Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Safe Speed press release.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:39 - 12 Feb 2006    Post subject: Safe Speed press release. Reply with quote

Hi

This might be part of the cause of a load more than usual of us throwing bikes at the road.

Safe Speed wrote:

PR287: URGENT WARNING: Very low road grip widely reported

news: for immediate release

The Safe Speed road safety campaign today issued an urgent warning to all road users of unusual low grip conditions. All road users need to take special care because of a greatly increased risk of skidding.

This follows anecdotal reports from all over the country of dangerous and unusual road conditions. New de-icer compounds may be to blame. Low rainfall may have contributed.

Drivers and cyclists are reporting that road grip levels are far below norms and expectations even where roads appear to be dry and temperatures are well above freezing. Cyclists have reported falling off and motorists have reported unexpected skidding.

The unusual low grip conditions are suspected to be due to the use of de-icer compounds that include molasses to stabilise the treatment layer. This innovation is intended to reduce costs and reduce the need for repeated treatments.

To make matters worse, reports suggest that grip levels are variable as well as low. This is the worst possible case because it can and will 'catch us out'.

Paul Smith, founder of the Safe Speed road safety campaign
(www.safespeed.org.uk) said: "It looks as if a very large and dangerous mistake may have been made. The use of mollases in de-icer compounds must be suspended immediately pending testing and investigation. Lives may well depend on it. All road users need to take special care. Braking distances may be greatly increased, and cornering may cause skidding at unusually low speeds. Wheel spin may result from acceleration even in higher gears."

"If the reports are correct - and we have no reason to doubt them - we must have a public investigation concerning how this situation came about. If the de-icer compounds are responsible we must test such innovations much more carefully in the future."

<ends>

All the best

Keith

michael j
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:52 - 12 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wankers! Shocked

riichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 12 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i new it.....

way cant they just stop griting, i saw one out one night and it was no were near 0-... Rolling Eyes

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 12 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: Safe Speed press release. Reply with quote

Safe Speed wrote:
...Wheel spin may result from acceleration even in higher gears..."

Anybody else see this as a good excuse? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Teaman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 12 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

These things happen
new things arnt very good at first.
difficult to fully test everything,,
you could ask barry sheen about testing tyres (if he were still with us)

Ive noticed less grip so Im riding accordingly in all conditions,
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 12 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

riichy wrote:
way cant they just stop griting, i saw one out one night and it was no were near 0-... Rolling Eyes

The thing i hate about gritters, are when they are on the roads at about 10pm when im on my way home from the g/f's. They come down the road, rotars flailing... spraying that crap meters into the air in all directions.

See a biker coming towards them, keep going, 20 seconds later your being pelted to high heaven with shards of this crappy salt solutions.

Not only does it scratch your visor/bike, but it also bloody hurts!

[/rant]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

jay_666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:09 - 12 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

hhmm..the surface of a road by me was relaid last year or so, the number of accidents on it has risen and they're having to resurface it again
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

zaknafien

PostPosted: 14:13 - 12 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our roads are shocking yet we must pay a fortune to use them.

DukeRed
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:24 - 12 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

method wrote:
See a biker coming towards them, keep going, 20 seconds later your being pelted to high heaven with shards of this crappy salt solutions.

Would you rather they turned it off everytime they go past a biker?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:32 - 12 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Method wrote:

Does it scratch your visor and bike?

I've never seen a vehicle actually scratched from these before.

SoND
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:12 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew it, the roads have been slippy as hell this year. It's like there's been a layer of grease all over the road.

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 10:31 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, a lot of people I know have mentioned this, they need to sort that shi* quick, there’s no excuse.
I can’t believe they need to save money using a different compound.
A bunch of twats the lot of them.

Psychonaut
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:35 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well only 5% of the funds derrived from road tax actually go on the roads and unless some saving are made then they'll never get to that magic 4.9%

bidman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:46 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the roads around here are covered in a white film, I thought this was just normal salt but there is absolubtly no grip round bends riding on the stuff. Thumbs Up Dan

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 12:07 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psychonaut wrote:
Well only 5% of the funds derrived from road tax actually go on the roads and unless some saving are made then they'll never get to that magic 4.9%

If you’re right with the 5% figure they should have sorted that long ago, try to save a few quid by using fairy liquid on the roads and you’ll be increasing insurance claims all over the UK.

One thing leads to another and all that…..

SoND
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:32 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the millions from the speed cameras going?

Not on the roads thats for fucking sure Evil or Very Mad

Se7enUK
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:40 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

scary Shocked

www.MotorBikeRacer.com | www.point7.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tintin
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:50 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The use of mollases in de-icer compounds must be suspended immediately pending testing and investigation.

Huh? But don't you spell it molasses? It is a rather worrying trend if it hasn't been properly tested

I found these 2 articles:

https://rip.trb.org/browse/dproject.asp?n=8266

e to fiscal constraints, public safety, and environmental concerns, there exists a need to find a more cost effective alternative to straight sodium chloride salt for deicing roads. The New Hampshire Department of Transportation (NHDOT) District 2 wants to evaluate sodium chloride that has been treated/premixed with 2 gallons of cane molasses and 6 gallons of magnesium chloride per ton. The molasses causes the salt to stick to the road and reduces scatter and the magnesium chloride lowers the effective temperature to 0 degrees F. This negates the purchase of new equipment and we will follow current snow and ice control policy. Claims are that this material saves 30 – 50% of material use, reduces cleanup time, and reduces corrosion of equipment and vehicles. The project will be conducted on portions of Route 206 (Bristol) and 213 (Sunapee) each participating route will have a test section and control section. It is anticipated that a procedural guide for this alternative deicer will be produced. The study period will last one year if an “average” winter is experienced.

Mechanically blended deicer

Delivered pre-mixed and ready for application, ClearLane treated salt eliminates the need for subsequent spray treatment by municipality consumers. Mechanically blended, the deicing salt includes cane molasses and magnesium chloride in a uniform blend for consistent results. Offered by Cargill Salt, the product is designed to stick to pavement upon application and is reported by the company to reduce corrosion and offer cost savings benefits in comparison to untreated rock salt.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 15:19 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Not much use having a cheaper to apply cure for ice when the stuff is about as slippery as ice. Talk about missing the point of deicing the roads Shocked .

All the best

Keith

www.125power.com
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:45 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck sake! means longer to wait before i can out and enjoy myslef i.e not having to tip-toe everywhere on my bike.
So it turns out i might not be so bad at getting my down after all! the roads are to blame. hmmm.......well find out when i can get some grip
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 69 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1