Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Alonso on Rossi - from BBC website

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

tintin
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:41 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Alonso on Rossi - from BBC website Reply with quote

Alonso on Rossi
Fernando Alonso says he is happy MotoGP champion Valentino Rossi has been testing for Ferrari as it distracts the team from preparing for the new season. The Renault driver, who is fine-tuning the defence of his Formula One world crown, has been quick to strike the first psychological blow of 2006.

"I'm glad because that means they have lost valuable time preparing the cars for the show they put on," he said.

"Let him come and drive. It's good because there will be more attention."

Yamaha rider Rossi, 27, has won motorcycling's top category for the last five years and has been linked with a move from two wheels to four after several tests with Ferrari.

After a number of private tests, he recently had his first test along with other F1 drivers, and seven-times world champion Michael Schumacher said he thought Rossi had the ability to compete in F1.

But Alonso seemed unimpressed, saying testing was not the same as competitive driving.

"Until we see him race we won't know his true potential, but it will be very difficult for him," he said.

"He might finish fifth or even get on the podium some time, but I could do the same on the bikes if I was given a bit of time to practise."

------------------

Umm, I don't think so....

Fortuna
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:47 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micheal Schumacher actually said himself that he would never get on the bikes as he doesn't feel he is good enough. No way could Alonso hold that claim he has just made.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:51 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm, wonder if Yamaha could be persuaded to offer Alonso a days testing on the M1.

Well, I say a day. A few minutes should be enough before they call the ambulance.

All the best

Keith

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Rossi does make the move to F1 in 2007 then I very much look forward to him getting stuck in with the same mindgames which turned Gibernau into a bumbling mess last season. Thumbs Up

Schumacher, someone who's opinion on the subject I'd value a fair bit, said: "Absolutely, it's completely possible for him. He has enough talent to get there. I would even say that it is easier to go from bikes to cars than the other way round. And when, like him, you have this special feeling on two wheels, you can use it perfectly on four wheels."

Maybe Alonso's already worried. Laughing

kb-zxr
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:17 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bless. Maybe his mommy never let him have a TS50 when he was 16 cos they were so dangerous...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kwaks
I'm not a fast rider

PostPosted: 13:22 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

On good authority I heard he won't go to F1, preffered option is WRC Subaru. Guess Ferrari overestimated the Italian connection. Thumbs Up

TOM M
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be ace if he went to WRC, the series could do with a bit more media etc, get it back to its best Thumbs Up

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:59 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwaker6r wrote:
On good authority I heard he won't go to F1, preffered option is WRC Subaru. Guess Ferrari overestimated the Italian connection. Thumbs Up

What good authority's that then? If he did it would seem pretty weird, since afaik he's only had a couple of goes in WRC cars, compared to 6+ F1 tests. It'll probably be another 10 months or so before anyone really knows what he's doing though, so we'll just have to wait 'n see.

ashley_46
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:17 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't he come second in some rally thing and beat Colin Mcrae. Sure i remember reading about it somewhere but i may be wrong.

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 16:54 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"He might finish fifth or even get on the podium some time, but I could do the same on the bikes if I was given a bit of time to practise."

Laughing

Yeah mate, sure Wink

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ashley_46 wrote:
Didn't he come second in some rally thing and beat Colin Mcrae. Sure i remember reading about it somewhere but i may be wrong.

Yep he did, and very impressive that was too. But he's spent a lot of time now testing for Ferrari, even in the busy pre-season for MotoGP. So I'd put my cash on him going to F1 if anywhere.

R6jonny
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:00 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigs23 wrote:
Quote:

Laughing

Yeah mate, sure Wink

How do you know he doesnt ride ?? I think its kinda arrogant to assume that he wont be able to ride. OK maybe the podium would take a while but its not that much different to what Rossi is doing in the cars

R6jonny
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:03 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortuna wrote:
Micheal Schumacher actually said himself that he would never get on the bikes as he doesn't feel he is good enough. No way could Alonso hold that claim he has just made.

Im prettty sure Schumacher spent some time playing with the Ducati Desmo MotoGP bikes , he was no where near competitive but hey musta been fun Very Happy

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:31 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
October 24, 2005

Mugello, Italy - Michael Schumacher spent a day in Valentino Rossi's world on Monday (October 24) when he tested a MotoGP bike for the first time at the Mugello circuit.

Schumacher rode a Ducati Desmosedice similar to the one used by Loris Capirossi to win consecutive races in Japan and Malaysia earlier this year.

He started the session gently, lapping the Italian MotoGP circuit at around 2min40sec. He completed about 40 laps and by the end was almost 30 seconds faster, circulating at about 2min15sec - still nowhere near Rossi's record of 1min49.223sec.

A Ferrari spokesman said: "It was just for fun
'I was looking forward to this for a long time; it was worth it, super fun'
."

Ducati is based in Bologna, near Ferrari's Maranello factory, and shares the same title sponsor as the Italian Formula 1 team as well as the same tyre and fuel partners.

Schumacher commented: "I was looking forward to this for a long time; it was worth it, super fun."

Rossi has tested twice for Ferrari, in April 2004 and more seriously in August this year; it has expressed an interest in luring him to Formula 1 when he tires of MotoGP.

Schumacher will be 37 in January and is already the oldest active Formula 1 driver; he has said he will see out his career at Ferrari.

Last edited by owdamer on 16:26 - 19 Feb 2006; edited 1 time in total

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 18:38 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because, unless I'm biased, bikes are generally difficult to ride. Not saying F1 is easy, but in MotoGP the rider makes up more of an equation to how quickly a rider can lap a track. In Formula 1, it's more technology (and buisness) based, I couldn't imagine Alonso getting on a less-than-competitive car and making it into a champsionship winner first time out.

Schumacher, who does ride bikes could only manage a lap time 30 seconds behind those of MotoGP front runners. With practice maybe he'ld get closer; motorcycle riders seem to be both technically minded and extremely talented. Rossi learning to drive an F1 car within the times of F1 veterans is testimony to this.

Maybe Alonso could learn to ride a bike pretty quickly over time, but how long would we have to wait for him to be within a couple of tenths of a pole lap time?

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:52 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe Alonso could learn to ride a bike pretty quickly over time, but how long would we have to wait for him to be within a couple of tenths of a pole lap time?

A rough guess would be........................A FU**ING LONG TIME!

I reckon Coultard has more chance of winning the F1 title than Alonso has of getting within 5 seconds of Rossi.

DaveH
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigs23 wrote:
Not saying F1 is easy, but in MotoGP the rider makes up more of an equation to how quickly a rider can lap a track. In Formula 1, it's more technology (and buisness) based, I couldn't imagine Alonso getting on a less-than-competitive car and making it into a champsionship winner first time out.

Hear , hear. Exactly what Rossi proved to Honda.

If he does go to F1 though, wonder if he will get bored. Afterall in MotoGP there is a lot of overtaking, jostling for position and tactics; in F1 there is a lot of tactics, on a team basis, and very little else happens. Aerodynamics play too negative a part, whereas any slipstreaming in bikes can be used to good advantage without it physically compromising the ability of the bike to function, i.e. brake and turn corners.

NSR-Rulez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:25 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thats the funniest thing i've read tonight, i somehow doubt that as rossi isn't the only competitor, i think gibernau, capirossi, pedrosa, hayden and edwards would have something to say about that, the 2006 season is going to be great.

Ithink alonso wouldn't stand much of a chance even in the 125 races.

NSR-Rulez
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:05 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

R6jonny wrote:
Fortuna wrote:

Im prettty sure Schumacher spent some time playing with the Ducati Desmo MotoGP bikes , he was no where near competitive but hey musta been fun Very Happy

Yeah, he did and was nowhere near competitive times. I think it's just a sponsorship thing for marloboro.

Rossi has competed for subaru, which i'd guess gives more of an indication of a full-time drive, but the styles between wrc and F1 are very different ie. racing the clock versus racing in the pack. Still, it's not as if rossi is afraid of shoulder-to shoulder riding. To be honest, i've got no idea which he will pick, but he's bound to entertain in either.

I'd like to see him in F1, and I'd like to see him absolutely cane Alonso. F1 needs some shaking up.

craigs23 wrote:
In Formula 1, it's more technology (and buisness) based, I couldn't imagine Alonso getting on a less-than-competitive car and making it into a champsionship winner first time out.

True, but can you take a corner at 100mph, then set the car up for the next corner while you are driving? Schumacher and co can and do adjust the traction control, brake force distribution and other settings between corners, and the technology is much harder to control. Also, journos always seem to comment on how easy moto gp bikes are to ride.

Jack

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 09:54 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
True, but can you take a corner at 100mph, then set the car up for the next corner while you are driving? Schumacher and co can and do adjust the traction control, brake force distribution and other settings between corners, and the technology is much harder to control. Also, journos always seem to comment on how easy moto gp bikes are to ride.

Like I said, not easy. I remember reading about Chris Walker's 2000 spec GSX-R750 - he used to manually adjust the brakes 2 to 3 times a lap (there was an adjuster just above his clutch) to keep them working how he liked. I wonder if MotoGP riders could use such technology if they had it their disposal. At the moment they don't, which means they have to ride around such inadequacies. The differences in rider skill usually shows towards the end of the races because of this; those who can master the bikes when the brakes/tyres/suspension are knackered and they're running out of fuel...

I think the journo comment was for riding the bike's at their pace; not the bike's/motogp levels. Especially when compairing a linear four stroke to previous late 80s-90s strokers (which I read plenty of Journo tests on), which would highside such 'inadequate' riders at the slightest whiff of imperfect riding, break your bones and then repeatedly kick your head in. For fun.

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:20 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quote's been changed, somebody's backpedalling. Laughing

Quote:
"I could start riding a motorbike and, after three years training, be a second from them, but I don't pretend that I could beat Dani (Pedrosa) or someone who has been in motorbikes since they were three years old."

Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:48 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

alonso is an idiot for saying that.
so from being a novice to riding at gp pace in 3 years? so how come most of bcf aren't riding along edwards,nakano,vermulen...
now i want rossi to go to F1 and whoop his butt Twisted Evil
that'll show him

Valentino Mossy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micheal Schumacher is looking to retire at the end of this season and thinking about setting up a new team ,so i read in the bible that is the sun newspaper !!
Money on rossi jumping ship at the end of this year ?
Maybe worth a £10 flutter !

johnsilva
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:32 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

would rossi skip the new challenge of the 800cc bikes?
im not too sure... Confused

NC30UK
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:31 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smaller engines that you have to rev more... races where its all about corner speed and less about straight line thump?

Think he's been there and done it all before.
He has proved he can win races against the straigh line speed advantage of the hondas and ducati's.

I think he'd be even more dominant if the power was reduced accross the board.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 68 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2