Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Help , weird noise from Citeron Saxo

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

dransy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:57 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Help , weird noise from Citeron Saxo Reply with quote

Hi all my best mate was in her saxo on night and there was a road sign in the road and a wagon coming the other way, she had no option but to drive straight over it.

Anyway to my point , when going down a hil the front left wheel starts whining like something is rubbing , but it only happens when going down a hill?

I dont know much about cars but i thought it might be the wheel bearing , and she also said that it only happens when someone else is in the car lol?

Any ideas? i know its a long shot

Cheers marc

R4nger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:59 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you actually looked under the car?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 01:02 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound's like something's broken to me.

Klause
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:08 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drive out of her street, keep going straight ahead, I'm sure you will find a cliff Thumbs Up .

Erm, Whining hey, doesn't sound like it would be metal on metal then if it was whinning noise. I dunno, hate cars.

dransy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:10 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i looked under the car i wouldnt know what to look at , obviously around the wheel area , but i dont see why it only does it going down a hill

Its like a deep whining aswell i should mention

cheers marc

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 02:17 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the car pulling at all?

Sometimes if the tracking has been knocked out enough it can cause all sorts of strange things to happen.

Im sure on the Shitron Saxo, The brakes and Suspension Hydraulics all interlink.

could be anything, But its probably not that serious.

Take a look under the car (on the drivers side and passeneger side) and just compair both sides.

Your best bet is to probably drop it in at the local Kwikfit, Checks are free anyway. I get them all day long.

Get the tracking checked too.

Only thing is, if its damage to the brakes, i dont think Kwikfit can touch them as the Shocks and brakes are all one system, Its strange and very complexed on the citrons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

SteWhit
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 05:44 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure it only started after she ran over the sign? We have a Saxo too which was making the sound you described. Looked all over to see what was making it, had all the wheels off and checked all the bearings and could see anything wrong. Turned out that the CV boot had come off and joint had dried out and was grinding. I just refitted the boot and re-greased it and all was ok. Although when this happened it did mean that the CV joint was nackered and has now started to knock like hell, another job i need to get round to doing.

Nb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:58 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Im sure on the Shitron Saxo, The brakes and Suspension Hydraulics all interlink

Not on the saxo they arent.
Like the above post, sounds like cv joint/boot issue. I had a funny noise on mine once and it turned out to be the cv boot clip had come undone, which started rubbing causing a nasty noise. Take it to a garage you trust and get them to have a look. Thumbs Up

Last edited by Nb on 08:32 - 16 Feb 2006; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dransy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:46 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

CV joint? whats this? i know nothing at all about cars just basic maintanance etc .

Cheers
Marc

MikeyC
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:49 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a whining noise?

You sure my missus weren't sitting in the back seat? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WR450_geezer
Nobody likes me

PostPosted: 01:00 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a Saxo, all noises and breakages come with the car from new.

WR

SteWhit
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 01:12 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

CV joint is the thing that attaches the wheel to the drive shaft. They need to be lubed at all times. The have a rubber sleeve over them called the boot. This is full of grease and clipped at each end. If one of the clips comes off you end up loosing all the grease which causes the joint to fail and make grinding sounds.

Some cars you are able to change the joint on it's own, but i think the Saxo has all in one drive shafts/CV joint so you make need a new drive shaft. Our car does... desperatly! There not too expensive, priced up a second hand one the other day it was only £30.

gammamanuk
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:08 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great french build quality thread.

Sounds like its mashed the wheel bearing.

List of possibilities

CV Joint
Wheel Bearing
Suspension Coil Spring possibly snapped and rubbing on inside tyre wall, ive seen that happen before Smile

Johnny GSX-R
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:14 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a load of garbage i'm reading.

Why are people who CLEARLY know NOTHING about motor vehicles giving advice on them.

'Smashed wheel bearing' FFS Rolling Eyes

'Hydralastic suspension' on a SAXO Thumbs Down

1st thing to do is get the car into a garage so they can get it up on the ramp and have a damn good look around it, if the sign has caught a brake line or cut into a tyre etc you really need it sorting. As for the noise, without being able to hear it then it like pissing in the wind..

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 11:40 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

WR450_geezer wrote:

WR

My car doesn't break down much or make weird noises. Confused

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:03 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you had an XM Rolling Eyes

WR450_geezer
Nobody likes me

PostPosted: 14:25 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

markcatate wrote:
WR450_geezer wrote:

WR

My car doesn't break down much or make weird noises. Confused

markcatate wrote:
Posted: 08:35 - 01 Feb 2006
Got to work and tried to switch the ignition off and the keys jammed in the barrell, wont turn or anything. Also the steering wheel is really heavy like theres no power steering.

Wink

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 16:00 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said much. Wink

Since september i've broken the ignition barrel, fuel pump and central locking. Embarassed

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 02:45 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You think thats bad!?!

You should try owning a Mini! Shocked

I can honnestly say I can NOT go 24 hours without a problem. Could be anything, Somthing silly like a dodgey connection.

Its got a faulty coil on it too, So After every 10 miles or so, It decides to die, The Backfire, then the engine comes on for a second. Then it dies completely (even at like 70mph on motorways). And IM forced to Coast into the H/s where it requires 10 minutes "rest". Razz

306_abb
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:59 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

c.v boot has dryed up happens to most french cars fill it with grease

spitfire
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:18 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Saxo might have the same suspention setup as my good lady's AX.

If so it will have torsion bar rear suspention, and not springs like on real cars. If the bushes fail then the rear wheel(s) tend to angle inwards and rub against the inside of the wheel arch...could be that, you will need to get it up on the ramp to have a look. If it is you are looking at £400 + to fit a second hand sub frame.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 72 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1