Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Shares

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Going2fast
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:27 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Shares Reply with quote

Hey all,
Just sitting here at work and as i believe we all do thinking of ways to invest and create some money for ourselves.

So Shares?
Anyone do this themselves, or use a stockbroker?
Just started looking into this.

Or is there any other good money investment ways out there?

Cheers,
Andy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RiderOfTheSto...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:52 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poker! Destiny in your own hands.

innominate
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:55 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a share save thing in my work.

Basically a set amount comes out of your wages at the PAYE stage and go's into a Tax Free savings account. At the end of the saving period you get the chance to use the saving to buy Tax Free shares at a discounted rate.

I am 9 months in & the shares have already doubled in value over the offer price. So I should get a decent amount back in a couple of years when cashing in.

One thing
how do dividends work?
I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the customs agent. I am the coast-guard. I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable.

RiderOfTheSto...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:58 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dividends - https://invest-faq.com/articles/stock-dividends.html

getyerkneedow...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:01 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: Shares Reply with quote

Going2fast wrote:
Hey all,
Just sitting here at work and as i believe we all do thinking of ways to invest and create some money for ourselves.

So Shares?
Anyone do this themselves, or use a stockbroker?
Just started looking into this.

Or is there any other good money investment ways out there?

Cheers,
Andy

They are a good way to make money, its also a brilliant way to lose even more.

Shares are a medium to long term investment. by which, i mean 25-30 years before you can expect to see any real return on the investment.

You have two ways in which to go about it, you touched on them already.

These are to buy your own and manage your own portfolio, for this you need to go through a stock broker, who can buy the shares, and give you the share certificates etc. You then manage your own portfolio based on your interpritation of the financial markets, and what information you can glean from the FTSE and Financial Times.

Unless you are very well versed at this, its a big big gamble, and will most likely end in you losing most, if not all, of your investments. Also, remember, each time you buy and sell shares, there is a %age which goes to your broker as a handling fee.

The second option is to look at investment products which are available from most high street banks. ISA's, OEICs (Open Ended Investment Companies) which replaced the old Unit Trusts etc.

Most of these are "unit linked" which means that your money forms part of a mass managed portfolio, which is handled by experts from the banks. Minimum investments start from £50 per month and go up to £thousands. I can not advise you on the most suitable for your situation - the best thing to do is to consult a Financial Advisor - either a PFA (from a bank) or IFA (take a look in yellow pages for your local one).

It should be noted though, that either which way you go about investing in stocks, shares, secuities etc - the small print will always read:

"your investment can fluctuate in value, it can go up as well as down - you are not guarenteed to get back what you put in".

Thumbs Up

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 15:04 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did fairly well from tax free ISAs (you can buy a maximum of £3000 worth a year) and Goverment savings bonds (which are also tax free).

Looked into stocks at the time of investment but generally found them to be too risky.

The larger the risk you take the higher the possible returns will be - HOWEVER you have got the risk of loosing everything.
The safer the option - like the government bonds, the lower the return, but it is guarenteed that you will make money on your investment and that you will not lose your initial investment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

getyerkneedow...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:08 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:
I did fairly well from tax free ISAs (you can buy a maximum of £3000 worth a year) and Goverment savings bonds (which are also tax free).

Looked into stocks at the time of investment but generally found them to be too risky.

The larger the risk you take the higher the possible returns will be - HOWEVER you have got the risk of loosing everything.
The safer the option - like the government bonds, the lower the return, but it is guarenteed that you will make money on your investment and that you will not lose your initial investment.

Not always the case on lower risk investments. UNLESS it specifically states that your initial investment is secured, you can ALWAYS lose your investment.

Also, ISA's come in two forms. Mini and Maxi ISAs.

The ISA you refer to above is the Mini ISA. Probably a Mini CASH ISA. This is where you can pay up to £3000 per fiscal year tax free. If you pay in 3000, pull out 2000, you cant then re-invest that 2000 until the next fiscal year.

Maxi ISAs allow you to have up to £3000 cash tax free, then a mixture of stocks and shares making up the remaining 4000, or you can have up to 7000 in tax free cash.

Again though, once you've reached the subscription level, you are unable to pull money out and then re-invest it in any one fiscal year.

Fiscal years fun from 5th April to 4th April.

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 15:30 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ISAs were mini cash ISAs, but fixed for three years.

If I withdrew funds before the end of the three years I wouldn't gain any interest on the investment.
However, because I left them for four years I was guarenteed base rate + a fixed percentage (and I can't remember what it was!)

I spent a long time researching the different products available and went for the safest options purely for personal reasons I couldn't have risked the funds.

They were through the Staffordshire Building Society (as it was then).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RiderOfTheSto...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:32 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on how much you want to invest and over how long a period, how much your are looking to make and how much you are willing to lose? You need to know all those things before you decide what the best investment for you is.

getyerkneedow...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:38 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:
The ISAs were mini cash ISAs, but fixed for three years.

If I withdrew funds before the end of the three years I wouldn't gain any interest on the investment.
However, because I left them for four years I was guarenteed base rate + a fixed percentage (and I can't remember what it was!)

I spent a long time researching the different products available and went for the safest options purely for personal reasons I couldn't have risked the funds.

They were through the Staffordshire Building Society (as it was then).

Yes, ISAs a are a great way of saving and getting some kind of ROI on it. They are, CASH ISA's at least, totally risk free - you can always get out what you pay in. I have a basic CASH ISA with natiowide, not sure of the rate, i basically pay cash into their when i have come spare - i forget about it.. useful for when something happens - car breaks down etc. But i dont view it as my investment, its more of a Savings account for me.

Stocks and Shares are a medium to long term investment. If you dont want to have your money tied up for 25-30 years - shares wont work. Thumbs Up

Sparky
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:52 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

or quicker Save £1500 find your nearest Roulette table bang it on red or black!

you win you get £3000 instant

you lose, so be it, start saving again......
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

greatmoorred
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:09 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i stuck a load in a share isa and its doing alright. Thumbs Up

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:18 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do it all through my bank, well okay I let my bank do it all for me. Smile

Far easier than having to manage it all out myself, they do charge a 1% PA management fee but thats money well spent IMO.

Going2fast
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the useful information guys n gals.
Guess really its a case of looking into things.

I just (like many) want to put some money aside and make something from it. Pref big but more money is more than u started with.

Forget where, or ive dreamt it a place/person who you give your money to and they do all the shares etc, buying selling each day. Obv they get there cut u get yours. Thought about this, if im not talking from dreams.

Andy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 19:18 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

shares are only really a good idea if you have lots of moeny and are willing to do research

would be a good idea to read company reports and understand financial ratios such as 'gearing' which give you an idea of what state the company is in. a bit like looking at the spec sheet of a bike, it gives you more of an idea than just on what it looks like.

I learnt some of this at uni but have forgotten almost all of it.

Paivi
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:29 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: Shares Reply with quote

getyerkneedown wrote:
They are a good way to make money, its also a brilliant way to lose even more.

Generally speaking, share markets in the UK and the US tend to be fairly steady. As long as you do your homework and don't put all your eggs in the same basket, a civilian could make small to medium gains, not so much from divis but from capital gains. The motto should be 'icecreams and umbrellas', i.e., get shares in various sectors so when one goes down, the other would go up: ice cream sales go up in the summer and umbrella sales down, but come winter, it's the opposite.

getyerkneedown wrote:
Shares are a medium to long term investment. by which, i mean 25-30 years before you can expect to see any real return on the investment.

No, they're not. If you're after a long term investment, you go for entirely different schemes. Most people today use shares for 'educated speculation', i.e., buy a basket of shares (perhaps tracking the FTSE) and sell once the value rises by more than the commission payable or if the dynamics of the index change. You can even automate this by authorising the broker to do this on your behalf (effectively, your version of program trading).

getyerkneedown wrote:
You then manage your own portfolio based on your interpritation of the financial markets, and what information you can glean from the FTSE and Financial Times.

It's already too late, as any info you read in the FT would have filtered into the markets already and prices would reflect this. You'll need access to Reuters and Bloomberg for realtime info, although again, the traders might have anticipated the event already. If an announcement is due, the traders would have made a very educated guess on the contents/figures given therein and have reflected this in the price. Once the results are out, the price is then adjusted. This is why, sometimes when a company makes record profits, the share price actually goes down: traders expected even higher profits and raised the price accordingly. As the results were, for them disappointing, they duly reduced their quotes.

To a certain extent, there's little point in reading company financial statements, as they're published several months after the year-end and the gearing and any other relevant ratios would have changed. There's still some scope for manipulation of figures in the financial statements, so they should be taken with a big pinch of salt. Any accountant worth his/her qualification will answer 'how much do you want it to be' when asked how much 1+1 is. I fudge figures daily and can easily hide any such fudges from any auditor. I used to be one so I know exactly how to do it, and not get caught.

If you're after a safe investment, go for gilts (UK treasury bonds), as they're as safe as houses. UK govt cannot default on a bond, as it would lead to a credit rating cut. There's no need to default either, as all the Treasury would have to do is print more money to pay the bond holders. OK, so it'd lead to inflation, but I'll cover that in Economics 101, not in Investment Banking 101. All other bonds (apart from those issued by other major & Western governments) carry some level of risk. If, however, you want a high return and don't mind a bit of risk, go for Emerging Markets bonds & shares.

I need to get out more...

Going2fast
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:04 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: Shares Reply with quote

Paivi wrote:
I need to get out more...

May i be there first to Clapping
That was a great post Very Happy Thumbs Up

Going to have a look into Emerging Markets bonds & shares, Dont mind that bit of a risk as the money im using would be what ive put away for this project if you want to call it that.

Andy

kal9001
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:36 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHatare the average rates for Isa's? i have one with...a&l but i dont know how much the interest is...i didnt set it up.
if i end up with 3k in there wa year at theend of one year...do i get 4k back? or is it something crap like 3100 lol...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 100 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1