Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Helmet claustrophobia

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Burncycle
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 01:38 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Helmet claustrophobia Reply with quote

I know this might sound silly, but did anyone find a full helmet a little bit claustrophobic when they first started using one? Embarassed

jok
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:46 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes feel a bit odd when I can hear my own breathing so loudly just after I put the helmet on; just leaving the visor open for minute or so makes it go away for me, though, and by then I'm usually used to it. Your milage may vary, of course.

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:21 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: Helmet claustrophobia Reply with quote

Burncycle wrote:
I know this might sound silly, but did anyone find a full helmet a little bit claustrophobic when they first started using one? Embarassed

Marginally so perhaps, but you do get used to it and eventually the helmet might as well not be there for the disturbance it causes if it fits properly and isn't too noisy (earplugs if necessary). Looking downwards and too close to the front of your bike might make the chinbar loom more I suppose, try looking further ahead.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fadel
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:45 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I felt abit funny with my helmet on for about 2-3 weeks but now the only thing I dislike about my helmet is it doesn't fit in my storage Sad

You will get used to it within time but if it effects you that much then have you considered a helmet where the front lifts up? That way if you feel abit enclosed just pop up the whole front face.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:42 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't felt claustrophobic in helmet, then again, the Caberg V2 is the size of a fridge Embarassed

I realised that I had to move my head to see stuff, couldn't just move eyes, cos of visor.

Thing I find hardest is silly stuff like scratching nose etc (especially with winter gloves on Sad

Fadel
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:46 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, have to agree there, driving along need to scratch. Even when I put my balaclave on then gloves then set off and my balaclava feels uncomfortable and you have big gloves on hard to reposition while having inch think fingers and driving.

biker-dj
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:18 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to ride with my visor up, even on my CBT I had the visor up but raindrops hurt, so the only time I put my visor up is at lights - to stop the visor steaming up Laughing

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:14 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I used to ride with my visor up, even on my CBT I had the visor up but raindrops hurt, so the only time I put my visor up is at lights - to stop the visor steaming up

My GF recons that I always look like I've been crying when I get in as I have visor up most of the time, only when the wind tries to rip my head off do I put it down

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:43 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: . Reply with quote

I virtually never ride with my visor down.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:04 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: . Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
I virtually never ride with my visor down.

Thats because you havent had a wasp in the eye at 80mph yet.Very Happy

If you find full face helmets a bit claustrophobic, your choice is either open face (with or without a flip down visor), or a flip front lid, like the caberg justissimo.

I dont get claustrophobic except when i stop and get off the bike, then i want the chin part out the way, so i either just take my helmet off straight away, or use my flip front.

Zen Dog

quik_d
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:14 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get claustrophobic in the helmet, which is why whenever i stop for a roundabout or whatever i pull the visor up, once moving along i'm fine. the worse thing is having a blocked nose/sinus with the helmet on as the helmet seems to double the effects and i can't hardly breath at all!

Kitten
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:34 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe in flooding therapy. I was gonna go pillion on my mates bike and do my CBT, I bought a helmet and wore it in the house for an afternoon. The neighbours must have thought I'd finally lost it! But it did get rid on the claustrophobia feeling.

As a psychologist, I recommend it!
Very Happy

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:38 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I bought a helmet and wore it in the house for an afternoon

Snap Smile

But, I was also wearing full leathers including gloves, laying on bed watching DVD Embarassed

ISLAND GIRL
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I treated myself to a new helmet just this week and it fits lovely and snug, much better than my old one. To begin with I did feel a little shut in but its ok now, quieter too when I am riding just getting used to the d-ring fastener has taken me a little longer to adjust to.

Kitten
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:44 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
Quote:
I bought a helmet and wore it in the house for an afternoon

Snap Smile

But, I was also wearing full leathers including gloves, laying on bed watching DVD Embarassed

That's just plain kinky! Shocked

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:23 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did get plenty of tuts from GF, was like a kid and a new toy. Would regularly walk around the place wearing something, either helmet, gloves or boots

Kitten
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:38 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
Did get plenty of tuts from GF, was like a kid and a new toy. Would regularly walk around the place wearing something, either helmet, gloves or boots

tbh I do the same! Very Happy (but don't tell anyone! Shhhhhhhhh)

Burncycle
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:48 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i'll try the keeping my helmet on for the afternoon idea, sounds like good advice. Its a caberg one anyway so i can always flip it up if i get stuffy. So my neightbours don't think im strange, i'll do it nude
Razz

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:29 - 08 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i'll do it nude

I'd recommend wearing gloves as well, you dont want to look like a nutter Shifty

jonnay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:53 - 08 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind mine at all, I've stopped to speak to people for 15-20 minutes before and left it on... nice and warm on a cold night Wink

I do remember at first though it was wierd hearing yourself breathe... I just put it on every now and again whilst I was waiting to turn 16 and do my CBT though, soon got used to it Smile

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 08 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only get it when i have all my gear on, neck warmer, balaclava, and helmet when i walk up the stairs to get in my house, a lot of stairs and find it hard to breath.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:52 - 09 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i had the option id sleep with my helmet on. it feels as safe as houses and the liner feels plush.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:33 - 09 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i did actually. especially when you cant get your visor up and even more when it steams up and you cant get it up cause your gloves are to bulky.

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:34 - 09 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My AGV V-Flyer lid is so comfortable for me it feels like it was made just for me.
I remember when I first tried a helmet on in the shop and at home, my breathing seemed to be really noticeable (sounded a bit like Darth Vader which I thought was cool, heehee)
Once out on the bike though, the breathing or any claustrophibia isn't normally noticeable.

Coming from 17 years as a car driver, the only noticeable difference at the beginning was learning that I had to move my head further to be able to see side to side at junctions, and that if I had to ajust a zip or button on my jacket, I can't just look down and do it cos the chin bar is in the way... Rolling Eyes (just use your mirror for that one Wink )

queen of string
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:02 - 09 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont mind the helmet thing , its the chin strap that makes me gag Sick
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 81 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2