Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Internet radio providers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:57 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Internet radio providers Reply with quote

Pretty soon me and some mates will be setting up an internet radio station from my place. Been looking into wireless routers and what not for transmitting the signal (it'll be in my garage) and I've got that covered, but when it comes to finding a service provider to actually host the stream (we want at least 200 listeners to start) all I can find is places that host domains and servers, not actual audio streams. Been Googling a lot and still cant seem to come up with anything, probably because I dont /really/ know what I'm looking for with regards to hosting it.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 13:34 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

First question... are you streaming the show live, or will you record the show and then stream it "off-air" from a website?

If it is the latter, then you just need some decent website hosting.

If it is the former, then you'll need a fat internet pipe from some ISP into your house, with a really good upload speed. Standard ADSL wont be good enough.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

fuzz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Abacast. I really don't know too much about the subject, but my fave radio station uses them.

https://www.internetradioguide.co.uk/newsletters/issue30.html

About Abacast: https://www.virginradio.co.uk/thestation/listen/abacast.html

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:24 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Suzuki

Yeah, it will be a live stream. We've been running a station on FM now for about 17 years and it just costs too much money. Is there anyway to send it to a homepage (ie server) and then get that to broadcast it, rather than a 'direct' stream?

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 14:46 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reflex wrote:
Is there anyway to send it to a homepage (ie server) and then get that to broadcast it, rather than a 'direct' stream?

Yes I think so. Don't know details off the top of my head, so would need to do some research, but that will be possible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 71 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1