Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bye bye 2 strokes!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fortuna
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:26 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 2 stroke 250 will produce more power than a 4 stroke 250 of equal research. This is due to the fact that the 2 stroke fires twice as many same CC's per revolution.
A 250 2 stroke twin is theoretically the same firing power as a 500 4 stroke 4 cylinder.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Nath, no sure why you would need a side valve engine, although I suppose you could run the cam within the crankcases and subject them to the inlet mixture.

If you have overhead valves, surely the fresh mixture would get sucked straight out through the exhaust valve, due to them being sat next to each other?

Fortuna
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:57 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting valves in a 2 stroke would make it even more inefficient.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:59 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nath wrote:
If you have overhead valves, surely the fresh mixture would get sucked straight out through the exhaust valve, due to them being sat next to each other?

Possibly, but the same happens with side valve engines.

I presume you mean some kind of set up with a valve on each side of the head.

All the best

Keith

Vin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:44 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awwee nuts I go away for a couple of days and miss a 4 v 2 stroke thread.
As far as I am concerned you can blah on about the relative merits of each but as a pound for pound good laugh 2 strokes rule. Oh and I love the smell.
Vin Mr. Green
P.S. Kickstart I am glad you mentioned the 2 stroke fiestas nobody I tell about that ever believes me. mmm a fiesta with spannies Very Happy

fuzz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:30 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Nath wrote:

Possibly, but the same happens with side valve engines.

I presume you mean some kind of set up with a valve on each side of the head.

All the best

Keith

Wouldn't that add to the complexity of the engine? That kind of defeats one of the advantages of the 2 stroke.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:57 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzz wrote:
Wouldn't that add to the complexity of the engine? That kind of defeats one of the advantages of the 2 stroke.

100% agree with you.

All the best

Keith

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:21 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting little motor:

https://www.siscom.net/~louisekramer/

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:53 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Interesting design. Suspect it would work rather better with more cylinders. Suspect that if you could get direct fuel injection working on it (should be easy with the revs he is talking about) then it could be simplified. But then it would be close to a conventional 2 stroke using a stepped piston (which would enable a 2 stroke to run on petrol, rather than petrol and oil), but with some extra drag from running a 2nd crank.

All the best

Keith

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:55 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly O/T

But you'd think a 2 stroke would be more reliable than a 4 due to the simplicity of the engine? Or is this countered by the fact it produces way more power and is not 'wet' like a 4 stroke?

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:57 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

More to do with the fact that it fires twice as often, so twice the wear.

fuzz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:08 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valve timing is a problem with 2 strokes. Disc valves over reed valves offer more scope for induction, but the exhaust port is timed by the piston. Even power valves cant solve that.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:09 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

More heat to get rid of, but main problem is the poor lubrication bits will received, along with extra ring wear from having to go over gaping ports.

All the best

Keith

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:12 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzz wrote:
Valve timing is a problem with 2 strokes. Disc valves over reed valves offer more scope for induction, but the exhaust port is timed by the piston. Even power valves cant solve that.

No, but that Lotus experimental 2 stroke engine could.

All the best

Keith

fuzz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:13 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the one with camless valves?

Just found this while searching for the above:

Quote:
A turbocharged car engine with electronically activated intake and exhaust valves, that can switch from 4 stroke cycle to 2 stroke cycle when the turbocharger is providing boost, thereby nearly doubling the power output.

The engine would operate as a normal 4 stroke at low throttle settings. At higher throttle settings, when the turbo is producing enough boost to scavenge the cylinders with both the intake and exhaust valves open simultaneously, the engine would operate as a two stroke (I believe this is how a turbo 2 stroke diesel locomotive works, but it uses an auxiliary compressor for starting). Apparently electronic valving is now being produced by some auto manufacturers. This allows the separate throttle valve to be done away with, along with the associated turbulence losses and extra boost lag it introduces. Also, direct injection into the combustion chamber could be used to prevent unburned fuel from being swept out the exhaust when 2-stroking, thereby reducing the emmisions normally associated with 2 strokes. For further improvement a Comprex pressure wave supercharger could be used instead of a turbo, allowing increased boost at low engine speeds.

So maybe the 2 stroke isn't dead and buried after all.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:32 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The Lotus 2 stroke engine they developed (quite a few years ago now) was not turbocharged, but used a machanically operated valve on the exhaust port to time it more indepenently of the piston position.

All the best

Keith

fuzz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:35 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered whether you meant this https://waw.wardsauto.com/ar/auto_look_ma_no_4/index.htm but now I think it only applies to 4 strokes Embarassed

Fortuna
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:44 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

More heat to get rid of, but main problem is the poor lubrication bits will received, along with extra ring wear from having to go over gaping ports.

All the best

Keith

My KR-1S died a spectacular death this way. The pin that keeps the rings in place came out (a fault on these bikes) and the ring moved round while I was giving it some. It hit the exhaust port and absolutely wrecked the piston and barrel. It was poor design that made the pin fall out but heat and lubrication issues start it off.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:46 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Well, that would work for such a valve on a 2 stroke.

The could be fun. Mix in these virtually infinitly variable valve timing options, stick on the Saab system which allows variable compression ratios, one of the systems giving a variable inlet tract length (MV have such a system) and then all you need is some way to alter the exhaust length (Ferrari are already partly there). Power all over the place.

All the best

Keith

bish777
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:56 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Dare I bring up the subject of wet-sump 2-stroke twins with a 180 degree crank and transfer ports between the two cylinders which effectively do not need oil in with the fuel? (Didn't Ariel make one back in the 1950's?)

Look at diesel 2 strokes in lorries and trains, they run a low pressure supercharger to blow mixture into a conventional two stroke inlet port, then the exhaust escapes from poppet valves in the top.

With enough developement this probably could be scaled down into a small petrol engine (or diesel for that matter).

You could have a 2 stroke engine making the same power as a equivelent 4 stroke in capacity at much lower RPM, thus reducing wear ( a la MZ, stinkwheel!) or have high rpm and alot of poke.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:22 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah no. This one was wierd, paralell twin with 180 degree crank. Instead of the fuel going from under the piston then through the transfer port to land up above the piston, the induction was under one piston in the traditional way then as it went down it forced the fuel through a transfer port into the opposite combustion chamber.

Picture may explain it better (only shows one 'half' of the porting).

NSR-Rulez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that everythings a bit odd here, as to learn on a bike you are restricted to a certain bhp, or power to weight ratio, so all the fazing out of 2t bikes will end up in more people going out and buying bigger bikes.

And whats stopping people from buying old 2t machines when they are stopped being made, absolutly nothing unless the law changes.

NSR-Rulez
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

AnaalBleacher
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:47 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of all of you anit 2 stroke how many of you have ridden an Rs125 or Mito or Kr1s or even the RD's???
You cant beat the fun of them...especially when ive been out cornering johnny fireblade on my Rs125 tut tut
2 strokes just need a little more TLC than 4 strokes I have found but then thats half the fun!

Chiz
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:48 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this months bike magazine, that has a 2 Vs 4 Stroke article. I read somewhere else that a 2 stroke car was built recently by some EU people. Basically a 4 stroke bottom end with 2 stroke top end and direct injection. Very clean, very powerful for size.

Personally: I like the idea of 2 strokes, power:cc and being a bit different from everybody else but the reality is a bit different. I have to warm my bike up for at least 5 mins before i can go anwhere while my mate on his bandit sits their waiting. Plus good 2 stroke oil costs a bomb. When i pass my test (March 3rd) i'll get a 4 stroke, im bored of waiting for my bike to warm up...

NSR-Rulez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Out of all of you anit 2 stroke how many of you have ridden an Rs125 or Mito or Kr1s or even the RD's???

I own a 2t (Honda NSR 125) bike and a 4t (Suzuki GS 125) bike, i agree the NSR is more fun, but i also enjoy the GS, its an easy ride.

Quote:
Check out this months bike magazine, that has a 2 Vs 4 Stroke article. I read somewhere else that a 2 stroke car was built recently by some EU people. Basically a 4 stroke bottom end with 2 stroke top end and direct injection. Very clean, very powerful for size.

I've read that was an interesting bit of reading, its a shame that it would be expensive to put into production.

NSR-Rulez
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 61 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4