Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Smoking ban - your thoughts?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Smoking Ban Vote
Outright ban
44%
 44%  [ 40 ]
Ban but exempt pubs not serving food and private member clubs
24%
 24%  [ 22 ]
Ban all except private member clubs
13%
 13%  [ 12 ]
None of the above - I can't be bothered
16%
 16%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 89

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 13:09 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate that quote, load of shite….

Anyways, how are you meant to speak up and defend against a drug which kills thousands a year?
Like paedophilia, you might enjoy it, but dam is it wrong……
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

octane
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:16 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

daz|n00by wrote:
Quote:
All the smokers that are whinging can shut the fuck up; it's here, and you'll still go to pubs

I dont drink so saying we will still go to pubs is subjective isnt it?
And i dont see why that makes me a sad cunt as you so childishly put it, because i dont go to pubs makes me a child?
i think a ban on beer would be a good thing, maybe stop loud mouth pricks spouting rubbish.

So, you don't even go to pubs, so why are you getting so irate?

Not going to pubs doesn't make you a sad cunt, but anyone that does go to pubs suddenly abstaining because they can't smoke a cigartte, would be a sad cunt, yes.
If you choose to sit at home with your cigarettes, because you can't smoke, instead of socializing with your friends, you definitely need to get a grip.

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:47 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

A comment I read elsewhere:

"Having a smoking area in a pub is like having a pissing area in a swimming pool."

Made me laugh, that did. Thumbs Up

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:08 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I don't smoke, but I am against the ban. There are perfectly workable solutions (such as seperate smoking rooms). Nothing stopping licensing rules insisting on at least one non smoking bar in a licensed pub.

People should be free to smoke (just as they should be free not to smoke). If people choose to kill themselves off early by smoking (paying massive taxes in the process and saving us a fortune in pensions) then that is fine by me.

Just another ban aimed at a large minority of the population.

And yes I was against the ban on hand guns. Stuff all good that the ban did.

innominate wrote:
If you smoke in a room with others they WILL breath in the smoke whatever happens & that has proved to be damaging to them.

You ride a bike (which do have nasty exhaust emissions) then your exhaust fumes are inflicted on others and are proven to be harming them.

Whether that harm is of any real relevance is another question. How many people really are killed by passive smoking? And I don't mean the ones whose deaths are brought forward a day or so because of the smoke (a common trick used against motorists when various anti groups are trying to make a point about vehicle emissions).

All the best

Keith

distortion
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:20 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, this is going to put alot of pubs out of buisness i think. I smoke like a trooper when im drinking, as Nighteyes has told me.

Looks like the local bargin booze will be getting all my buisness now.

Personally i think that places not serving food should be able to welcome smokers.

As a smoker myself i cannot stand to eat if someone is smoking around me and have either asked them to stop or taken it off them and put it out myself before.

Before this smoking ban came to light how much did we hear about it on the news ? how many people were signing petitions to stop smoking ? i honestly cant remember anything being mentioned about it.

This is the bloody foreign gits trying to rub a bit of them off on us Twisted Evil

personally i dont care about all the new rules - i'll work round them. But what im bothered about is what is it going to be like for our kids and there kids and there kids kids ???

This country is slowly going to pot and its the future generations that are going to suffer i think.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:28 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

distortion wrote:
This is the bloody foreign gits trying to rub a bit of them off on us Twisted Evil

Doubt it. Most other countries peoples are far more interested in freedoms than prolonging their lives a bit. Smoking was certainly far more common when I worked in Belgium (and the Belgians complained their cigerettes were too expensive and instead go the ones smuggled in from Poland, while Belgian ones are smuggled here as they are cheaper).

All the best

Keith

distortion
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:33 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstarts tip of the day

Smuggle ciggys from Poland Wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Cheers Kieth Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

m99dws
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmer wrote:
It's just smoking... jesus Rolling Eyes

I can't see many people going with the law to be honest. If you need a fag, you need a fag. IMO if you go out to a bar/nightclub or what ever, you have to expect to come back smelling like a burning brewery. If you dont like it, go elsewhere.

To be honest i hardly see anyone smoking in public, except for pubs and stuff, so i see no problem with it.

I just can't stand the people who cry about it so much.

You don't understand it because you have only just arrived at the legal age to smoke, and are still 2 years from being allowed into pubs and clubs.

Jeez, children should be excluded from posting in adult threads!

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes

PostPosted: 14:47 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if it's been brought up yet.

But think of how pubs and clubs will smell without fags, body odour, bad breath and cheap aftershave. Fags cover the lot up.

Against the ban.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Philly46
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:49 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't smoke but have got used to peeps doing it around me so I'm not that bothered either way.

daz|n00by
The Internet

PostPosted: 16:39 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So, you don't even go to pubs, so why are you getting so irate?

You really don't see the big picture do you? i dont go to pubs for a drinking session because i dont drink only to socialize

It is my choice to go or not, it was my choice to smoke or not, it was your choice what pub to go in, now its not ,
you will be able to go in any pub you want because smokers have had their civil liberties taken away from them, if its right or wrong to smoke is not the point,
if i want to smoke or not has nothing to do with you or anybody else but now all of a sudden it is somebody else who i have never meet and will more than likely never meet who has taken my options away from me.

Was i asked?was i given an option?did i have any say?NO it was taken away from me because somebody thought it would be good for the country, (if it is or not is not my point)

How long before somebody else thinks that motor bikes should be no bigger than a 250cc because you dont need any bigger? how long before your only allowed 3 pints in a pub because that enough for a 6 hour session?

This is only the start of what is becoming /already is a nanny state that we will only be allowed to do what we are told to do.

I really hope some new laws are stupid ideas come about soon that afect bikers and then i can sit back and laugh as you all moan that your £4000 bike is no longer leagle in this country.

octane
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:56 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

daz|n00by wrote:

I really hope some new laws are stupid ideas come about soon that afect bikers and then i can sit back and laugh as you all moan that your £4000 bike is no longer leagle in this country.

I haven't had a bike since mine got nicked, and I'll most likely moving to the U.S by the end of the year, so Middle Finger Very Happy Middle Finger

All this shit about nanny state cracks me up. New legislation is introduced, and everyone has a hissy fit; we've been being told what we can and can't do by government long before now, and by our 'superiors' when the feudal system existed.

Things change. For once, they go it right... IMHO of course.

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:43 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dom_ wrote:
But think of how pubs and clubs will smell without fags, body odour, bad breath and cheap aftershave. Fags cover the lot up.

Yeah and make other peoples clothes stink for weeks on after. Shocked Wink

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 17:48 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too bothered about the ban apart from the private clubs bit! It's a private club, I go to the Perry Street club every week to play in the skittles tournament and 90% of people there smoke, both the landlords smoke, it wouldn't be the perry street without the fog of smoke.

Let the private clubs have their say and their own rules on cigarettes. Evil or Very Mad
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:13 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

House parties it is then. In the summer with a beer garden it won't be a problem. But in the winter. Pubs will be dead. Landlords of small pubs will suffer, if not lose their jobs.

IMO they f***ed up.

If I had the money I'd buy an off-licence because they'll make a killing.

Anyother w@nkers want to tell me how to live my life and what I can and can't do?

I don't remember a public vote on this. Confused

Like I said earlier, 'speak easys'. Cool Smokers/landlords will find a way around it. Smaller pubs will probably let you smoke anyway. Either that or close.

Wonder if the ban will last?

What makes me laugh is you can give beer to violent drunks in glass containers and glass can be lethal. Let's face it every bottle/glass in a pub is a weapon. But you can't have a smoke because somebody might cough. Confused

Well at least we still have 18 months to smoke in them. Wink Laughing

This country is turning to sh1t.

(I notice Australia have relaxed their migration laws. *Looks in to life out there*)

https://www.moderndrunkardmagazine.com/images/speakeasy-header-col.jpg

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:26 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Read it next week. All foods containing nuts banned from public sale as someone with a fatal nut allergy might come into contact with them.

All the best

Keith

spitfire
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:58 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

daz|n00by wrote:
Quote:
Smokers get very defensive when faced with their habit being restricted

Yes i,m defensive about having my civil libertys taken away from me.

Civil liberties? What your civil liberty to kill yourself and others? Yes that is really important. I don't meant to be rude but the above comment sounds like the ranting of a teenager.

What about my civil liberties? I want to go out and not run the risk of getting lung cancer, coming home stinking of smoke.

Remember you can still go to a non smoking pub and pop outside for a smoke....while I find it horrible now being in a smoke filled pub. How dare you suggest I'm in the wrong, smoking is anti social so why on earth do you think I should accept it? If I came up to you and covered you in food I ordered at the bar, making you dirty you would be outraged, you would think it was anti social, smoking is exactly the same.

While we are on civil liberties and all this "nanny state" crap, you have no idea what freedom and human rights you have in this country, more than most places in the world. A lot of people worked very hard and spilled a lot of blood for your rights, don't believe me? Try reading about some of the regimes around the world, what people suffered in the various wars we have had. Have you read about are various rights we now have being in the European Union? Mrs Spitfire did Law at uni, as she said we have never had so many rights and so much freedom.

So please spare me the civil liberties line, it's childish and insulting.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:10 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitfire wrote:
What about my civil liberties? I want to go out and not run the risk of getting lung cancer, coming home stinking of smoke.

The risk that is so minimal that you probably stand far more chance of being run over stumbling home from the pub.

spitfire wrote:
Remember you can still go to a non smoking pub and pop outside for a smoke....

So what is wrong with a smoking room in the pub? Why must it be a ban?

spitfire wrote:
How dare you suggest I'm in the wrong,

I suspect he dares because you are showing as much respect for his wish to smoke as the level of respect shown by someone deliberatly breathing smoke in your face.

spitfire wrote:
While we are on civil liberties and all this "nanny state" crap, you have no idea what freedom and human rights you have in this country, more than most places in the world.

Not for much longer with interferring legislation, of which this is only one example.

All the best

Keith

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:22 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitfire wrote:
people suffered in the various wars we have had

Exactly. People fought wars and died so we could keep our 'freedom' just so d1ckheads in suits could take it away at a later date.

Bring on the revolution...

Mrs Kickstart
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:26 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I am against the ban, I do belive a landlord should be able to ban smoking in all or some of his pub.

If enough non smokers want this then it will happen as an economic necessity, I avoid restaurants that are not all non smoking as I hate smoke when I am eating. I also do not allow smoking in my house. However I do not expect all restaurants to cater for me.

I am with Sadie and Keith on this one.. the thin end of wedge.

Regards
C

spitfire
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:19 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

flip wrote:
spitfire wrote:
people suffered in the various wars we have had

Exactly. People fought wars and died so we could keep our 'freedom' just so d1ckheads in suits could take it away at a later date.

Bring on the revolution...

They did not fight for our freedom to kill each other.

spitfire
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:23 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
spitfire wrote:

The risk that is so minimal that you probably stand far more chance of being run over stumbling home from the pub.

spitfire wrote:
Remember you can still go to a non smoking pub and pop outside for a smoke....

So what is wrong with a smoking room in the pub? Why must it be a ban?

spitfire wrote:
How dare you suggest I'm in the wrong,

I suspect he dares because you are showing as much respect for his wish to smoke as the level of respect shown by someone deliberatly breathing smoke in your face.

spitfire wrote:
While we are on civil liberties and all this "nanny state" crap, you have no idea what freedom and human rights you have in this country, more than most places in the world.

Not for much longer with interferring legislation, of which this is only one example.

All the best

Keith

Passive smoking is iffy there is a high risk, besides health risk or not its still anti social.

As for having a smoking rooms thats a no no, as you have to consider the person working in that room. If they are subjected to smoke and their co workers not then you have a human rights issue on your hands.

I'm sure people moaned about civil liberties when they introduced drink driving limits...but over time society realises that its for the greater good.

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:32 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitfire wrote:

To be fair it annoys more people than it kills. There was a report that said passive smoking wasn't as harmful as first thought but I can't be bothered to look for it. Laughing

Smoking rooms (or Roy Castle suites as I like to call them) are a good idea, just employ smokers to work in that room.

Still. Too little too late for Roy Castle.

mattsmith95
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:37 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read in the paper that this outright ban has one exception, THE BAR AT THE HOUSE OF COMMANS!

SO we will not be able to smoke in a club or bar but the wankers in the house of commans CAN, hardly seems fair.

Personally an outright isn't the answer, many pub landlords will probably sell up, it beats going bust.

daz|n00by
The Internet

PostPosted: 21:38 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

No we fought so you can sit their and call me a child while referring to your wife/partner as Mrs. Spitfire.
You do seem to have a very one sided view of things from your posts, all i see is "i dont want" "you cant " "i" "me" .

Have you looked at this topic from any other point than you want life to suit you and any body else can go and get f*cked?

This topic isnt about ME its about 2 million people in the uk who have just had a slice of their life infringed on by others who belive they are doing the right thing without me/us getting asked what i want, maybe its not to far away that they will remove some of your good life without asking.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 91 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6