Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

XP vs Linux...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:38 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: XP vs Linux... Reply with quote

Right basically my laptop is getting to the point now where its realy realy difficult to do anything on it.

Its about 4 years old now and pretty knackered. The CD drive does not work anymore, the drivers are messed and wont re-install, i tried an external cd drive aswell - installed drivers but they became corrupt again.
So i now have the question:

Should i remove Windows, and install a version of Linux?

Now i dont know much about linux, i have been playing with it a small amount at college and it appears to be rather difficult to do simple things, not the same "click and go" thing that im used to with windows... How easy is it to pick up?

Are there any versions of LInux that are pretty much the same as Windows to use?

Would i still be able to run my Windows 95 Version of Rainbow Six Original on it?

How easy is it to install and set up a wireless network USB stick and connect to my AOL broadband through it?

Just basic things like that... if anyone could advise i would be very gratefull!

(PS: I cant reformat and install windows because the CD Rom drivers are messed, therefore would be able to format the disk, but not install Windows again from the cd, whereas i can download linux and install from that i would suppose?)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 12:41 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linux is brilliant, but sadly not incredibly noob-friendly.

If you're willing to put the time and effort into finding out how to do things, then you'll soon change your opinion about windows being easier or quicker to do things with.

However, as an "out of the box" thing, to somebody who's not familiar with it, Linux isn't that friendly.

I'd recommend Redhat's free OS, Fedora. If you need any help, give me a shout. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 12:42 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used linux a bit and tbh its not for the average user, its difficult to do anything if you don't know how to do it, ie you have to download software and codecs to play videos as it doesnt have a video player as standard.

Its pretty basic but solid and reliable and will run a hell of a lot quicker than xp, quite like the different desktops but apart from that don't really like it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:44 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki is right, Fedora core rocks

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:45 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

So would i still be able to run my stuff on it? Eg games and that designed for windows?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:48 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: XP vs Linux... Reply with quote

Method wrote:
Should i remove Windows, and install a version of Linux?

I would say not unless you want to do software development for linux or something. Its fairly unusable unless you really know what you are doing. The GUI's are OK, but they aren't very supported, and don't do a great deal unless you are using large networks or whatever.
Method wrote:

Now i dont know much about linux, i have been playing with it a small amount at college and it appears to be rather difficult to do simple things, not the same "click and go" thing that im used to with windows... How easy is it to pick up?

Easy enough if you use it every day. Its not generally used for the same things that windows is, and it isn't self configuring. You'll need to configure your own CDROM drivers and graphics drivers etc for a laptop I would have thought. This may even require recompiling the kernel which isn't a novices thing
Method wrote:

Are there any versions of LInux that are pretty much the same as Windows to use?
Umm, there are one or two windows esque front ends, but they still need configuration - and a lot of it. Such examples are :Xwindows for Red Hat/Fedora and Gnome
Method wrote:
Would i still be able to run my Windows 95 Version of Rainbow Six Original on it?

No.
Method wrote:

How easy is it to install and set up a wireless network USB stick and connect to my AOL broadband through it?
Hard unless the Kernel you download comes pre compiled with the driver, which I sincerely doubt.

Nothing beats the device support of Windows XP, and TBH these days its pretty secure and stable.

Method wrote:

(PS: I cant reformat and install windows because the CD Rom drivers are messed, therefore would be able to format the disk, but not install Windows again from the cd, whereas i can download linux and install from that i would suppose?)

No. When you install Linux you generally have to do so from CD because the first stage of set up involves you repartitioning your hard disk. This would remove the NTFS file system and all of the files including your downloaded copy of Linux.

Personally I'd either concentrate on getting the CDROM working, or just re install windows and hope that it is a software fault rather than a hardware fault. If this is the case, windows should install fine and your CDROM will work. If its a hardware fault, I'd throw it in the bin and buy a new one.

HTH Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 12:49 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: XP vs Linux... Reply with quote

Method wrote:

In theory, yes. In practice, no. You can get GUI's that look like windows, and give you the same "point/click/drag/drop" things, but underneath it's nothing like windows.

Method wrote:

Easy answer, no. But with a bit of work, maybe. Do a google for "wine" and another for "Mono".

Method wrote:

Probably not too hard if you know what you're doing, probably pretty difficult if you don't. Try googling for it. Alternatively buy yourself a PCI wireless card, which will be far easier to configure.

Method wrote:
i can download linux and install from that i would suppose?

Correct. Very Happy

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:52 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I thought my CDROM was broken, found out that it would actually boot from an install disk though, and a reinstall fixed the whole thing.

My experience with Linux on a laptop was fucking horrible first time, installing the nVidia drivers is a headache enough (Don't know if they've changed now).

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:54 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: XP vs Linux... Reply with quote

Suzuki wrote:

Correct. Very Happy

Are you sure? won't he need a Linux Partition?

Don't forget his CDROM drive doesn't work...

Skunkcap Freddie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:57 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could download and use a "live cd" distro

either put it on usb memory pen or floppy disk

to be perfectly honest. linux is a lot better now that it was. but it's still no were as near user friendly as what windows xp is.

linux requires alot of messing around with.

example:

playing videos on the net, using plugins from quicktime, windows media player.

having to install java.tm to play basic webgames

mp3 support. you need to download mp3 players as most linux distro's don't include these anymore. (copyright stuff)

getting plugins for mp3/wmv and general things like that .

bit of a pain in the arse. takes quite a while to get linux running sweet. its not bad once you get used to it . i got fed up using it in the end . pure hassle getting games working and other bits and pieces
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

innominate
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:15 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Ubuntu.

Its Linux for Windows users (ie me)

Installed it on the downstairs PC & it installed all the drivers for me automatically for my wireless card.

Video/Sound codecs were the most difficult bit.
However if you can read forums and understand english you will be able to sort out any issues in a few hours.

Imho, its worth it just to get a feel for how Linux works.
The above version should install itself with a nice windows like front end.
I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the customs agent. I am the coast-guard. I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable.

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok,you've convinced me. lol

i got a spare, pc that i might put ubuntu(?) on, but do i just use all the drivers disks i got with all my hardware, to install drivers/software?

also do games still work on it? (like installing need for speed most wanted Twisted Evil )

also: i connect to a wireless network to get internet and stuff, would i still be able to access the windows pcs on the network? (file share/print/play games)

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:31 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drummer wrote:
also do games still work on it? (like installing need for speed most wanted Twisted Evil )

Nope, unless you use an emulator. These emulators will be slow and won't be able to play games released within the last two years at an acceptable speed.

Drummer wrote:

also: i connect to a wireless network to get internet and stuff, would i still be able to access the windows pcs on the network? (file share/print/play games)
Nope unless you do some strange things like setup FTP folders on all the windows machines.

You can browse from windows to Linux if you install a Samba share on it though.

Can I just say, Linux is about the worst platform for games. Especially games that are designed to work on windows!! Smile

Skunkcap Freddie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:31 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drummer wrote:
ok,you've convinced me. lol

i got a spare, pc that i might put ubuntu(?) on, but do i just use all the drivers disks i got with all my hardware, to install drivers/software?

installing games with great difficutly. you can use some software called cedega which basically emulates windows so you can install the game on there.

certain distro's of linux will have protocols built in that you can view your other systems on your windows network and vice versa
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, last question.

would i be able to install linux as a second OS on my pc (so i don't have to format it/make images, etc) if i make the required partitions?

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 15:02 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank fork

illusion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:45 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you decide to put it on and you get any troubles bring it over mine mate, I'm a certified geek Wink

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:46 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've installed it, and running perfect(ish).

it's just it changed the resolution to 640x480 and i cant change it Evil or Very Mad

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:22 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to play fps games on linux, your options are:
Quake 1, Quake 2, Quake 3, RTCWolfenstein, UT.

Quake 2 in particular runs very well with nvidia cards (better than it does on Windows). Half Life used to run quite well under Wine, but I would avoid going down that route if I were you.

Drummer
Off the top of my head, you specify resolutions you want enabled in a config file in the /etc directory (something like /etc/XF86conf), and then can switch between them with a key combination (possibly 'ctrl' and '+'/'-'). I haven't used a unix OS properly for a few years now - I wouldn't recommend Linux to people who just want a computer that works. But if you want to learn about how things work, then it'll be right up your street.

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

So still no idiot compliant linux Question Sad

Had a couple of trys with a few distros, could use it fine, but coudln't get past installing ANYTHING or codecs.. which is crap really because it would have done great for the very few things thats asked of it.. real shame..

Never mind, might look again in another year or two Razz

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:16 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr.z wrote:
Had a couple of trys with a few distros, could use it fine, but coudln't get past installing ANYTHING or codecs..

Use Debian. To download and install a program, say for example the IRC client 'Xchat', you would type:
apt-get install xchat

The downside is that you have to be comfortable with a command-line (text) interface to use Debian, both for the install process, and to make use of its best features. However if you aren't willing to learn to use the shell (text interface), then Linux probably isn't for you.

The strength of Linux is in its popularity. All IRC networks will have a channel #linux where you will be able to get help with things. There are also loads of 'Linux User Groups'(LUGs) in the UK, which are local mailing-list based clubs. The Nottingham LUG is very active, and if you ask for help on the mailing list you are sure to get a response.

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:04 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

usin linux now, got codecs, fixed my resolution.

just working on playing DVDs n stuff now.

is there anyway of writing to my NTFS drives, or will it always be just read only?

pipnet11
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:59 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
is there anyway of writing to my NTFS drives, or will it always be just read only?

As far as I know its still read only. This will almost certainly change though, a few years ago you couldnt even read them.

IMO Linux is descent if you are prepared to put in the effort. I still find Windows XP easier, faster, and just as stable as SuSE, Fedora, and Ubuntu distros which I have tried. If you want to run a server for anything however it is fantastic (including a windows network, which was surprisingly easy, and windows caused most problems not Linux).

MacOS I have been changed on very quickly. I have seen it running Win XP at a very respectable speed via emulation. That was on a Mac Mini and I was impressed after my previous experience of it being terrible.

As you have probably found, Linux will do almost everything that windows will do, and will even try to look like it, but will do it slowly unless you do some serious system tweaking. This was the sort of stuff I could not be bothered to put the effort into, and now I havn't got a spare computer so it isnt likely to happen soon.
I love the girls that do, I hate the girls that dont, I hate the girls who say they will and then they say they wont, but the girl I like most of all and I think youll say Im right, is the girl who says she never has but looks as though she might. - Max Bygraves

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 10:20 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to work at a place that sold pcs
sometimes ppl wd ask if the pc wd run on linux and we wd have to say we cdnt be sure

the reason being sometimes there wd be problems with the drivers for devices running with linux

i may be wrong, but this could mean that with some hardware set ups you wd need to track down linux drivers for a particular device such as the dvd drive

anyone else heard of this ? or were we just being overcautious and wrong ?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 41 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2