Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Are you the marketing man's slave (bit of a rant really)?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:24 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Are you the marketing man's slave (bit of a rant really)? Reply with quote

In Siggi's absence I thought I'd have a go at sticking it to the man!

Anyways, going on from the thread about the new FCUK advert (which gets a Thumbs Down from me), it got me thinking. I'm a grumpy old man when it comes to adverts, I'm always thinking 'Does that really make people want to go and buy that product'

Thing is, it must work or else they wouldn't bother spending copious amounts of money on them.

- Are you always after the newest, sexiest looking fashion. I'm talking this seasons hottest items e.g. not just clothes but phones etc.?
- Are you male and have recently bought hair straighteners?
- Do you like bling?
- Do you look at car adverts and think 'I wish I could have one of them'
- Did you feel that, by buying your partner a really expensive present on Valentine's, it'd mean you're a really good boyfriend/girlfriend?

- Is your destiny to be (I'm my humble opinion) a media sucker aka being told what to buy...when you income rises you'll just go out and buy the next level up of products?

- Or am I talking rubbish, are you mearly making an informed decision based on objectively looking at adverts, spending your own money on what you want or maybe even need?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:28 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: Are you the marketing man's slave (bit of a rant really) Reply with quote

byke95 wrote:
- Are you male and have recently bought hair straighteners?

Yes, *but* my hair is fairly long (I haven't cut it for close to five years) and also very frizzy.

I had been considering trying hair straighteners for a long time, but only bought these when they were being sold very cheap in the staff shop at work (due to having no box). I do not watch television or read magazines, so I don't think this is down to clever advertising campaigns.

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:30 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word of mouth is what makes me buy things to be honest.

Anything I buy, I tend to check reviews beforehand. I don't jsut see an ad and think "I want it". As for fashion, not really applicable to me. Wink

Aprilia18 is what you might call a sucker after buying clothes worn by pop stars. Laughing

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 18:40 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally just buy what i want regardless, i do hate tv adverts though they are on every 5 minutes and always sex orientated which is pretty silly, like that advert for herbal essence. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 18:49 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Probably do get suckered in to buying thing occasionally that are advertised, but generally tend to ignore advertising (or possibly worse for them, think "if they need to hype it that much it must be rubbish").

Tend to view brand names as being a way to charge more for a poor quality product (so brand names tend to have more negative effect than positive effect).

All the best

Keith

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 19:29 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just listening to the radio and they had the head of design on topman saying how more men are taking an interest in their appearance and how this is a good thing. Saying its going the way womens fashion has been for years.

DJ and topman bloke were then pushing the idea that hip trendy blokes shd be going clothes shopping once a week !

Fuck that.

My ex was into recreational shopping and spent thousands on clothes and shoes some of which never got worn.

Its like buying stuff to give you an identity. I am what I buy.

I am a bit guilty of this as I dont really need a motorbike, but I could always sell one or two and get some money back.

On the one hand ads and marketing persuade us to get things we dont need, but on the other hand theres not much point dying with fun in the bank. If ads and marketing can guide me to good stuff to spend my money on, great.

I dont like it if it gets me to buy stuff that isnt that good and makes me feel good about it. If I cant tell the difference between a cheap product or an expensive one, or I dont think its worth the extra, I wont buy it.

My clothes havnt worn out yet so why shd I buy new ones unless I need to impress people ? Do I really need to impress people ?

Maybe I do...

zaknafien

PostPosted: 19:48 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: Are you the marketing man's slave (bit of a rant really) Reply with quote

No to them all.

I love laughing at the people that do though. Laughing

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:40 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to avoid products advertised on TV. I certainly don't buy a product because it was in an advert.

I do own advertised products, but its kinda hard not to these days! Laughing

Villers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

So your rant is that the advertisers are doing a good job? I dont understand exactly whats pissed you off Confused

Im a normal bloke, I open FHM every week and look at the 'fashion pages' and think fuck off I would never wear that. I dont do shopping for the sake of it, I work too hard for my cash.

Maybe some clarity is required, many people buy GSXR's - theres a very popular advert for them, does that make them media slaves?

Quote:
Do you look at car adverts and think 'I wish I could have one of them'

So to desire a car you probably cant afford is wrong?

Quote:
Is your destiny to be (I'm my humble opinion) a media sucker aka being told what to buy...when you income rises you'll just go out and buy the next level up of products?

If people like something they see then whats wrong with buying it? People work for their money - its their choice.

Quote:
Are you male and have recently bought hair straighteners?

I dont own a pair of hair straighteners but my 19 year old hairdresser (who is absolutely gorgeous) reccomends I do, if its a choice between being attractive to women or be a 'slave' then Im sure I know my options there.

Just confused at who your generalised post is aimed at.

Wink

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:33 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Villers wrote:
I open FHM every week

Owned.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 76 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1