Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Chrome plating or polishing

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Radnor
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 03:41 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Chrome plating or polishing Reply with quote

I've been toying with the idea of chrome plating or polishing a spare petrol tank I have for my bike.

I believe the tank is steel so is it possible to polish it to a good shine or is chrome plating the only way to go to get that mirror(ish) finish and what sort of costs would I be looking at?

Thanks for any advice on this one!

Ichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:01 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can polish steel parts up to a mirror finish, the trouble is that you need to protect it in some way. You can use a laquer but it affects the finish and you have to be careful that you don't mess it up since you can't really flat it back. The other problem is that the laquer doesn't have much of a surface to hold onto, if it gets chipped it tends to break off in bigish bits.

Chrome is strong and easy to look after, don't know any places tbh, enviromental legislation made a lot of the smaller ones close down.

Radnor
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:37 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking a bit more about this, how would a chrome type paint come out? I'm sure I've seen this done somewhere else.

I'll look into some sort of lacquer coating for now and get some prices for plating

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 14:04 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrome will usually give a better finish than polishing, plus would require less maintenance to keep as shiney. Higher level of mirrorisation as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:11 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigs23 wrote:
Higher level of mirrorisation.

Good word!

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:49 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your profile says you are in Loughborough, but your little map icon shows you in Manchester? Confused

My dad has had quite a few bits chrome plated on his bike, and was also considering having a tank done recently (changed his mind in the end). The place he has used is in Nottingham (a small place in Netherfield I think), which isn't too far if you are really in Loughborough. the quality on the bits he had chrome plated there seem pretty good, I think it was surprisingly cheap as well. I'm not sure how much they'd charge for a tank, but I think my dad reckoned around £50. If you want the number for this place I can ask my dad for you.

Radnor
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:29 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Nath, I'm from Manchester but living in Loughborough at the moment, fixed it now Smile

That sounds good, if you could get hold of the number that'd be really helpful, I reckon I can stretch to £50, I've had a fiddle with photoshop and it looks quite neat with a chrome tank

Cheers guys!

kenny
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:08 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i find chrome tends to blister and pit easy when the weather is let lose on it but it will give a more shiney finish then polished steel unless you really go at it with the polisher

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 22:56 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite hard to chrome a tank. you have to block up all the holes and then they tend to float in the chroming tank.

BFG
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:08 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chome isn't a filler. You have to get it to a mirror finish and then have it chromed.

You'll also need to get the tank utterly empty, not a whiff of fuel. It's going to cost a lot more than £50 I would have thought.

You'll be forever cleaning it. You know when some fucker comes up and points at something on your computer screen by touching it? They leave a smear of grease on the surface, well, chrome does that. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:56 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

BFG wrote:
Chome isn't a filler. You have to get it to a mirror finish and then have it chromed.

Agreed, your tank has to be almost perfect. Any dents or scratches deep enough to get to the metal will ruin it. I believe the cost of 'chrome plating' includes having the articles sandblasted as well, so you do not need to do any prep work on them.

Fifty quid certainly does sound cheap, but that's what my dad thought a tank would cost, and he has certainly had a lot of shite chrome plated over the years so I'd be inclined to trust his judgement. I'll get the number off him tomorrow morning.

Radnor
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:00 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

So from what you said it's probably worthwhile getting it to a mirror finish myself and seeing what that looks like, then either a coat of lacquer, or see about having it chrome plated

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:25 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.chromapart.co.uk/

https://www.chromapart.co.uk/Chrome%20Nissan%20Skyline.jpg

Quote:
PRICE GUIDE CHROMING

PRICES BELOW FOR MIRROR CHROME FINISHES minimum charge £45 per sq ft

MOTOR BIKE

Crash helmets from £70

Motor bike frames from £300

Front fenders from £80

Swinging arms from £90

Front farings from £100

Foot pegs x4 £45

Fuel tanks from £200

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:48 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the L1000 has moulded himeself into the shape of a nissan skyline now? Confused Very Happy

I'll deffo be able to give you a help with the sanding down and all that, i've got quite a bit of spare nitro Mors. I think all we need now is a sanding head on dremel to get it as smooth as possible. Reading that quote, 200 quid is bloody excessive and we can try what we can do to achieve a mirror finish.

Told you my bling wheels were having an effect around uni. I might offer a polishing service for people's bikes. Make em look bling for very little cost.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

BFG
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:47 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owdamer wrote:

Does that look as good close up as real deep chrome though?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

0ddball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:26 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Close up that would look black, it's a photoshop. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:32 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impact Metal Finishing
23 Meadow Road
Netherfield Nottinghamshire NG4 2FR
Tel: (0115 987 9302)

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 16:37 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does that look as good close up as real deep chrome though?

It doesn't look good period. Maybe it's just my tastes, but completely chromed vehicles look far too 'bling' and vulgar for my eyes. Good running model of what can be done, but I think chromed/polished areas should remain as details (polished frames excepted).

Sparky
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:22 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm might be over the top but would definatly turn heads for the posers out there!

led to believe this is Chrome Paint which is available in america.

riichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:32 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

why would anyone do that to a R1 Rolling Eyes

kenny
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:50 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

its not that bad at least its different

Sparky
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:38 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that was at a show i would definately look at it!
If that drove passed i would definately look at it!

i think people do stuff like this to bikes for many reasons! show off its potential, to see if it can be done, to achieve "wow" factor. i also think they would do it to an R1 as they will try and use top of the range bikes as it wouldnt look the same doing that to say a 50cc moped! ha ha

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:12 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
why would anyone do that to a R1

Why would you wanna ruin a tidy ride like that?

Me not likey Thumbs Down

Radnor
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:16 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about to start polishing this to see what kind of finish I can get, do I just need to borrow Nitro Mors off titz to remove the paint and then rub the metal down with wet and dry going up in stages.

I remember someone saying that as it gets smooth the paper kind of glides over then you should change grades, does that sound right?

What kind of polishes will I need and also any recommendations for a lacquer?

Cheers
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 69 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1