BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New VMax

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 12:51 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: New VMax Reply with quote

https://www.motorcycledaily.com/vmax.jpg

Apparently the new generation Yamaha V-Max, first shown as a concept bike at last year's Tokyo motor show, is now headed for production. Yamaha has opened a website, www.next-vmax.com, which contains a photo gallery of the concept bike, as well as a section where you can give Yamaha your feedback on the bike.

The most interesting question the site poses is probably "How much horsepower do you expect from the next V-Max model?" - the choices range from 140hp all the way to 210hp! There is also a question concerning the advanced features you'd like - options include traction control and ABS.

According to a rumor reported in British weekly Motorcycle News, Yamaha's forthcoming V-Max may feature a variable valve timing system on its V4 powerplant. According to the report, Yamaha has developed a system that is 'far more advanced' than the VTEC system used on Honda's Interceptor (which is not really a variable valve timing system at all).

In the past, Yamaha has been known to work closely with Japanese car manufacturer Toyota, who produce several cars with variable valve timing systems. If Yamaha can use something similar to Toyota's systems, it would give the new V-Max more power throughout the entire rev range - an important selling point on a 'muscle bike' like the V-Max.

This is good news for V-Max enthusiasts (or should we say 'members of the cult of V-Max'?) who are eagerly awaiting the new bike.

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:05 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks cool. Seems to have stolen alot of styling ideas from the confederate bikes though.

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:24 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seat looks bloody hard!

proximity
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:26 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks awful, but is that an intercooler i see?

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 16:52 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks incredibly ugly. And fat. Which it ought to Thumbs Up

Same (or better) stonking straight line performance then? I presume the variable valve timing is replacing the 'v-boost'?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 17:22 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

that bottom rad wd be a pain on wet roads otherwise looks good

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:59 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks kinda cool, but i suspect it's going to be lacking in basic areas(such as brakes), as their new fazer reportedly was compared to previous models. There's no USDs which spoils the front end for me, the shocks are still bulky and clutter the rear, but it's a cruiser so it's forgivable. That bottom radiator is going to reduce the rear tyre grip as soon as you hit a speedbump, because it's bound to burst all over the place.

Looks pretty good, but for some reason i get the impression it'll just magically disassemble itself into all its constituant components after the first thousand miles.

Toyota's vvt system is a stonker, IIRC it's the one used on the celica which switches camshaft profiles at a certain rpm to give extra fuel/air mixture. It got good reviews from the motoring press, and IIRC, steve berry quoted it as giving 200bhp/litre.

If they use the Toyota system, Yamaha will most likely have a sales success on their hands for the engine alone.

Jack
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:39 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old V-Max's weakpoint is weak frame , so I want new V-Max have solid tube frame(like photo of concept model). Hopefully new one adopts chain drive instead of shaft drive. Shaft drive doesn't suit to dragger.

Mockey
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:39 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the ugliest thing I've ever seen! Looks like something from I-robot Thumbs Down

NSR-Rulez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it looks cool, i wonder how much torque it has, sod bhp, remember these can beat R1's of the line and up to 60, due to the amount of torque they have.

Although i think i'll stick to the 2002 RSV and the 2006 Fireblade as my bikes for my future in riding.

NSR-Rulez
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ISLAND GIRL
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:58 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH Drooling

Not bad, the front end looks kinda stumpy somehow

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:34 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

NSR-Rulez wrote:
I think it looks cool, i wonder how much torque it has, sod bhp, remember these can beat R1's of the line and up to 60, due to the amount of torque they have.

If they can, it's not because of the torque.
An R1 has enough torque to lift the front wheel at pretty much any point in first - no need for more.

It would be about the weight they have to keep the front end down maybe. Stick some dumb-bell weights on the front of the r1 for the same effect.

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:10 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks mean and moody Thumbs Up

Probably shite to ride and wont look anything like it when its released Confused

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:10 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but come on. LOOK AT IT. If that was rolling down the street towards you, you wouldn't take a second glance?

Quote:

This man gets it right first time. These were always about straight line performance and brute power. Having it look 'pretty' (ffs) would be stupid.

Quote:
Toyota's vvt system is a stonker, IIRC it's the one used on the celica which switches camshaft profiles at a certain rpm to give extra fuel/air mixture. It got good reviews from the motoring press

said toyota gets 180hp from 1.8 litres, so not bad, but not quite 200hp/litre yet. If you want that, go wankel.

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:34 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilredmachine wrote:
Yeah, but come on. LOOK AT IT. If that was rolling down the street towards you, you wouldn't take a second glance?

Quote:

This man gets it right first time. These were always about straight line performance and brute power. Having it look 'pretty' (ffs) would be stupid.

Quote:
Toyota's vvt system is a stonker, IIRC it's the one used on the celica which switches camshaft profiles at a certain rpm to give extra fuel/air mixture. It got good reviews from the motoring press

said toyota gets 180hp from 1.8 litres, so not bad, but not quite 200hp/litre yet. If you want that, go wankel.

Typo Embarassed

Wankel engines are sly - rated at only 1/3rd of their actual capacity. Good for tax and racing purposes though Very Happy

Jack

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!

PostPosted: 00:44 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm sexy!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 67 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1