Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

MZ, the saga so far.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 15:23 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: MZ, the saga so far. Reply with quote

https://www.gaz-racing.co.uk/images/MZ/th_DSCI0016(Small).jpg

Well, that's how it started.

This is how it is now.

https://www.gaz-racing.co.uk/images/MZ/th_DSCI0121.jpg

Here it is now with a large chunk of the frame sawn off, clipons added, rearsets added, new rear shocks, a bottom yoke as a top yoke, a VFR400 NC30 seat unit, it's also now got a master cylinder (Nissin) off an NC30. New downpipe and exhaust so it's mounted on the left side off the bike as most tracks are raced clockwise to improve ground clearance since I touched my downpipe down at lydden and promptly fell off.

Things still to add are the magneto ignition, adjust the clutch that I knocked out of adjustment by accident, get my braided hose on, and a few little bits and bobs.

Full write up at www.gaz-racing.co.uk

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 02:32 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Thumbs Up

You filed the piston crown yet?

Don't worry, I won't tell the racing people Wink

Rex off the ratbike zone wrote:
Also a little trick to get some more poop to the pop out of an ETZ is to file down the edges of the piston right where the transfer ports are. I've been doing this for years and it's fine.

Just drop the piston down the barrell when you've got it all off the engine and make some scratches on top of the piston where the ports are at their widest (there are actually four ports on an ETZ barrell, a big one and a little one on each side but just treat them as one port each side) and then just take a file (I use a coarse wood file) and shave off the top edge of the piston between your scratches at a 45 degree angle to half the depth from the top of the piston to the first ring groove. It's something like two or three mill. Works a treat and is cheap to do.

Rex knows what he is talking about when it comes to MZ 2-smokes. Wink

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 03:02 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, some lil piccies of that would be nice.... Or maybe even buy a piston that he's already done. Got an email address for him?

Any way to boost power is good! I've got about 18bhp if I'm lucky, althought it's now a lot lighter than it was before.

Don't really need to stick to the MZ club rules/ACU rules just at the moment while I'm messing about with trackdays.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 03:15 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to get up to 30 ponies out of one of those engines. Combined with the relatively-speaking shedloads of torque they have, I would imagine it would be quite something. Remember, the MZ race bikes of the 1970's started life as engines lifted off the production line.

Try this link: https://www.mztech.fsnet.co.uk/mods/mod_port.html

I would do the piston rather than the barrel. If you mess up, it isn't expensive to replace.

And get a mikuni carb.

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 03:35 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, mikuni carb really does go against the MZ rules, although you can bore out the standard ones a fair bit.

I shall give it a go! Standard pistons are cheap new, and turn up a fair bit on eBay.

And yes, you can get about 30bhp with the porting the various tuners do. I just don't fancy a) the costs of the tuning in the first place and b) the 'refresh' tuning that you have to have every season or whatever.

Funny, it's nigh on impossible to seize a non tuned MZ engine Laughing but with the tuned ones it happens too often.

I've ordered a magneto ignition system, which should aid burning at higher revs, other than that, I would like to fit a lighter piston to help it rev higher. But that involves shortening the barrel which isn't particularly fun.

Gaz

Cognitive_Faux
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 05:40 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks mental!!!

keep at it!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 22:12 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.gaz-racing.co.uk/images/MZ/th_DSCI0138.jpg

Added master cylinder, quick action throttle, grips, front mudguard, race pads. Few other bits and bobs.

Very nearly done now, just waiting on my new ignition system, and need to secure a few things.

Gaz

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes

PostPosted: 22:29 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good.

Is there a reason the clip ons are set so low?

2Smoke
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:09 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like!! Very Happy

Shame I got rid of most of my rgv spares as there were a couple of fairings that would have done for it!

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 00:03 - 13 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'oh, RGV fairings would be sweet, but against the class rules.

If you've got a front mudguard though...

The clipons just seem to be low on all race MZs, so I'm just copying them really, it seems to be so you can tuck in like a mofo, get as aerodynamic as you can.

Gaz

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 00:32 - 13 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custom made expansion chambers... Whistle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

2Smoke
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:09 - 13 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have still got a mudguard kicking about, its a bit rough but you can have it for free!

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 12:42 - 11 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit 2smoke, only just saw that!

Anyway, quick update, my camera died before I left Bristol, so no pics at the moment.

I've fitted the new ignition system, which sparks!! Going to try and run the engine in the next few hours.

Fitted an RS250 mudguard curtosy of G, thank you very much!

And a seat unit from a TZ250, curtosy of Phil Belenkin an MZ racer. Chris Rogers another MZ racer also donated me an R1 seat unit.

Bike's coming along well, hopefully it'll be all ready to ride at Silverstone next sunday.

Gaz

2Smoke
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:56 - 11 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

no worries! If you get stuck for anything give me a shout, see what I've got kicking around!

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 20:38 - 14 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again no pics just yet, but the engine ran 2 days ago. Should be ok to ride at Silverstone, although it'll be treated as a test day.

I'll ride around until something breaks, fix it if I can, carry on riding, and so on.

Will have to bring the yoke back up a bit, forks are through too far and at full compression the tyre hits the downpipe.

Can't wait!

Gaz

2Smoke
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:37 - 14 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gazdaman wrote:

Will have to bring the yoke back up a bit, forks are through too far and at full compression the tyre hits the downpipe.

eek! Shocked Shocked

Good luck! Thumbs Up

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 18:33 - 17 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

..And now it's seized, never mind. Silverstone was fun though.

Rolling Eyes

Gaz

2Smoke
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:25 - 17 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gazdaman wrote:
..And now it's seized, never mind. Silverstone was fun though.

Rolling Eyes

Gaz

I didnt think it was possible to seize an mz! 1mm gap between piston and bore surely?!

bad one anyway! Sad

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 01:24 - 18 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what kinda clearance.

I suspect it was more than just a heat seize from ragging it though. There must have been something else.

The jetting is still standard and I've put a k&n on it, and a freer flowing exhaust. Where the 2t oil used to be injected at the bottom of the head that hole wasn't plugged perfectly. And another 2 holes in the crank case weren't plugged perfectly, although they didn't need to be air tight.

I really hope it's a piston seize and not bottom end.

Gaz

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 23:47 - 18 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pic from before the seizure.

https://www.bristolbikers.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=4904

Come a long way since its road bike days.

Gaz

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 00:25 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a pukka MZ racer Thumbs Up

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:00 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that not the strangest frame design even produced!

Looks like it would have a scary amount of flex, gotta be a scream to ride fast though!

Hope you get it sorted mate, you have put so much into it. Thumbs Up

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 19:11 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is fairly weird, but again all good.

The engine pivots around the swing arm pivot. And is rubber mounted to the underside of the main down tube.

MZs are good bikes. Real bikers appreciate the goodness of an MZ.

Alot of people rubbish them, but then they'll jump on their sportsbike with its computerised FI and complicated this and complicated that.

Gaz

2Smoke
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:53 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, looks well Cool as you can tell I used to own an mz and was brought up on eastern bloc strokers, jawas, cz's and the like! as for your seizure, did you do a plug chop before the reace or do you not bother sitting up the jetting? makes a big difference ya know Smile

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 00:48 - 20 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well engine was standard, and the exhaust is for a standard engine, I really didn't think it'd make too much difference.

They were doing dyno runs for a tenner, and just before I went out for the dreaded session I was about to stick it on the dyno to see how the fuelling was.

MZs are bloody good bikes. I did think they were unseizable though. Proved that wrong!

Gaz
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 9 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2