Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Never Mind The Smoking Ban...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:22 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Never Mind The Smoking Ban... Reply with quote

...this affects ALL bikers:

https://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200506/cmbills/113/06113.i-iii.html

Bend over and grease up for such offences as:

Compulsory insurance for SORN'd vehicles.
Radar detectors AND GPS Gatso overlays made illegal.
Alcohol ignition interlocks - WTF are they?
A single speeding offence could get you 6 points.

That should slap the grins off all the smug anti-smokers faces.

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 13:29 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: Never Mind The Smoking Ban... Reply with quote

bazza wrote:

Thats when you have to breathe into a tube and if your above the alcohol level then your engine won't start.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:03 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: Never Mind The Smoking Ban... Reply with quote

markcatate wrote:
bazza wrote:

Thats when you have to breathe into a tube and if your above the alcohol level then your engine won't start.

Dont see any problem with that at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes

PostPosted: 15:09 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: Never Mind The Smoking Ban... Reply with quote

markcatate wrote:

It's hardly fool proof, just get a sober person to breathe into it. Although anyone sober shouldn't be letting a drunk person ride...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:10 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: Never Mind The Smoking Ban... Reply with quote

bazza wrote:

Nope, not really. Very Happy Thumbs Up

SORN Vehicles - Don't have any anyway
Don't have radar detectors and don't plan to
Don't drink and ride.
And if I get caught speeding, well, I'll accept the consequence.

I'm of the optimistic nature anyway, I reckon it's all mumbo jumbo.

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On the other hand you might only get 2 points for a minor speeding offence.

-Savage-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive 3 bloody SORN'ed vehicals!!!!

ive only registered 2 of them though, but FFS, you might prove cheaper taxing it and not insuring, rather than SORN'ing it if you have to insure it?

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:26 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: Never Mind The Smoking Ban... Reply with quote

Dom_ wrote:
It's hardly fool proof, just get a sober person to breathe into it.

That's an offence too.

Wooly R6
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

then you have gotta pove it

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 15:35 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully drunk and sober parties die in a crash soon after….

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:38 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: Never Mind The Smoking Ban... Reply with quote

instigator wrote:
Don't drink and ride.

It doesn't just specify radar detectors, it can be cam overlays for your GPS, or PDA database - even that edition of the AA road atlas that lists the gatsos round the country.

And consider this - not an unlikey scenario given your history of changing bikes - you buy a bike which someone trailers over to you on a Sat afternoon. You and he do the V5 stuff. From that point, if you don't have insurance for the new bike, you'll be committing an offence - even if it's in your garage on paddock stands with the wheels off and engine in bits.

Those were just the edited highlights. You want mumbo jumbo, try reading the rest - new offences, increased penalties for existing offences and more jolly stuff.

SoND
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:56 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theyre really starting to take the piss.

Compulsory insurance for SORN'd vehicles.

Why on earth do you need insurance for something that's off the road? Would any of this money go to the government somehow?

Radar detectors AND GPS Gatso overlays made illegal.

Trying to make more money out of scameras.

Just seems like hassle and it's something else that can break and stop you from riding.

Seems a bit harsh, 3 points is already enough. Someone goes past a camera at 78mph and they suddenly have 6 points on their license which could make their insurance go up shitloads.

How can they even justify using gatso cameras when they have been proven to be inaccurate?

Evil or Very Mad Thumbs Down

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:04 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: Never Mind The Smoking Ban... Reply with quote

instigator wrote:
bazza wrote:

Nope, not really. Very Happy Thumbs Up

Don't drink and ride.

I agree on the BS front, most politicians are drunkards anyway so they'll never vote that through.

The speeding is harsh, though. If we were all monitored constantly, everyone on the road would be banned in a day as it is. 6 points is just a joke...

Jack
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:59 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: Never Mind The Smoking Ban... Reply with quote

Jack_Cheese wrote:
The speeding is harsh, though. If we were all monitored constantly, everyone on the road would be banned in a day as it is. 6 points is just a joke...

It's variable. 2-6 points, which will probably mean they will give you less points the closer to 12 you get. They want to keep you on the road earning revenue, after all.

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:19 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brethalizer ignitions they are proposeing are only for people who have been caught drink driveng, and it serves the twats right Thumbs Down

The insured sorned vehicles idea is fucking ludicrous, no way they can justify that on any grounds...

Radar detectors are illegal in most countrys allready.. not supprised they want to ban them.. its not going to stop people useing them, they will just use audio type detectors or something..

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 19:55 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merely the start of thing's to come.

They will try to ban motorcycling eventually.

MalcolmT
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:35 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading these posts I’m beginning to think moving from England To South Africa many moons ago was a decent idea.

I visit the UK regularly and can't get over how subservient most people seem to be
( hope that description isn't too strong ).

Out here, traffic laws are reasonably enforced in town but get out of town and its like going back 30 years. Get off the highways, there are plenty of great roads, speed traps are far and few between, and there’s very little traffic. 100mph plus cruising is a piece of cake.

https://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c373/mmoorhouse/My%20Bikes/EasternFreeState.jpg

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:58 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What on earth is going on when you have to pay insurance for a vehicle that could be in several pieces waiting to be reassembled.

Fucking insurance rip offs.

Why get 6 points for speeding. A fellow worker got stopped speeding at 85mph (they overtook a marked car Laughing ), didn't even get wrist slapped.

By the way, she's was a she.

If its was a bloke? Points and fine Middle Finger

cunni
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:06 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

SORN Vehicles MUST Be Insured - WRONG!!!

If you read the details closely in the very first line, the heading, you'll notice it says "Does not meet the requirements of the insurance policy".

All insurance policies have differing requirements, mostly the same but with the odd bit that varies.

Therefore, as long as you keep it standard or report to the insurance company that your bike has modifications and therefore get them approaved on your policy, then you have committed an offence.

If your vehicle is SORN, it does not require insurance, and as such can't be kept within the requirements of something you don't have, an insurance policy. You wouldn't be expected to put a modified vehicle back to standard whilst it was declared SORN.

Nowhere in those guidelines does it even hint that you must insure a SORN Vehicle.

Took me a while to figure, as I had the above comments in mind, but it soon become clear it has been read slightly out of context. Some good news at least, otherwise all Race Bikes, even BSB bikes in this country would need to be insured. Imagine a 15 year old trying to get insured on his/her Race GP 125! No way, not to mention cost of insuring a 1000cc 200+ BHP bike that is not road legal, has loads of unapproaved equipment on board and run's on non-road-legal tyres, fuel and has no headlights or indicators! Yikes!!!!!

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:11 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No way, not to mention cost of insuring a 1000cc 200+ BHP bike that is not road legal, has loads of unapproaved equipment on board and run's on non-road-legal tyres, fuel and has no headlights or indicators! Yikes!!!!!

Get some quotes for a laugh Laughing

kal9001
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:30 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

the way i understandit, the insurance thing is trying to be like the new tax laws, unless you declare it off road then you are expected to be insured.
6 points for speeding is abit harsh, imean come on, they balme speeding for all lifes problems, its not, its dick head drivers who dont check their mirrors, dont obay lane seperation ect...was following a "galixy FM" van yesterday not sure what they were doing but the driveing was appauling, round a motorway junction drifted lanes twice then still ended up in the wrong one Neutral
people who dont know how to stay in a lane and cut roundabouts, and corners by going intoother lanes then back out again are the kind of people that cause accidents, speeding alone is not a problem.

the breath test thing again seems like crap, unless it is as suggested only for people with a previous conviction. but with all this extra stuff being added how is it going to help amature mechanics who are looking for a decent engine for their gokart "oh jeez i cant use that one id be there 3 years wiring it up!"

the gatso detectors are shocking...if you dont have the attention span to look out for them on the road then you shudn tbe driving anyway! i saw a scamera van yesterday, i slowed down as i saw it (he was facing the other way) but i can imagine people who were caught by that yesterday giving it all "WTF how can he get away with hiding there FFS" my answer...PAY MORE ATTENTION! what if it wasnt a scamera, and it was a delivery van and he was just about to pull out... Middle Finger wich again links back to the speed thing.

Speed doesnt kill, half witted corner-cutting, impatient, fools who dont pay attention to the road conditions kill people.

you need to have somekind of check upifyou cant spot a scamera van...how can you not see a big blue and yellow van with orange stripes over it and a big picture of a speed camera on the side! not to mention anything that parks in a bus stop is ether introuble or is the police... Rolling Eyes

kb-zxr
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 15:06 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree KAL. What annoys me is seeing some idiot doing 25mph in a 30mph, and even then they still cross the white lines into the other lane whilst taking a very slight bend/corner.

If I was to take the corner perfectly whilst doing 31mph I would be the "crazy dangerous nutter young driver" Mad

And forever of you readers who voted this goverment in Middle Finger Wink

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:22 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalcolmT wrote:
After reading these posts I’m beginning to think moving from England To South Africa many moons ago was a decent idea.

I visit the UK regularly and can't get over how subservient most people seem to be
( hope that description isn't too strong ).

Out here, traffic laws are reasonably enforced in town but get out of town and its like going back 30 years. Get off the highways, there are plenty of great roads, speed traps are far and few between, and there’s very little traffic. 100mph plus cruising is a piece of cake.

https://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c373/mmoorhouse/My%20Bikes/EasternFreeState.jpg

Yeah might be good for bikes but there there is a lot of trouble in South Africa, i would be in a tank not on a bike.

MalcolmT
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:33 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevie GooGs wrote:
[
Yeah might be good for bikes but there there is a lot of trouble in South Africa, i would be in a tank not on a bike.

Hi Steve, Unfortunately there is trouble wherever you live in the world. Our government is watching what goes on in Europe and keeps trying to implement a number of nanny laws.

They tried the smoking ban and nobody gave a toss, the cops can’t be bothered to arrest someone for smoking.

About 60% of the sports bike run without plates, as long as you keep it under seat and wrap your license in a fiver when stopped everyone is happy.

The cops moan about noisy exhausts but rarely have the gear to prove it.

We pay less than a tenner per year for the road tax.

In the land of the blind the man with one eye is king.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:39 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Think SORN is utterly pointless anyway, and making it an offence to not have a bike insured that you have not filled in some pointless paperwork for is rediculous.

The way things are it will be far easier to just be totally illegal.

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 42 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2