s for a couple of years, when bird and I moved in together, then we bought a semi.

Pitty I feel for people who didn't living up in mid Yorkshire, in the mid 90s, 3 bedroom semis with large gardens/garage etc, were going for around £50K.

I'm still annoyed myself, because I would have liked a larger detached house, which I can't afford and I would have if it wasn't for the house price boom. Saying that I might move back to Ireland and build as i've got land over there.

karen_moomin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:39 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rented a room for a year with a friend, then decided to buy my own house.

Having my own house is amazing. I only have another £45,000 or so to pay off. Shocked I bought at the right time and in the right area. I paid £59,950 for a gorgeous 2 bed terrace. I pay £300 a month on my mortgage. Thumbs Up

Much cheaper than renting and I can do whatever I like to the house!

Last edited by karen_moomin on 11:04 - 03 Feb 2006; edited 1 time in total

DucatiEVO
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:09 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd never rent, all your doing is paying someone else to make a profit. Thumbs Down

Brought my place a few years back. Thumbs Up

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 10:24 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just bought my house.. completed on the 16th december... until then I'd been renting for almost a year sinc moving down here, but renting was always only ever going to be a temp solution till I found somewhere to buy.

I liked the fact that when renting, everything gets fixed for you Smile

a

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 11:01 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My girlfriend and I are in the process of buying our first house together. Should hopefully have the keys in 4 weeks or so (providing everything goes smoothly) Confused

Renting is such a waste of money.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

jamieclayton9
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:01 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i rent. i have got a two bedroom flat with no garden and a bit of parkin and i pay 460pcm. its a joke. i only just about get buy

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 13:58 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

DucatiEVO wrote:
I'd never rent, all your doing is paying someone else to make a profit. Thumbs Down

depends on circumstances...

I always said I'd never rent, but I was interviewd for this job in december '04, and started in January '05.. how could I have bought a house in that time?

I put the offer in on my house in august and moved in in December. until then I was renting

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 14:02 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki wrote:
o (providing everything goes smoothly) Confused

And we either find the missing husband (preferably not under the patio) or the courts get moving and sign the paperwork pronto.

Renting is paying off someone else's mortgage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

DucatiEVO
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 14:08 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd never rent, all your doing is paying someone else to make a profit.

Quote:
depends on circumstances...

I always said I'd never rent, but I was interviewd for this job in december '04, and started in January '05.. how could I have bought a house in that time?

I think it's a case of those who are employed and choose to rent rather than buy. I know people who perfer to rent; I was just expressing my opinion that I would never. Thumbs Up

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 14:18 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funnily enough, I have just had a bloke round from the letting agency, to see if i could rent my house out for 6 months or more to go travelling.

It will need work doing to get it up to standard, but i might do it. He said Id need to spend £5000 and could expect £350-£450 a week depending on the standard. He reckons I might have problem tenants in this area though.

Apparently the interest on the mortgage is tax teductable too.

I have thought about getting a few students in as unofficial tax free tenants with me still here. There are oriental foreign students at the local college who would be well behaved.

MattyB
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:24 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

w00, go parent sponges!

freckles
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:42 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be an option for us students, "Living with parents for holidays...Renting during term time"
I hate renting, it's costing me £74.50 a week for a small bedroom and shared kitchen with 4 other people. The owners must be making a fortune off us.
Me and my boyfriend are looking at buying a house at the moment, so hopefully I'll be out of my rented flat and into our own house soon!

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 15:26 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

freckles wrote:
£74.50 a week

That's cheap as chips!!!

You'll look back on that with fond memories in the future. Don't whinge about it. Razz

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 15:38 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landlords have to set rent above their mortgage costs to cover times when the property is empty. Usually 120% of mortgage cost i think.

A bank wouldnt a landlord a buy to let mortage if your monthly rental income wasnt at least 120% of your mortage payment, for that reason.

msgander
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:00 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rent...thank god!

With neighbours like mine you'd be gutted if you were stuckin the place until you sold up....!!!

moving in April with luck, before I commit a crime.... Shocked

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:08 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki wrote:

Renting is such a waste of money.

You could argue the same of eating, paying for petrol or anything else where you've nothing physical to show for it at the end of the day. Its simply paying money in exchange for goods/services and I don't consider that to be a waste.

(Bendy, posting on G's computer).

queen of string
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:12 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own mine and its cool. I also have a house I rent out, I dont make a fortune but it all helps Smile

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 16:14 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing physical to show for petrol/eating? Thinking

Not sure I agree with that.

The point about rent though, is that there is an alternative option, where the money you spend doesn't go straight into somebody elses pocket giving no return to you.

With a mortgage, granted you're still shelling out the dosh, but when you sell the house you get the money back! (usually with a fair bit of interest) Wink

I've been living in birmingham for nearly 4 years, and have spent approx. £12,000 on rent in that time. I have NOTHING to show for it.

Had I spent £12,000 towards a mortgage, granted some of it would have been interest, but at least £8,000 of it would now be equity. Considering the rise experienced in the house market, I would probably be about £60,000 better off.

Unless it is your only option, renting is for suckers.

Lucy
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:25 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still at Parents, left school after one year of 6th form so no college or Uni. May sell my bike to fund renting somewhere if the only job i can get is low paid.

greatmoorred
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:46 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, went to look at the house today.
Its nice enough, decent area,really quiet. But.
Why hasnt the lanlord been round to give it a lick of paint, or to polish the laminate floor, or make sure all the cupboards open without catching ?
It really pisses me off when they cant even be bothered to do shit like that. Its a pretty nice house, but let down by the finish. And i know its been empty for at least 6 weeks.
im going to put in a lower offer and see what he says.

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 17:43 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki wrote:
I have NOTHING to show for it.

Like you have nothing to show for all the money you spent on eating, drinking, travelling...

Buying property simply isn't an option for a large percentage of young people in the south east of England (due to the ridiculous property prices). So unless you want to remain living with your parents until you're 30 while you save up a deposit and find a partner you're willing to buy a place with (only way you'll get a big enough mortgage with a chance of paying it off before you're 75), renting's the only way to be.

The traditional view that you need to be a homeowner is rather at odds with the modern way of life where a job is no longer for life and the divorce rate is through the roof, in my opinion.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 87 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2