Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bye bye 2 strokes!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:16 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Bye bye 2 strokes! Reply with quote

There's been a lot of talk about 2 strokes being phased out because of their fuel efficiency, and it looks like it's going to happen. There was a small article in MCN about a new 4 stroke engine which is more powerful, and I found an article from Honda:

Quote:
Honda is now developing the world’s top level low friction engine for the 100cc to 125cc class – the largest volume segment in the world. This achieves improved combustion efficiency by introducing two spark plugs while significantly reducing engine friction. With this new innovation, Honda aims to improve fuel economy for 100cc to 125cc engines by 13% compared to the level of 2005. In addition, Honda will adapt the Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) system technology already in use in passenger car engines for use in motorcycle engines. VCM delivers both higher fuel efficiency and superior performance. By deploying VCM technology on larger models to provide 4-stage control (2-cylinder/2-valve; 3-cylinder/2-valve; 4-cylinder/2-valve; and 4-cylinder/4-valve) over the number of combustion cylinders, Honda aims to increase fuel-efficiency by 30% compared to the level of 2005.

https://world.honda.com/news/2005/c050720_c.html

With more powerful 4 strokes on the way, there's only going to be more leverage for the people who want 2 strokes out!

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:30 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I was thinking about the other night:

Is there any reason why you can't have a two stroke engine, but with with fuel injection and conventional inlet and exhaust poppet valves like on a four stroke? With sidevalves on opposite sides of the cylinder the mixture would not be immediately sucked out, and with the fuel injection forcing it in extra quick it should be possible to minimise the length of time that the valves need to be open simultaneously. With less mixture escaping with the exhaust gasses, and no oil being burnt, this would surely also create a less polluting two-stroke.

Or am I missing something pretty fundamental?

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:05 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2 strokes best point in general day to day use is it's simplicity, you dont 4 stroke strimmers or sthil saws.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:12 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since when were strimmers and saws 125 cc? or 50 cc for that matter?

There is no physical reason for 4 stroke 125s to be less powerful than 2 strokes, it's money and development time that sucks the cash. The quicker they phase out the 2 smokes, the quicker they can get on to giving us 30 bhp from a 4t 125.

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 11:05 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

its about time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it about time?

As soon as you show me a 4t 250 that makes 60-70bhp without a turbo i may agree but until then even though no one actually produces a performance 2 stroke any more i may agree.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:51 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsxrmick wrote:
Why is it about time?

As soon as you show me a 4t 250 that makes 60-70bhp without a turbo i may agree but until then even though no one actually produces a performance 2 stroke any more i may agree.

As soon as you show me the 4t 250 racing class that spawns these bikes then I'll show you the bikes that come from it. It's a dumb comment to make, show me the litre 2t making 250HP in moto gp... Oh wait, you can't because IT DOESN'T EXIST. It could obviously be done, but no one does it as they don't race 2t anymore.

Power is always advancing... Why go for the Bugatti Veyron method of an 8.0 litre w16 quad turbo when a naturally aspirated 8.0 litre v8 can produce upwards of 1400 hp reliably for about $40,000? You say 'oh, a 4t will never make the same horsepower as a 2t' give it time because i am sure that it will happen one day.

BlackSheep
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:52 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Since when were strimmers and saws 125 cc? or 50 cc for that matter?

One of my saws was 100 cc and i have seen them much bigger .

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:55 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

so lilredmachine there is as yet no reason for me to give up my 2t 250. My argument stands.

acwman
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:57 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there any reason why you can't have a two stroke engine, but with with fuel injection

No real reason why the two strokes can't have fuel injection, apart from cost. Apparently, it could add another £800 ontop of the price of a new bike.

(and £800 ontop of a new mito price of £4000 is it too much to pay for a small bike!???)

In MCN this week it quotes that ' A sophisticated fuel injection system would allow the bike's current engine to pass the new emmisions tests..'

It even looks like the new 07 Cagiva Mito 125 maybe fitted with a four stroke to pass the upcoming emissions legislations! Confused
Bikes owned -Yamaha R1+akrapovic, Ducati 749S, Power Commander + Termi's,Buell XB12R - with race kit, GSXR600-K4 Titanium Scorpion end Can, ZXR400, RS125, Cagiva Mito, RS50, RG125, ER50, FS1E. https://www.bikepics.com/members/acwman/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:18 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsxrmick wrote:
so lilredmachine there is as yet no reason for me to give up my 2t 250. My argument stands.

There will never be a reason to give up your 2t 250, there is no doubt about it they are an experience to ride. It is just that one day, you may find yourself pulling equally with a 4t of a similar capacity. The small 4 strokes we run in model planes can pull 1.5 horsepower out of 13 cc so far, and it is increasing all the time, companies like YS are using fuel injection to get 5 horsepower out of tiny capacities... In this sector it is still true that 2 strokes offer more power, even if they are unable to swing as large props and have a flighty powerband.

DynaMight
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:20 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

About time, 2t's have been dead for meny years.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:42 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilredmachine wrote:
There is no physical reason for 4 stroke 125s to be less powerful than 2 strokes, it's money and development time that sucks the cash.

Err, there is. Twice the number of power strokes in the same time are a massive advantage, along with the large reduction in reciprocating parts.

Only reason 4 strokes are vaguely catching up is the lack of any serious development in 2 strokes for about 15 years.

You can have a 2 stroke using valves and they have been built. They are cleaner but you start to throw away the large cost advatages of a 2 stroke. You also screw up the combustion chamber shape by having valves in there.

The reason that there is no 1000cc 2 stroke Moto GP bike is because the rules will not allow it. The rules were rewritten to give the 4 strokes almost a 100% capacity advantage to make up for their lack of power. Road going 2 strokes of a decade ago have the same specific hp of a current Moto GP bike.

Not sure on the claim from Cagiva that it would add £800 to the cost of a bike fitting it with fuel injection. Many years ago there was an article in one of the bike magazines talking about fuel injection v carbs on bikes, and why bikes lagged behind cars in fitting it. Basic thrust was that the advantages of fuel injection were minimal on small high revving engines. However the cost figures given were that a bank of carbs cost ~£40 to the makers while the fuel injection was ~£150.

Direct fuel injection can be made to work, but is difficult to get to work on high revving bike engines. That should make 2 strokes cleaner than 4 strokes while also giving more power.

All the best

Keith

NC30UK
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:45 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look how much 4 stroke bikes have progressed over the past 30 years. in the 60's a CB750 made 60bhp, now bikes of lower capacity that that make double the power. Its only a matter of time untill new 4 strokes make more power than 2 strokes, probably alot less time than that before 4 strokes are faster bikes thanks to increased usability and computer aids. 2 strokes are still more fun though!

Honda RC165:

https://www.motorrad-bild.de/images_fotoarchiv/ba_marken/honda/klassiker/rc164/rc164_sbsl.jpg

250 cc 4 stroke in line 6 making just over 60bhp in the late 60's

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:45 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

DynaMight wrote:

Production wise maybe, but theres still a lot of people like me keeping them alive. Very Happy

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:47 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on Keith, you mean to tell me that that the new 800cc moto gp motors won't be producing the same power as the litre motors did in one year? That the New 2.4 F1 v8 won't be pushing 900HP within a season? You can't stop progress.

Obviously 4t have an initial disadvantage but it will eventually catch up, even if it is through forced induction.

DynaMight
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:52 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsxrmick wrote:
DynaMight wrote:

Production wise maybe, but theres still a lot of people like me keeping them alive. Very Happy

Yes but without new bikes being made, it's gonna be like the RD350 all over again. Totally outdated but people of that age will keep harping on about them being the best bike in the world.... 20 years ago.

Also on another note, Theres that Supercharged scooter with makes 21BHP, stick that in a sporty frame and I reckon the extra torque would give a standard 25-28BHP RS125 a run for it's money.

It's time to look forward not backwards.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:55 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

But exactly the same applies to the 2 strokes. Give the 4 stokes a couple of decades and they may get up to where the 2 stroke were 15 years ago.

The chances of the new 800cc MotoGP engines getting up to 300hp (pretty much where the 2 strokes were years ago in specific hp) is pretty remote.

You say you can't stop progress. You can. That is what the changes in the rules have done to 2 strokes, done to allow the 4 strokes such a massive capacity advantage that their performance has caught up.

All the best

Keith

fuzz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:01 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nath wrote:
Something I was thinking about the other night:

Is there any reason why you can't have a two stroke engine, but with with fuel injection and conventional inlet and exhaust poppet valves like on a four stroke? With sidevalves on opposite sides of the cylinder the mixture would not be immediately sucked out, and with the fuel injection forcing it in extra quick it should be possible to minimise the length of time that the valves need to be open simultaneously. With less mixture escaping with the exhaust gasses, and no oil being burnt, this would surely also create a less polluting two-stroke.

Or am I missing something pretty fundamental?

The piston travelling down the cyclinder creates the vacuum to draw in fresh mixture in a 4t. In a 2t, the piston forces stored fuel up into the cylinder, which forces out the exhaust gases. If a 2t had valves, both would need to be open at the same time, and there would be little vacuum effect to draw in fresh mixture (assuming he inlet port was larger).

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:02 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

DynaMight wrote:
Also on another note, Theres that Supercharged scooter with makes 21BHP, stick that in a sporty frame and I reckon the extra torque would give a standard 25-28BHP RS125 a run for it's money.

How come, as it would be down on power, rev more slowly and weigh far more and have less torque?

Problem is that much engine research is done aimed at cars. They use 4 stroke engine as they are not happy with the 50000 mile life they were getting from a direct injection 2 stroke (Orbital engines they tested in a fleet of Fiestas about a decade ago). 50000 miles is far longer than almost all bikes last so hardly and issue for us.

All the best

Keith

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:13 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
50000 miles is far longer than almost all bikes last so hardly and issue for us.

Specially if they are in RS 125s being ridden by idiot teenagers that throw them down the road.

Quote:

Think of it as a diesel, it's ok, reasonably quick, does a bit more to the gallon, has reasonable power low down. Will still be arsewhooped by a petrol (or a 2 stroke in this case).

Quote:
You say you can't stop progress. You can.

Bollux, even if it is some nutter in a shed, it will be done. Why do you performance tune a 1200 Bandit?

I remember on this forum a while ago an owner of a sidecar outfit sporting a CBR 125 motor that was clocked at 95 MPH two up, and they were bricking it because next season they were facing an MZ 125 4t motor that powered an outfit to a genuine 110 MPH. How much power do you reckon that was producing?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:33 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilredmachine wrote:
Specially if they are in RS 125s being ridden by idiot teenagers that throw them down the road.

Suspect the average life expectancy of a bike (2 stroke or 4 stroke) is 20k~30k.

lilredmachine wrote:
Bollux, even if it is some nutter in a shed, it will be done. Why do you performance tune a 1200 Bandit?

Takes a lot more than a bloke in a shed these days.

As to the Bandit I did it for fun. If I wanted power it would have been cheaper and more effective to sell the Bandit and buy a 'busa.

lilredmachine wrote:
I remember on this forum a while ago an owner of a sidecar outfit sporting a CBR 125 motor that was clocked at 95 MPH two up, and they were bricking it because next season they were facing an MZ 125 4t motor that powered an outfit to a genuine 110 MPH. How much power do you reckon that was producing?

Difficult to say as aerodynamics lay a massive part in it, and a racing side car is pretty good compared to a normal bike (which is dire). At a guess to get to 95 with the better aerodynamics (the weight is virtually irrelevant to top speed if you have enough space) would probably only need around 18hp.

Low 20s hp should be possible from a 4 stroke 125 road bike with a lot of effort, pretty much where the 2 strokes were 20 years ago.

All the best

Keith

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Difficult to say as aerodynamics lay a massive part in it, and a racing side car is pretty good compared to a normal bike (which is dire). At a guess to get to 95 with the better aerodynamics (the weight is virtually irrelevant to top speed if you have enough space) would probably only need around 18hp

Apart from the fact that the third wheel causes extra drag and rolling resistance, and that the wheels are shod with wide racing sticky slicks to add to the problem. I'm guessing maybe a bit more than that, the rear wheel is also likely to be a lot smaller in diameter so longer gearing will also be needed, especially to reach a decent top end, whilst still being practical for racing (in terms of acceleration) the motor will still need to be powerful.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:49 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Rolling resistance is important, but nothing compared to the aerodynamics. Given that 125 bikes get to a true 95ish with about 21hp, with better aerodynamics it should take substantially less power.

As long as the gearing matches the speed to where the power is produced it will be fairly irrelevant.

All the best

Keith

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe we aren't meshing on this... This is a racing outfit. It has to go round corners, accelerate out of turns, and reach a decent top speed. Perhaps I confused you by listing top whack only... They don't want
Quote:
substantially less power.
They want more, if it is possible, it is assumable that they have done it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 67 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4