Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bye bye 2 strokes!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One of my saws was 100 cc and i have seen them much bigger .

https://www.compfused.com/directlink/154/

Laughing

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:10 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilredmachine wrote:
They don't want
Quote:
substantially less power.
They want more, if it is possible, it is assumable that they have done it.

If they wanted more power then they would not be using a 4 stroke engine unless the rules insist on it, or provide a large handicap to 2 strokes.

For a rough comparison, from this US kart racer his 125 2 stroke kart has a 125mph top speed.

All the best

Keith

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:31 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For a rough comparison, from this US kart racer his 125 2 stroke kart has a 125mph top speed.

Your point being?

https://www.ringmini.de/English_Version/GSXR_Kart/gsxr_kart.html

This is a gixxer 1100 powered kart, which that bloke with the 2 stroke 125 kart would obviously want, if the rules allowed it Rolling Eyes

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:39 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilredmachine wrote:
Your point being?

https://www.ringmini.de/English_Version/GSXR_Kart/gsxr_kart.html

This is a gixxer 1100 powered kart, which that bloke with the 2 stroke 125 kart would obviously want, if the rules allowed it Rolling Eyes

You missed the point entirely. That Gixxer engine has almost 10 times the capacity. The 125 kart I mentioned has the same capacity as the CBR engined sidecar you mentioned. Should be close to the same rolling resistance and aerodynamics. Yet the 2 stroke has around a 30mph speed advantage (not surprising as it is one hell of a lot more powerful than the 4 stroke has any hope of being).

That a larger engined 4 stroke vehicle is more powerful is of no relevance when we are talking about the advantages of 2 strokes over 4 strokes. I could quite happily have found figures for 160mph+ 250cc karts.

All the best

Keith

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:55 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did we get onto karts? We were talking about a sidecar in a four stroke class that topped 110 MPH with an MZ 125 4t motor in it. I don't care that a lighter 2 stroke kart is 15 MPH faster (Weight does make a difference to top speed, lighter weight allows longer gearing to be run whilst still remaining competitive on acceleration)

I reckon the MZ motor in that sidecar is producing a decent amount of power. Thats all. If you want to get antsy over capacity, a tiny hydrogen peroxide rocket will produce 1500 HP, and they have been put into loads of karts.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 15:18 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Right, so now we get to the truth that the 125 side car class is limited to 4 strokes. If so that is why they are limited to the slower 4 strokes rather than the faster 2 stroke. So if "They want more, if it is possible, it is assumable that they have done it".

What is the point of using a class restricted to 4 strokes to try and show that they are better than 2 strokes?

The kart was merely mentioned as being something with a similar drag to the 4 stroke you mentioned but with massively more power due to its 2 stroke engine. Rather destroys your comment that "There is no physical reason for 4 stroke 125s to be less powerful than 2 strokes", especially when there has been one hell of a lot more development in 4 stroke engines than in 2 strokes.

All the best

Keith

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
restricted to 4 strokes to try and show that they are better than 2 strokes

Where do i try and prove that then Keith? As far as I can see, the only comment i have put in about anything being better than anything else was this:

Quote:
Also on another note, Theres that Supercharged scooter with makes 21BHP, stick that in a sporty frame and I reckon the extra torque would give a standard 25-28BHP RS125 a run for it's money.

Me:
Think of it as a diesel, it's ok, reasonably quick, does a bit more to the gallon, has reasonable power low down. Will still be arsewhooped by a petrol (or a 2 stroke in this case).

and that supports 2 strokes.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 15:29 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. You started out with the comments that there is no reason why 4 strokes should be less powerful (there are reasons). You have then gone one to try and show how powerful 4 strokes are with an example of a sidecar 4 stroke, which is pretty slow compared to a rough 2 stroke equivalent.

While development may make 4 strokes more powerful, they have got a hell of a long way to go to catch up with 2 strokes, and that is despite far more development resources having gone on the 4 strokes over the years.

Chances of a 30hp 125 4 stroke in a road bike is nil in any reasonable timeframe.

All the best

Keith

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:35 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
try and show that they are better than 2 strokes

Rolling Eyes

Nowhere did i say they are BETTER.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 15:43 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough, but you did try to say that they can be as good as 2 strokes for power which is a long way from the truth, when a good Moto GP 4 stroke engine requiring very regular rebuilds manages about the same specific horse power as a 2 stroke road bike.

Only way that 4 strokes come out OK in racing is because the rule books are (now) written to favour 4 strokes. When in the GPs the rules just specified the engine capacity nobody had bothered to race a 4 stroke since the early 80s when Honda tried and failed to compete with the hideously complicated but still slow NR500.

If they could get competitive power from a 4 stroke then they would have raced them.

All the best

Keith

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:43 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzz wrote:
The piston travelling down the cyclinder creates the vacuum to draw in fresh mixture in a 4t. In a 2t, the piston forces stored fuel up into the cylinder, which forces out the exhaust gases. If a 2t had valves, both would need to be open at the same time, and there would be little vacuum effect to draw in fresh mixture (assuming he inlet port was larger).

Except that you wouldn't need much vacuum to suck in fresh fuel, if it s being forced in by fuel injection. Imagine the potential if you supercharge it. The exhaust gasses are helped out by the rising cylinder displacing them. You would only need to have the inlet valve open a little bit longer than the exhaust valve in order get the mixture under high compression.

NC30UK wrote:
Look how much 4 stroke bikes have progressed over the past 30 years. in the 60's a CB750 made 60bhp, now bikes of lower capacity that that make double the power.

But the CB750 was not cutting edge technology for the time compared to race bikes. Looking in a book I have, the (four stroke)1957 Gilera 500c IL4 race bike put out 70bhp and was capable of 165mph! You own example: The RC165, a 250 putting out 60bhp and capable of 150mph. In 1961, the two stroke MZ125 race bike was producing 25bhp, which is the same amount as the road bikes of today, 40 years on. And Suzuki's 1967 125 two stroke racer made 42bhp.

The technology is not the problem, it's making it affordable so it can be used on roadbikes that it is the stumbling block. Clearly not a problem that worried the racebike designers of the 1960s. It is all about money really.

NC30UK
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:55 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

very true but i was compairing a mass production bike of the 60's (CB750) against something modern (sports 750). The modern 750 makes twice the power of something from the 60's. With 30 years of development bikes are making twice the power they used to, so give it another 20 years and 4 stroke bikes could be making more power per cc than current 2 strokes do.

But as keith rightly said, this is more as a result of the massive investment that goes into modern 4 stroke engine design and a complete lack of investment in 2 stroke design.

The RC165 refference was a response to gsxrmik saying:

Quote:
As soon as you show me a 4t 250 that makes 60-70bhp without a turbo i may agree but until then even though no one actually produces a performance 2 stroke any more i may agree.

Considering that was back in the 60's i'm sure a modern 6 cylinder 250 could be made to produce that kind of power, and with moderm materials, be alot more reliable than the RC165 was. but as people have allready said, the cost of the development of such a bike would not meet the demand for it.

fuzz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:58 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nath wrote:
Except that you wouldn't need much vacuum to suck in fresh fuel, if it s being forced in by fuel injection. Imagine the potential if you supercharge it. The exhaust gasses are helped out by the rising cylinder displacing them. You would only need to have the inlet valve open a little bit longer than the exhaust valve in order get the mixture under high compression.

Supercharging could make it work by forcing air in aswell. However as the piston rises it will be on compression stroke, so it would also be forcing out fresh fuel. The exhaust design does help stop this on 2 strokes but then when the piston decends, it will also be drawing in exhaust gases. The effect of porting on a 2 stroke forces the waste back out again.

There perhaps is a way, but I fail to see how.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 17:15 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzz wrote:
but then when the piston decends, it will also be drawing in exhaust gases. The effect of porting on a 2 stroke forces the waste back out again.

However it will also be "drawing in" the presurised air from the crankcases. Problem is how much of that will disappear straight down the exhaust complete with unburnt fuel.

All the best

Keith

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:18 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nath wrote:
Something I was thinking about the other night:

Is there any reason why you can't have a two stroke engine, but with with fuel injection and conventional inlet and exhaust poppet valves like on a four stroke? With sidevalves on opposite sides of the cylinder the mixture would not be immediately sucked out, and with the fuel injection forcing it in extra quick it should be possible to minimise the length of time that the valves need to be open simultaneously. With less mixture escaping with the exhaust gasses, and no oil being burnt, this would surely also create a less polluting two-stroke.

Or am I missing something pretty fundamental?

You would lose the compression effect of the expansion chamber if you started putting valves in. It draws fuel into the header, then forces it back in effectively supercharging the bike, which would probably make it as slow as a 4t iff you removed the expansion chamber.

Also, why put the effort into improving an old design to meet new emissions regs when a four-stroke will be easy enough to bung into a bike and pass the emissions regs. Honda did it with the cbr125, and i'll be damned if they sold more nsr125s than they have cbr125s.

Jack
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 17:33 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack_Cheese wrote:
Also, why put the effort into improving an old design to meet new emissions regs when a four-stroke will be easy enough to bung into a bike and pass the emissions regs. Honda did it with the cbr125, and i'll be damned if they sold more nsr125s than they have cbr125s.

The CBR sells because it looks like a sporty bike but is dirt cheap. Built down to the same levels the 2 strokes could easily compete. The 2 strokes were built down to that level until the late 80s, when Aprilia and the bike started building 125 more like larger bikes, and Honda and Yamaha followed. The orginal Aprilia AF1 cost about 50% more than the TZR125 that it was equivalent to, but the TZR was certainly designed to be produced cheaply with pressed steel where Aprilia had used nice die cast alloy parts.

Big advantage of the 2 strokes is that they can easily produce far more power than the learner limit, giving you the option of derestricting them. Suspect if the Mito gets a 4 stroke engine and so cannot easily double its power then sales will go through the floor (they claim to sell 3500 Mitos a year in Italy).

All the best

Keith

fuzz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
However it will also be "drawing in" the presurised air from the crankcases. Problem is how much of that will disappear straight down the exhaust complete with unburnt fuel.

I may have missed something but if valves were used, there wouldn't be air in the crankcase. With regard to it escaping, this is the point I was trying to make by having both valves open at the same time.

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

NC30UK wrote:
The RC165 refference was a response to gsxrmik saying:

Quote:
As soon as you show me a 4t 250 that makes 60-70bhp without a turbo i may agree but until then even though no one actually produces a performance 2 stroke any more i may agree.

Show me where i can get an RC165 for a grand, lol Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:56 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack_Cheese wrote:
which would probably make it as slow as a 4t iff you removed the expansion chamber.

Not really, as you still have more firing strokes. At the very least, you would be able to achieve the same power as on a four stroke, but without the need for high engine speeds.

fuzz wrote:
However as the piston rises it will be on compression stroke, so it would also be forcing out fresh fuel. The exhaust design does help stop this on 2 strokes but then when the piston decends, it will also be drawing in exhaust gases. The effect of porting on a 2 stroke forces the waste back out again.

Surely the problem with conventional two strokes is that the back pressure from the expansion chamber is only effective at certain engine speeds, so the rest of the time you are getting worse performance and poor economy.

The problem with the valved two stroke would be clearing the exhaust gasses and then closing the exhaust valve before the incoming mixture starts leaving as well. With modern technology and the amount of development that is done on gas flow, it should be possible to make this work, but perhaps the valve timing would have vary with engine speed, adding further complexity?

I was not really thinking about this as an answer to the disappearance of small two strokes. I was really thinking about the dominance of the four stroke engine in general. The large two strokes of the 1970s lost out on fuel economy. Is the the fact that you would need a sidevalve design the only thing that stopped the development of poppet-valved two strokes, Kickstart?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 18:25 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzz wrote:
I may have missed something but if valves were used, there wouldn't be air in the crankcase. With regard to it escaping, this is the point I was trying to make by having both valves open at the same time.

Without a supercharger I am not certain a 2 stroke would actually work without using the crankcases to pressurise the inlet mixture.

Even on a 4 stroke to get best power you have both valves open at the same time (ignoring forced induction engines) at some point. But at least with valves you can control when they are open and overlap the openings, rather than having one open for a subset of when the other is open.

Trouble with a 2 stroke is that the fuel air mix from the crankcases goes into the cylinder and a load goes down the exhaust port. When the revs are right the pressure waves in the exhaust will push that fresh mixture back into the cylinder after the transfer ports are closed. Problem comes when the pressure waves are not in sync with what is required so you just dump fresh mixture down the exhaust or ram burnt mixture into the engine.

However if you were not aiming to used a tuned exhaust (or, not tuned in this way) then you could happily open and close an exhaust valve when you wanted to. I know Lotus worked on such a 2 stroke engine many years ago (saw their prototype at a show once, based on a Rotax 2 stroke engine) but it controlled a valve in the exhaust (opened and closed on each stroke, not like a power valve). This would probably also work very well with forced induction (and might bring back the use of stepped pistons).

Nath, no sure why you would need a side valve engine, although I suppose you could run the cam within the crankcases and subject them to the inlet mixture.

All the best

Keith

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:14 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dare I bring up the subject of wet-sump 2-stroke twins with a 180 degree crank and transfer ports between the two cylinders which effectively do not need oil in with the fuel? (Didn't Ariel make one back in the 1950's?)

Yamaha currently make a V6 high pressure direct injection 2-stroke with a capacity of 3.3 litres producing 300hp. Unfortunately they are only fitted to outboard motors as yet. Had one on the boat we hired in Florida last year. An 18 foot boat with a fully planing hull and anything over half throttle would have flipped it.

LUXY DJ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:26 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

you seen how much these NEW! diesels spit out BLACK sortty smoke......(&this is a improvement Rolling Eyes )

fuzz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:46 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Yamaha currently make a V6 high pressure direct injection 2-stroke with a capacity of 3.3 litres producing 300hp. Unfortunately they are only fitted to outboard motors as yet. Had one on the boat we hired in Florida last year. An 18 foot boat with a fully planing hull and anything over half throttle would have flipped it.

How long would that engine last? I dare say it maybe why it's fitted to outboards.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:49 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another point worth dropping into the discussion is that race engine designs are not driven by what is fastest/most powerful. They introduce regulations to encourage development in the direction the manufacturers would like to see their road bikes go.

It was done back in the 70's when people were making ludicrous engines like a 4-valve per cylinder, 250cc inline six. The use of multiple, tiny pistons made for a very fast bike but had no chance of transferring to a saleable machine. So they brought in a minimum single cylinder capacity rule.

They did the same with 2-strokes, mainly by allowing the 4-stroke machines much more leeway on weight than the 2-smokes, effectively giving the 4-strokes an artificial advantage.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:53 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzz wrote:

How long would that engine last? I dare say it maybe why it's fitted to outboards.

Comes with a 2 year warranty. Nearly ALL the boats in the Florida Keys use massive yamaha 2-stroke outboards. If they were prone to breaking down, I doubt they would be so common, you certainly wouldn't be fitting them to your pleasure boat rental fleet.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 72 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4