Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New Solution to Teenage Trouble?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: New Solution to Teenage Trouble? Reply with quote

I heard about this on the radio today, thought I'd google it as i wasn't sure whether it was a wind-up.

Quote:

Alarm to send street yobs fleeing
Teenage trouble-makers are set to be run out of town by an alarm which sends out a sound only they can hear.
Middlesbrough Council is drawing up the plans to pilot the "mosquito" units outside shops where teenagers congregate and cause trouble.

It works by sending out an ear-piercing noise which is only clearly audible to people aged under 20.

The product has been developed by Compound Security Systems in Wales and has been used successfully there.

The box, placed on the outside wall of a shop, emits an 80-decibel pulsing frequency between certain hours.

The device is currently being used in a Spar shop in Barry, Wales.

The shop's manager Robert Gough said: "Within days of having it fitted, the crowds of youths we were used to getting disappeared and they haven't been back since.

"It is more of an irritant than anything else - the longer you stay there, the more irritating it becomes.

"If you are walking past and there for a short period of time, it will not have much effect.

"It is on a timer and we set it for when we usually get the problems."

Councillor Barry Coppinger, the executive for law and order for Middlesbrough Council, said: "We had seen some research and it seemed to be worth a try.

"We have a problem with anti-social behaviour and so we thought we would acquire one unit to divert people from anti-social behaviour.

"It would need to be used sparingly and in a controlled way."

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tees/4594094.stm

What do you reckon? Good or bad idea?

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek

PostPosted: 21:26 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool. Thumbs Up Cool

Deafen a few chavs, how can it be bad ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about those of us who are under 20 and just want to go into the shop? or walk past without the dog going spastic and running infront of traffic..leading to a huge bill for vets and damage to cars...

sounds like crap to me, like the 'brown noise'

simple

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:04 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The box, placed on the outside wall of a shop, emits an 80-decibel pulsing frequency between certain hours.

The Antisocial Behaviour (Scotland) Act 2004 wrote:

# In any case where the underlying level of noise exceeds 21dB, 27dB and 31dB for night, evening and day time noise control periods respectively, the permitted level shall be 10dB in excess of that underlying level.
# If it is established has been established that the permitted noise level has been exceeded and the warning notice has been served any person who is responsible for the noise can be served with a fixed penalty notice (FPN).

Source: https://www.scotland.gov.uk/library5/social/asbn-04.asp#5

So, in Scotland at least, a teenager would be able to make a complaint to the council about said device, which clearly exceeds the acceptable level of noise nuiscance. Upon measuring the noise, the person who fitted the device should be issued a warning notice. If it persists they are liable to a fine and confiscation of the equipment.

Even if the council officials can't hear the noise, it should be detectable with their measuring equipment.

Or is this a case of there being one law for those under 20 and another law for everybody else?

plugger147
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple wrote:
What about those of us who are under 20 and just want to go into the shop? or walk past without the dog going spastic and running infront of traffic..leading to a huge bill for vets and damage to cars...

If it was used correctly then they would only have to switch it on when the got a gang of yobs hanging around outside the shop, but then where are they going to go???

Deterent's are only going to move the problem elsewhere, what's really needed is for people to teach their kids some fucking respect for others.

R4nger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What next? A teenager ray gun? Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 00:50 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds a bit like a police state where any gathering of people not in a fee charging establishment are trouble makers

near me there is a pub beer garden near a park

in the park are notices saying anyone drinking alcohol can be fined

if you pay a bit more for your alcohol in the pub and sit in the beer garden you are ok apparently

ok some kids hanging out on the streets may be up to no good, but i think its good to be outside with friends

when i was a kid, there were always other kids playing outside, now it seems all the parents keep them at home except on the rougher estates

i think people shd stop feeling threatened by groups of boisterous teenagers

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 01:04 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just use hand grenades...lots and lots of hand grenades.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WR450_geezer
Nobody likes me

PostPosted: 01:22 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

All its going to do is displace the anti social youths. What a waste of money. So instead of 'hanging' around the shops where they are clearly visable they will be 'hanging' around alleyways, anywhere else. Its not going to stop the problem at all. It will also create a new crime as the machine that creates the noise is obviously going to get vandalised.

WR

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:51 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Utter bollocks.. Laughing theres no reason anyone under 20 would be able to hear any sound frequancys different to any other age (other than somebody with hearing damage), unless for some reason teenagers have the same hearing range as dogs, cats or any other animal..

Anyone stupid enough to believe it deserves to have their £500 taken off them

WR450_geezer
Nobody likes me

PostPosted: 01:54 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr.z wrote:
Utter bollocks.. Laughing theres no reason anyone under 20 would be able to hear any sound frequancys different to any other age (other than somebody with hearing damage), unless for some reason teenagers have the same hearing range as dogs, cats or any other animal..

Anyone stupid enough to believe it deserves to have their £500 taken off them

Was stood next to an anti-cat alarm when I was 18, I was with my Dad, and a 70 year old. I could fcking hear it and it was horrible. Felt like someone stabbing my ear drums. My dad and the old guy didn't hear a thing. The theory works but as a anti social behaviour deterrent its a load of BS.

WR

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:58 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not Mr Z they played it on the radio whilst I was listening to it. I certainly couldn't hear anything but they had a couple of teenagers in the studio who said they could.

Apparently pretty much everybody's hearing degnerates by a minimum amount per year, so once you get to over 20 your hearing is unlikely to pick this sound up and that's what he based his calculations on.

It doesn't make dogs go mental either, the guy who invented it said each time he played it to his dog the dog just pricked his ears up when it started, had a look around then went back to sleep.

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:11 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that would also include any small children? allways bloody 6 yearolds causeing argy bargy arround here, bastards..

If its actually true (produceing a sound over a radio wont really mean anything if your radio wont reproduce the frequencys) little shits like this would take it as an excuse to start launching bricks through the window of the shop, so its pretty stupid...

Intersting idea, but they should be dealing with these problems propperly, if they just bugger off to another shop, or outside somebodys house..

Its give me an idea tho (begins designing of burbery ear defenders)

Mantzy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 03:02 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listened to the same show...Radio 2 huh? First time they played it I heard nothing, second time, i turned it up and heard it. Problem I think is that I'm 24 and heard it, and I work with loud machines on a daily occurence so my hearing, even though i wear ear defenders, will be slightly damaged. I'm hoping that in real life i'd not hear these sounds. They're f'ing awful.

R

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 06:01 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

not many shops are gonna have a noisy thing outside that puts people off coming near it

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:14 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea does seem floored.

Another example of how the government can only react to events, never plan for them. I really don't understand why they don't look at the socio-economic reasons behind this kind of 'teenage' behaviour.

Prevention is a word they don't seem to understand (unless it involves the immediate saving money).

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:22 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

babyyam wrote:

It doesn't make dogs go mental either, the guy who invented it said each time he played it to his dog the dog just pricked his ears up when it started, had a look around then went back to sleep.

that's because its his dog, it trusts him, my dogs do the same when shown any cat 'deterrent' or similar, they just look at you.

I'd invite him to take it to a dog rescue place where there are hundreds of dogs that don't know him and see what the result is...

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 09:49 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should have paintball gun implacements, if the detector sees a tracksuit or burberry they get shot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:10 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLINWALL wrote:
i think people shd stop feeling threatened by groups of boisterous teenagers

Maybe the first step towards this would be to stop these groups threatening people?

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes

PostPosted: 14:20 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Maybe the first step towards this would be to stop these groups threatening people?

Depends what you class as threatening behaviour to be honest. A few years back when i used to "hang round" on the park with a large group of my mates the only fights we ever got into were with other lads of the same age from a different area. No one ever mouthed off to say a couple of people that happened to be walking by at the time.
Now if i happen to walk past that park on a friday night, i'll almost definately see about 20-30 teenagers all drinking/smoking etc. and generally being loud (doing exactly what we were 5 years ago), i could walk straight through the middle of them without one saying a thing to me, and as you know G i'm not big or scary at all (infact quite the opposite) Just because the group is being loud and theres a lot of them it doesn't mean they are after kicking someones head in.

Unless here we are talking large groups of 19 year olds all coked up on a friday night in town who /are/ actually looking for a fight. Question

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:35 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not my experience of most such teenagers.

Now, it's not like I really get many problems these days - as you've seen me - skin head, a tad under 6ft and fairly well built means I'm not the sort that people tend to target.

However I've seen enough of cases where groups of 14/15 year olds will happily shout at anyone that doesn't look like they'll beat them up too badly for it. Never mind knowing about plenty of cases of people actually being physically abused, robbed, etc.

Maybe it's not the case for your friends, but I'm sure it is the case for plenty of other areas.

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes

PostPosted: 14:39 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Not my experience of most such teenagers.

Now, it's not like I really get many problems these days - as you've seen me - skin head, a tad under 6ft and fairly well built means I'm not the sort that people tend to target.

However I've seen enough of cases where groups of 14/15 year olds will happily shout at anyone that doesn't look like they'll beat them up too badly for it. Never mind knowing about plenty of cases of people actually being physically abused, robbed, etc.

Maybe it's not the case for your friends, but I'm sure it is the case for plenty of other areas.

Hmm, i see what you mean, thinking about it i can probably think of a couple of areas where there are people like that.

Although when my bike was broke, i had to walk 3 miles to work and through some quite rough areas and nothing ever came of it.

Maybe stoke on trent is posher than you think. Laughing

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:08 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jo,

Heard about this a while ago...

I like the way everyone laughs about it (Like they did when I saw it on TV)... However if someone made a device that'd repel gay/black/blue/pink/purple/furries then there'd be murder.

Middle Finger Middle Finger

SoND
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:23 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple wrote:

sounds like crap to me, like the 'brown noise'

simple

Now if they actually found the brown noise that would be a hillarious way to get rid of the chav scum.

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 17:18 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was on the Gadget show (with my cousin Susi... Wink ) a few weeks ago.

They played the noise and I could hear it and had to retreat upstairs, and the two old boys who were enjoying the delights of dearest Susi with me couldn't hear a thing.

It's an horrendous noise for the people who can hear it. I imagine it would work. However, for babies and toddlers strapped to their deafening mothers it would be painful.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 94 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2