Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Smoking in a Petrol Station

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

What should I do?
Ring the manager and grass on the dirty faggots!
65%
 65%  [ 44 ]
Leave them to it. Darwin will sort them before long.
34%
 34%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 67

Author Message

Suzuki
Roger



Joined: 03 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:23 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Smoking in a Petrol Station Reply with quote

This morning I had to stop for petrol on the way to work, so I pulled into Bickenhill Service Station on the A45 near the NEC. It's an ESSO garage.

Anyway, turn the engine off and hear my phone ringing. Was somebody from work, but I thought "Nope, better not answer it in a petrol station" and ignored it.
Finished filling up and walked into the shop to pay for my fuel, and was confronted with two members of staff behind the tills smoking!!

As far as I see it this is wrong on two levels. Firstly, there's the "smoking in the workplace" thing, and the fact that they're doing it in an enclosed shop. Not only do the other workers have to breathe it in, but the general public too.
Secondly, they work in a flipping petrol station!!! (yes, i know they're never going to explode the place by smoking in the shop, but that's hardly the point is it. Not quite the right message to be giving out to people)

So... what do I do? Should I complain to the manager/esso? Or would it be better off left alone? What do you think?
____________________
<Simple> no I'm shaven Jon Razz
<Simple> it is a big enough hole.. I'll leave it now
Ride: 1999 Suzuki GSXR600 (yellow/black) IRC: Stats - Relationship Map
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:29 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Re: Smoking in a Petrol Station Reply with quote

But were they wearing shell suits (which added to the smoking could get very interesting anyway Smile )?

(Brainiac 'proved' that shell suits were more dangerous that mobile phones when there's lots of petrol vapour in the air)


Last edited by G on 10:32 - 24 Jan 2006; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Suzuki
Roger



Joined: 03 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:30 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

No "Shell" suits sadly. (Esso uniforms Laughing) I'm curious about why they're more dangerous though... Smile
____________________
<Simple> no I'm shaven Jon Razz
<Simple> it is a big enough hole.. I'll leave it now
Ride: 1999 Suzuki GSXR600 (yellow/black) IRC: Stats - Relationship Map
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:35 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

More likely to cause a spark from static electricity.

Now for their 'experiment', they did have someone standing in a washing up bowl dancing while wearing a shell suit to create a spark.

But then they did also have five phones set in the petrol vapour which they rung simultaneously.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Suzuki
Roger



Joined: 03 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:37 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocking! (ho ho)

Right, anyway, back on topic - do I shop them to their boss?
____________________
<Simple> no I'm shaven Jon Razz
<Simple> it is a big enough hole.. I'll leave it now
Ride: 1999 Suzuki GSXR600 (yellow/black) IRC: Stats - Relationship Map
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:40 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki wrote:
Shocking! (ho ho)


GROAN!!
Worse than one of mine Shocked

Suzuki wrote:

Right, anyway, back on topic - do I shop them to their boss?


Without a doubt! Thumbs Up
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Suzuki
Roger



Joined: 03 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:41 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:

Worse than one of mine


You liked the "Shell" suit joke though. I can tell. Razz
____________________
<Simple> no I'm shaven Jon Razz
<Simple> it is a big enough hole.. I'll leave it now
Ride: 1999 Suzuki GSXR600 (yellow/black) IRC: Stats - Relationship Map
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Suzuki
Roger



Joined: 03 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:42 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siggi wrote:
Imagine if you were stuck behind that till, doing zzz on minimum wage. Exclamation


Yeah... I still wouldn't be smoking. Razz
____________________
<Simple> no I'm shaven Jon Razz
<Simple> it is a big enough hole.. I'll leave it now
Ride: 1999 Suzuki GSXR600 (yellow/black) IRC: Stats - Relationship Map
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Apr 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:43 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shop the dirty c*nts. I used to get similar in an Esso in Erdington, both workers would sit there smoking all day. You would open the door and be engulfed by bellowing fag smoke.

If they want to smoke that's up to them, but they provide a service and should be professional, not everyone wants to inhale their second hand smoke as well as their dirty CO2.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:32 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki wrote:
Right, anyway, back on topic - do I shop them to their boss?


Leave them to it. None of us are perfect and we mostly get pretty hacked off with people having a go at us.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:38 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki wrote:
Finished filling up and walked into the shop to pay for my fuel, and was confronted with two members of staff behind the tills smoking!!


That’s bloody weird if you ask me…..

Once I was filling up my DTR at the ESSO, and this guy I knew came up to me, I knew him he’s alright, he's an ex con and a bit simple with it.

“You got a fag mate?”
“Yeah mate, here ya go” (Thought id save hassle, he might kick off or something)

Looked back to the filler cap to see how I’m doing, and hear a clicking sound, or was it striking?

Fu**ing trying to light his fag!!
I’m stood there filling up, so I hit it out of his hand.
“The fuc* you doing you plank?”

“Oh yeeaaaah, sorry maaan”

Rolling Eyes Thumbs Up
____________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tartantaz
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:49 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think you know what you want to do and really dont need us to help you. At the end of the day Ive read all the replies and they seem to be a mix no answers to determine one way or another. So your question is not really being answered.

Clearly it bothers you or you would not have taken the time to write a post. The fact that the complaint is regarding smoking will provoke those who are for and against smoking to cloud their judgement. For me the issue is not should they be smoking or not, the issue is should they be smoking in a place of work regardless of the populations thoughts on smoking itself? I say they would be quick enough to tell you to not use your mobile in the petrol station, or tell you to take of your helmet to pay, so what do you think you should do?

I hope I have been of some help.

Regards

Taz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kb-zxr
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 01 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:59 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have offered them a pack of 20 in return for a free tank of juice.

Think on next time...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Skunkcap Freddie
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:51 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i use my mobile at the petrol station i usually stand off the forecourt. Just incase i catch fire. no one over here has ever said anything to me about using my phone close to the petrol station. then again the employees are usually very young and don't care
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

GearboxGeezer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:07 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skunkcap Freddie wrote:
when i use my mobile at the petrol station i usually stand off the forecourt. Just incase i catch fire. no one over here has ever said anything to me about using my phone close to the petrol station. then again the employees are usually very young and don't care


I heard that if u get ur mobile phone out and put it ontop of the fuel gauge thing ( where it tells u how much money u gota pay ) then it mucks up the reading and u get cheap fuel!!

But never tried it and never will as its probably just a joke..
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Adam_P
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:10 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see what the problem is. I'd certainly not take offence at them smoking away from the forecourt. If they'd had a fag on while cleanign the pumps or dipping the main tank, then I'd probably be a bit concerned, but for having a fag indoors, at this time of year?

I can understand the fact that it'll smell and its not very welcoming, but getting on the phone to the manager about it, well, I reckon you've got a bit too much time on your hands Jon... Wink

Spend the time riding the bike instead of ringing people up for no reason. Thumbs Up Wink
____________________
Colin McRae MBE 1968 - 2007 RIP Sad
Orwell Rolls in his Grave
God is imaginary
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

fuzz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:51 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grass em up! It's because the British don't complain that we get such lousy service. And then we piss and moan about it later and annoy everyone else.
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/fuzzbcf/
Bikes: '99 NSR125R, '00 SV650S, K1 GSX-R600, '97 CB500, K3 SV1000S, '16 VFR800
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Suzuki
Roger



Joined: 03 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:55 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam_P wrote:
Can't see what the problem is.


Well to be honest, I really didn't like the fact that after standing in the shop for 5 minutes, I walked out (and arrived at work) stinking of smoke. Thumbs Down
____________________
<Simple> no I'm shaven Jon Razz
<Simple> it is a big enough hole.. I'll leave it now
Ride: 1999 Suzuki GSXR600 (yellow/black) IRC: Stats - Relationship Map
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:57 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't petrol stations usually sell food like fresh pastries and biscuits and stuff? I wouln't want my morning pain au chocolat stinking of galouises! Smile
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mim
Nova Slayer



Joined: 12 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:31 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm one of those people who never gets away with anything, so my theory is no-one else should either, grass 'em up!
____________________
In space no-one can hear you smeg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

m99dws
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:39 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd complain. The indian run garage on the A66 near Darlington is usually filled with smoke.
Wouldn't go there anyway as it's 7p/litre more than the others less than 3 miles away.

Esso in Billingham is built on the same site (about 20 metres apart) as a live flame gas fire showroom Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

McGee
O RLY?



Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:54 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Leave them to it. Darwin will sort them before long.


Made me laugh Laughing
____________________
◙◙► K6 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 1000 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► 96 RF600r ◄◙◙
◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►
Its pronounced Jixxer!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:16 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that you would stink of smoke after popping into their shop bit to pay for your petrol.

I think it looks a bit slack smoking on the job so I would be a bit affronted. In the same way as if I were to get served by someone who is speaking to their mate on the phone while serving. A bit offputting but not that bad really. As you said, they arent really causing a fire risk even if technically for safety reasons they are.

I would have no problem answering my phone at a petrol station but if some superstitious person asked me to turn it off i probably would.

Obviously Killa's mate is the real danger.

If you wanted to do something about the smokers in the petrol station shop, you could talk to them about it saying you would report them next time.

It would be fun if you pulled up next time and they hurriedly put out their ciggies before you came in.
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kirmit
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:18 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry but I don't see the issue. Ok I smoke, but that isn't a factor in my response.

1. You, me and every other customer will be in there for 2-3 minutes at most.

2. Their behind the tills, so not exactly next to you.

3. Most garages have hot food for sell, all those heaters are I'm sure more likely to cause a fire hazard.

4. I've only ever seen NO SMOKING signs in forecourts, not the shops themselves.
____________________
When riding fast, think fast. When riding slow.. speed up.
Grey Honda Cityfly 125 || Red Suzuki Bandit 600 & Blue Suzuki SV650SK5|| Red Honda VTR 1000-F2
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

McGee
O RLY?



Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:22 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the end of the day I dont care if people smoke there the same person with a habbit thats all.

This worlds taking the piss just leave people alone.
____________________
◙◙► K6 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 1000 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► 96 RF600r ◄◙◙
◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►
Its pronounced Jixxer!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 262 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 0.91 - MySQL Queries: 16 - Page Size: 139.36 Kb