Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Is that even legal?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 02:33 - 09 Feb 2006    Post subject: Is that even legal? Reply with quote

Just bought a textbook off of amazon, except it never even told me for certain.

You see amazon have a one click purchase, which i assumed meant you click that and it takes you straight to checkout, rather then adding it to your basket.

I clicked that, the page refreshed and that was that...

I then went to buy it the conventional way, but on getting worried one this one click purchase thing was about, check recent orders, and sure enough it was all ready being processed...

Now to explain, ive bought ONE book off them months ago, i havent signed back in, and after going to their site and clicking one button... poof instant sneaky purchase. I very nearly bought it twice.
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:36 - 09 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it confuses you, there's no need to click 'one click purchase'. Razz

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:40 - 09 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done the same with iTunes mate.

I for one would like to enter my card details for every transaction and not have anything stored on the server, or at least be asked if I am sure I want to buy something.

Misc
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:40 - 09 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did that the other day on NTL, but it didn't say 1 click it just said ''Upgrade to 2MB'' so i clicked. Next thing i know i have 2mb for 27.99 a month. I phoned them up & got it changed again. There quick to take money & slow to give it back.

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 02:45 - 09 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to online shopping

one click.. the minimum time to have to think about your purchase the better it is for them

"ooh shiny... *click*

bank manager comes a knocking before long

solution, add stuff to your basket, save it for later, have a think

if it was to take you to the checkout, it would be 2 click Wink
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 02:48 - 09 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

WildGoose wrote:

if it was to take you to the checkout, it would be 2 click Wink

True, but i still think its naughty.

I guess im just too used to play.com

They are so nice over there

And you can cancel orders easily, whereas on amazon, not only do they have the one click scam going, apparently you cant cancel it for second hand stuff Neutral

Fuck that.
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 02:51 - 09 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

its deadly Laughing

my entire dvd and games collection is pretty much amazons responsibility minus a bit of ebay, all because of how easy they make it

then they rub it in your face by asking you to sell your past purchases of thousands for £202.35 on Amazon Marketplace

evil Evil or Very Mad
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

RealNinja
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:28 - 09 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misc wrote:
I did that the other day on NTL, but it didn't say 1 click it just said ''Upgrade to 2MB'' so i clicked. Next thing i know i have 2mb for 27.99 a month. I phoned them up & got it changed again. There quick to take money & slow to give it back.

Good luck with that, I have been cut off from the NTL broadband for the last 2 weeks, but have instead enjoyed 2 free weeks of 2Meg broadband gaming and forum surfing.

Well done NTL, thats really showing me who's boss Rolling Eyes Laughing

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:25 - 09 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie wrote:
If it confuses you, there's no need to click 'one click purchase'. Razz

It is really handy, but dangerous as no need to enter credit card details Very Happy

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:54 - 09 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately something similar happened to me a few years ago, not long after I'd started using the 'net.

I'd been online at an internet cafe and ordered something from Amazon, which was fine.... but I can only assume I hadn't logged off the site properly, because when I came back the following day, found that an extra item had been added to my list.

I assume someone had used the same machine as me to log in to Amazon, and used the site in my name?! Shocked Evil or Very Mad

Thankfully I managed to remove the extra item before the order was processed, but it certainly made me a lot more careful about online shopping

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:07 - 09 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can turn off 'one click' ordering in your preferences somewhere. I know because it kept asking me if I wanted to switch it on.

I don't use them now because on three occasions they have sold me things they don't actually have, can't get and took weeks (months in one case) to decide this.

RobB
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:25 - 09 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same "issue" as stinkwheel, in that Amazon took 3 months to tell me they couldn't get the book that they initially said they could.

Still order occasionally from them, but only if the item has "1-2 days" in the estimated delivery. Anything else is a lottery.

WR450_geezer
Nobody likes me

PostPosted: 14:25 - 09 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play.com is sooo much better. I've never really got on with amazon, seems pretty dodge.

Play are good with after sales, especially around christmas time.

WR

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:17 - 09 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

WildGoose wrote:
"ooh shiny... *click*:

That's why I have 2 DVD players. Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 81 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1