Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Speed Up Your PC

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 23:09 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Speed Up Your PC Reply with quote

Pretty bored so thought i would post this little tip, alot of peoples computers i have come across take forever to load when your turn them on. This is usually because of excessive startup programs appearing in the bottom right corner of your pc (system tray)

This little trick will stop alot of those programs (99% of them are useless) and make your pc start up and run quicker.

Click Start

Run

Type in the command box msconfig

Then click on the tab startup.

It should now look like this except all of the boxes will be ticked.

https://img122.imageshack.us/img122/664/untitledtest1wo.jpg

Scroll down them all and untick every single one except your antivirus, spyware program or firewall if you use them.

You can find out what each program is either by the command name or look at the file extension in the location.

For example top line of mine is qttask. Command name is c:\programfiles\QUICKTIME

This means the apple quick time player.

Once you have unticked all of them press ok and restart your pc, you should hopefully see a improvement on the startup speed.

Don't worry about what you untick you can easily retick it when your pc has loaded back up. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:20 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone wants gold again.... Laughing Laughing

divuk83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:26 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't work in 2k. Doesn't matter as mine starts up quickly anyway. XP starts up slower than 2k anyway as there is more crap to load.

My top tip for improving startup speed; don't intall tons of crap on your PC!

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 23:28 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows 2000 is so 6 years ago. Razz

I always see people with like 50 icons in the system tray and their pc's crawl. Should be nice and neat like mine. Smile Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd start with a spyware scan / hijack this as that blank line doesnt look too clever. Laughing

m99dws
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:31 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Windows 98 Thumbs Up

divuk83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

markcatate wrote:

Windows XP is just 2k idiots edition. Its hides all the options from you and does things without even asking. I used it for a few months before removing it ang going back to 2k. I will continue to use 2k till Mr Gates can come up with something better.

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

markcatate wrote:

I always see people with like 50 icons in the system tray and their pc's crawl. Should be nice and neat like mine. Smile Thumbs Up

Maybe, but it is the most stable operating system microsoft has ever launched and is probably used on over 90% of business pc's.

Also congratulations on not having any anti-virus software. Laughing

m99dws
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:34 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: Speed Up Your PC Reply with quote

markcatate wrote:
untick every single one except your antivirus, spyware program or firewall if you use them.

With a reasonable PC, most applications take fraction of seconds to load. Seems like you are being a little over cautious.

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 23:42 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsxrmick wrote:

Have 3 pc's and 2 laptops at home that dont run antivirus and never had a problem, spyware scan once a week, keep up to date with the updates and use windows firewall. Haven't had a virus since i can remember.

Schedule scans once a week on all machines. Thumbs Up

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 23:42 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsxrmick wrote:

Have 3 pc's and 2 laptops at home that dont run antivirus and never had a problem, spyware scan once a week, keep up to date with the updates and use windows firewall. Haven't had a virus since i can remember.

m99dws
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:45 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

markcatate wrote:
Haven't had a virus since i can remember.

How would you know if you had no way to detect them?

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:45 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

markcatate wrote:
gsxrmick wrote:

oh dear. Rolling Eyes

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes

PostPosted: 23:48 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone point me in the direction of a free downloadable virus blocker and spyware dectector, that isn;t a trial which will run out in 30 days.

I've not had a virus scan for about 5 months. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 23:48 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry i meant to say i also use the trend online virus scan once in a while.

All the pc's run a beaut. Thumbs Up

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:49 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dom_ wrote:
Can anyone point me in the direction of a free downloadable virus blocker and spyware dectector, that isn;t a trial which will run out in 30 days.

AVG, and it's free.
https://www.grisoft.com/doc/289/lng/us/tpl/tpl01

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 23:59 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think viruses are overrated anyway, trojans and spyware are the ones to watch out for but can be cured reletively easily. Thumbs Up

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:07 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dom_ wrote:

Virus scanner, https://free.grisoft.com

Spyware scanner, https://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

Smile.

T1z3R
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:28 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i only have the necessary ones loading up Smile

https://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e141/T1z3R/systray.jpg

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 10:55 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what im talking about, even a powerful pc makes it a dog to run. Laughing

DJC69WP
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:31 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My top tip for speeding up your PC:

Install Linux!

I run Knoppix "https://www.knoppix.org" on my Desktop, and Ubuntu "https://www.ubuntu.com" on my laptop. I use it on weekends to dj at a local club, makes mp3 mixing a breeze, and support a lot of hardware!

Penguin Power Rulez!

m99dws
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

markcatate wrote:
I think viruses are overrated anyway, trojans and spyware are the ones to watch out for but can be cured reletively easily. Thumbs Up

Didn't the family planning clinic teach you anything? Prevention is better than a cure! Razz

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

markcatate my lawyers will be in touch. I did this, and now when I adjust the volume on my laptop (via keyboard) the OSD volume doesn't show up!

Craggles
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:02 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie wrote:
markcatate my lawyers will be in touch. I did this, and now when I adjust the volume on my laptop (via keyboard) the OSD volume doesn't show up!

Your laptop supplier will have written a little program to run on startup to make the OSD show up. You've obviously stopped it from starting!

Go back and find which program it is and make it run again!

I find it very difficult to do cleanups on the processes running on my laptop as IBM seem to add a lot of (very good) tosh in!

Craig

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:25 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuunny enough just installed xp on another machine, its runnign thigs absoloutely piss poor slow compared to how it ran with win2k, so looks like i'll be formating again Rolling Eyes
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 111 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2