Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Question for any programmers (Warning: Very dull)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:29 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Question for any programmers (Warning: Very dull) Reply with quote

I don't suppose any BCFers know their way around regular expressions do they? Confused

Atm I'm having an absolute nightmare trying to make one which will find the following code inside some HTML:

Code:

[div class="mosimage_caption" style="width: ; text-align: center;" align="center"]Tamada on the RC211V[/div]

The problem is, the caption (text in between the divs) and the div parameters will vary (with the exception of "<div class="mosimage_caption"") so it's tricky as hell to get to work.

My best attempt so far is:

Code:
(\[div class="mosimage_caption").*(\[/div\])

But that always matches everything right up to the last instance of [/div] because of the .* code which is matching everything and then backtracking... I need it to match just up to the first instance of [/div].

Fecking hate these things. Evil or Very Mad If anyone can help I will owe them big time... I've wasted so long on this it's crazy.

KevlarPants
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:32 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should look into 'non greedy' matching, for the regex engine you are using.

Not a lot of help, but hopfully a pointer in the right direction...

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:39 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd looked into that a bit but not had a clue what to do. Bit of investigating into PHP and it seems all I needed was an extra question mark. Very Happy Cheers dude, that was the push in the right direction that I needed. Thumbs Up

Code:
(\[div class="mosimage_caption").*?(\[/div\])

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 14:45 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy. In your .* for matching the bit inbetween the divs, rather than saying "anything" you need to say "anything except a /div tag".

So, replace the .* with something like [^\[\/div\]]*

Very Happy

EDIT/ your way is neater. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 103 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1