Dilemma...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:43 - 09 Feb 2006    Post subject: Dilemma... Reply with quote

Hi guys (and girls),

I seem to have got myself into a bit of a pickle.

This is the 'cut down' version of whats gone on.

A few weeks ago, my sister and he long-term bf split up. They have a joint mortgage and she also has a £24k loan she got out to clear his debt (don't ask!).
He moved out, taking all his stuff with him, said she could have the car back once he's got himself sorted. Needless to say he has now written it off (what a coincidence).
I have said my sister can have my car as I dont want her stuck 60 miles from family and to rely on trains. It's also not much of a problem as 'had' the bike.
Anyway, bearing this in mind, I start to prep the bike for a bit more use, change the oil/filter etc. I do this only to find the sum has been threaded and now pisses oil all over the drive. Great!
I am hoping to win a new sump on eBay.
Right now, I dont have a bike and I'm taking the car to my sister tonight.

I hate feeling without transport!

My mum has said that she will give me £500 for the car so I can get a new one. But it's not the same. It was my baby (yes very sad!). But I also thought I could put it towards a much newer bike.

I don't mind the weather, if I only have a bike, then I'll ride in the rain if I have to.

My dilemma is this. Do I take the money and get a newer bike? Or do I keep it and find another car?

Any car I get for £500 will again need work (I spent about £400 on the old car) and it wont be the same.

I guess I could buy it back off here again when she gets a new(er) car...

It's doing my head in! Crying or Very sad

Can someone take me out for a burn PLEASE?!?!

cqueen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:02 - 09 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go and sort out the sisters ex.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wooly R6
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 09 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

who on earth gets out a 24k loan for someone else!!!!!!! Rolling Eyes

tell your mum to lend your sister the £500 so she can get a new car not you!!!

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:26 - 09 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wooly R6 wrote:
who on earth gets out a 24k loan for someone else!!!!!!! Rolling Eyes

tell your mum to lend your sister the £500 so she can get a new car not you!!!

Unfortunately my sister did. He was in bad debt and she wanted to help him out. Thinking he'd help pay it back. Love's a strange thing.

I kind of see where you're coming from re the £500, but that doesn't buy you a lot of car that is reliable. I'd rather she have it than some shit heap.
If I get another car, I am comfortable getting oily and dirty messings around with clutches and oil and other stuff, she isn't.

Perhaps I'm trying to play 'big brother' too much. My folks have not had an easy time. Both my sisters have mow been fucked over with joint mortgages and the bf's doing a runner. And people wonder why I want to rent?! Laughing

WR450_geezer
Nobody likes me

PostPosted: 14:27 - 09 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the £500 on a hitman for the ex. He sounds like a cnut.

WR

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:29 - 09 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be able to get an ok Car for £500 if you don't go too fancy.

My bottom of the range £700 laguna has been pretty reliable with only a few minor little things.

As for the sump, you can 'helicoil' them. Kit will cost about £20 or so.

Find the details and I /might/ even be able to find the kit I used on my zx6 if it was the same - though not too sure where it is at the mo. You're welcome to borrow it if I can find it and it is right.

m99dws
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 09 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get your sister to sell the house and use any equity to pay off the debt, before he comes asking for his 50%.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:10 - 09 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think sickpup does helicoils, if that helps.

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:38 - 09 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
As for the sump, you can 'helicoil' them. Kit will cost about £20 or so.

Find the details and I /might/ even be able to find the kit I used on my zx6 if it was the same - though not too sure where it is at the mo. You're welcome to borrow it if I can find it and it is right.

Cheers G. Thumbs Up I'm the only bidder on the sump at the moment, sitting at 99p! If I get sniped off of that, I may have to take you up on your offer.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:54 - 09 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need to find out what size it is first.

I only have the one size in 'big sizes' and that was for a zx6 sump as I said.

Remember you /should/ change the copper washer everytime you do the bolt up and should use a torque wrench.

Even with the right torque (which) isn't much, I believe you can risk stripping the threads once the washer has been used a few times.

In my case, the copper washer had actually been compression welded onto the bolt thanks to the twonks at Motorcycle City!

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 09 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I won it. Bandit 600 sump for 99p! What a bargain! Very Happy

Just got back from dropping the car off. I was really upset... Grown man getting upset over walking away from his pride and joy. Laughing What a pussy!

Oh well, think I'll get an SV soon, I need some cheering up!! Thumbs Up Mr. Green

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:26 - 09 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't have though the SV would really be a significant 'step up' from a bandit by the way, if that was what you were hoping.

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:31 - 09 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not so much of a step up as along. I've not really got the most out of the Bandit due to working, not being around etc.

But insurance wise, I can't afford to get the bigger bikes I wanted, so I'll have to stick to something 'sensible' for now.

Had a bit of a crap 6 months, so I need to spoil myself!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:37 - 09 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good deals out there, though don't you dare get any of them that I want Razz.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 81 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1