Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

MalcolmT
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:46 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith,

What actually is SORN ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:50 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Statutory Off Road Notification.

Basically if you do not fill in some useless paperwork to say your vehicle is off the road when the tax runs out then they do you for it. Not like they cannot take the hint that because the tax has run out that it is off the road.

Oh, and the notification only lasts a year.

All the best

Keith

MalcolmT
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:06 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith

We've never been able to stop and start with the road licence (tax). If you take the bike off the road for a couple of years then you pay back tax plus a fine. I got caught out with this when rebuilt a Suzy GT-380 cost me a couple of hundred quid. Then I rebuilt a Yam XS-750 that was scrapped. There was no back tax to pay but what a mission to re-register it when the officials can't even spell Yamaha on the paperwork .

Cheers Malcolm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:10 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Until a few years ago there was no problem having a break in taxation here. Then they decided that Swansea could do with a few more people off benefits and to rip road users off a bit more.

All the best

Keith

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:00 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalcolmT wrote:
Stevie GooGs wrote:
[
Yeah might be good for bikes but there there is a lot of trouble in South Africa, i would be in a tank not on a bike.

Hi Steve, Unfortunately there is trouble wherever you live in the world. Our government is watching what goes on in Europe and keeps trying to implement a number of nanny laws.

They tried the smoking ban and nobody gave a toss, the cops can’t be bothered to arrest someone for smoking.

About 60% of the sports bike run without plates, as long as you keep it under seat and wrap your license in a fiver when stopped everyone is happy.

The cops moan about noisy exhausts but rarely have the gear to prove it.

We pay less than a tenner per year for the road tax.

In the land of the blind the man with one eye is king.

True m8, my boss in work is from South Africa and told me some horror stories about the crime over there. Looks a lovely as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kal9001
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 01:04 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

thething in south africa, when they come looking for your TV you greet em with you and two mates with AK-47's and fullbody armour...doyou think that would come into the reasonable force law we have over here?

its pretty obvious that the SORN thing was set up due to people not taxing their cars, and thus it is far easier to give us all abit of inconveniance rather then chase upthe scum bags who try to get away with it.

i can only imagine the insurace thing is the same. think of it this way, just be gald you arent a car collector Neutral

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 01:12 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

KAL9000 wrote:
tand thus it is far easier to give us all abit of inconveniance rather then chase upthe scum bags who try to get away with it.

But they will just not register the car in their name so it will not affect them at all.

KAL9000 wrote:
i can only imagine the insurace thing is the same. think of it this way, just be gald you arent a car collector Neutral

With ~20 vehicles it is a pain in the neck.

All the best

Keith

distortion
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 03:59 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kieth is a collector alright - god knows how many bikes and other vehicles he's got in his garage Laughing

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:50 - 22 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

surely the insurance of Sorn'd vehicles would be arguable as I'd class my Varadero under contents insurance along with chainsaws and other bits and bobs?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:13 - 22 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The bike would not be covered for 3rd party injuries.

All the best

Keith

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:15 - 22 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

but if its sorn'd its on private land so cant injure anyone..

the washing line is more dangerous Rolling Eyes

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:18 - 22 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant find the part in the document that states you have to insure an off-road vehicle, howver, I noticed that the alcohol ignition interlocks only apply to convicted drink-drivers, which sounds ideal to me.

Carefull not to knee-jerk, this bill is trying to make people to drive better, and thats good news for motorcyclists - Who generally suffer severe consequences of car drivers mistakes.

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:21 - 22 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes but often the people these new laws are made to catch or detterr are the ones who are ignorant to them and don't give a damn regardless....

Just more limits on law abiding peeps

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:21 - 22 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite, and if it is not on the road because it isn't taxed, why do they need some pointless form to tell them it isn't taxed.

All you need cover for is 3rd party liability when it is on the highway. There is no reason why you should need cover for it when it is not on the highway.

All the best

Keith

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:24 - 22 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the new bill does not require SORN'ed vehicles to be insured.

I dont know why the original poster said it did.

As far as I can see it's mostly unimportant changes, reduces speeding fines to 2 points for minor offences, and obliges convicted drink drivers to fit an alcohol lock.

What's the big fuss about?

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 22 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards to whether SORN is a waste of time or not, I think its quite good.

I accidentally let my bike go untaxed for 2 months, and I run a fairly large company for a living - So god help less organised people, or those who don't feel very inclinced to pay their tax.

Atleast by forcing you to either tax it or SORN it, the government are undoubtedly reducing the number of untaxed (and therefore uninsured) vehicles on the road, which IMO is good news for bikers (ever been hit by an untaxed & uninsured car?).

Admittedly the SORN form is a mild inconvenience, but IMO it's no big deal.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:43 - 22 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

So they need a piece of paper to tell them I am not taxing a vehicle? It is hardly like they do anything to chase up the SORN notice, so it does nothing to stop people accidently or deliberatly not paying their VED.

Just because it is not taxed DOES NOT mean it is not insured. The insurance company might try and get out of claims from the owner but they have to still cover the 3rd party liability.

I cannot find the original bill to find what the exemptions are, but there is nothing in new act that would allow you to own an uninsured vehicle.

As to the reduced points, in the orignal consultation the speeds to get 2 points was around the level where currently nobody would bother with a penalty.

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 59 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2