Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Return to hidden cameras

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:59 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Return to hidden cameras Reply with quote

Hi

Here is more proof that speed cameras are nothing to do with safety.

https://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2045689,00.html

Hiding cameras and putting them on roads on which people speed but don't have accidents.

All the best

Keith

The Times wrote:

Go slow: police win the right to camouflage speed cameras
By Ben Webster

The prominent yellow boxes may be harder to identify from next year

MOTORISTS face the return of hidden speed cameras after rules governing their siting and visibility cease to be enforced from April 2007.

Camera partnerships, which include police and local authorities, will be able to repaint yellow cameras to make them blend into the background.

They will also be able to install cameras where there is a speeding problem but little history of crashes.

At present the partnerships are bound by strict rules issued by the Department for Transport. The cameras must be painted bright yellow and be visible from at least 60m (200ft) away. They can be installed only at sites where there have been at least three collisions causing death or serious injury and three causing slight injury within a kilometre in the previous three years.

Many partnerships believe that the rules are too restrictive. Last autumn, Richard Brunstrom, the Chief Constable of North Wales Police, said that many more lives would be saved if there were more flexibility in camera location.

He said: “Parents often write to us and ask us to put a camera outside a school because the traffic is so dangerous. It’s very difficult to write back and say, ‘Please let us know when your son is killed and then we can consider putting a camera there.’ ”

Alistair Darling, the Transport Secretary, said in December that partnerships would no longer be able to keep the cash from camera fines to pay for more cameras. They will get grants from a central road safety fund to pay for cameras or alternative measures such as new markings or humps.

Ian Bell, the camera liaison officer for the Association of Chief Police Officers, said that regional differences were likely. “If a highway authority wants to install more cameras and they have the money there will be nothing to stop them. They may decide to put cameras in places the criteria do not currently allow, such as in villages and around schools.”

Lee Murphy, speed camera manager for Cheshire, said: “If the rules weren’t compulsory we could use cameras to tackle emerging trends rather than waiting for the minimum number of collisions.”

A Department of Transport spokesman said: “Local authorities will have freedom to use cameras where appropriate and where they see fit. But we do not want to see a return to the bad old days of cameras being hidden behind trees. We are minded to use guidance to achieve this, but if authorities flout it we will consider regulation. If they want to paint cameras grey we will want to know why.”

Kevin Delaney, the head of road safety at the RAC Foundation, said: “We are concerned that some partnerships will conceal cameras and risk losing the trust of motorists. It makes sense for cameras to be yellow because it slows people down at accident blackspots.”

Brake, a road safety charity, welcomed the new flexibility for partnerships. Mary Williams, its chief executive, said: “Requiring casualties before action is abhorrent and results in needless deaths. We welcome the opportunity for covert enforcement because too many motorists simply slow down briefly for a yellow camera.”

HerbalDayZ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

kal9001
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:05 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

hidden cameras serve only to make money, if noone sees them then they will just do the same speed and have the same problems as before the cam was there, but the govenment makes more money.

ifyou have visable cams outside schools and such, then people slow down, itdoesnt make as much money, but it does make the road safer for people.

what would you choose.

can i also point out that there was more in that then this, it also states that local councils cant keep the money from the fines, and it goes to a centeral fund that is then spread out according to need not greed. this will put less temptation on the local authority to put cams in money making positions.

I think that the local council shud be alowed to place cams, in built up areas where people are shown to be speeding alot (i.e. 60 in 40 and 30 zones) camera limits shud be set ATLEAST 5~10MPH above the limit to cancel out any inaccuracy (and lets be honest who desont do 35/40 in a 30)

in non built up areas cams can only be placed where there have been PROBLEMS (i.e. accidents) with speed

with both cases if there have been accidents then that 5~10MPH headroom can be eliminated.

also along with cameras there shud be something notifying drivers of why the cam is there i.e.asign for the school, or a accident site to make people aware of WHY they shud slow down saying "cos its the law" doesnt realy convince people notto do it

when you ask your mother if you can go out with your mates tonight and she says "no", you ask why and she says "because I say so" just brings to mind that all they want to do is control for no reason what so ever.

excess money from cams that isnt spent on more cams, or other traffic measures shud be given to the DSA who could use that to train drivers better and thus cause less accidents.

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 20:15 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

KAL9000 wrote:

I think that the local council shud be alowed to place cams, in built up areas where people are shown to be speeding alot (i.e. 60 in 40 and 30 zones) camera limits shud be set ATLEAST 5~10MPH above the limit to cancel out any inaccuracy

I broadly agree - the public needs to be reassured that the cameras are there to catch serious speeders, not those who have drifted over the limit while concentrating on the road ahead.

Quote:

(and lets be honest who desont do 35/40 in a 30)

Me.

I don't speed in posted limits, especially 30 zones - motorways are a different kettle of fish, conditions allowing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:20 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't speed in 30's/40's either, much to the constant pisstaking of my mates Sad

Chriss
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:54 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto to the no speeding in posted speed limits.

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: Return to hidden cameras Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

Here is more proof that speed cameras are nothing to do with safety.

https://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2045689,00.html

Hiding cameras and putting them on roads on which people speed but don't have accidents.

All the best

Keith

The Times wrote:

Go slow: police win the right to camouflage speed cameras
By Ben Webster

The prominent yellow boxes may be harder to identify from next year

MOTORISTS face the return of hidden speed cameras after rules governing their siting and visibility cease to be enforced from April 2007.

Camera partnerships, which include police and local authorities, will be able to repaint yellow cameras to make them blend into the background.

They will also be able to install cameras where there is a speeding problem but little history of crashes.

At present the partnerships are bound by strict rules issued by the Department for Transport. The cameras must be painted bright yellow and be visible from at least 60m (200ft) away. They can be installed only at sites where there have been at least three collisions causing death or serious injury and three causing slight injury within a kilometre in the previous three years.

Many partnerships believe that the rules are too restrictive. Last autumn, Richard Brunstrom, the Chief Constable of North Wales Police, said that many more lives would be saved if there were more flexibility in camera location.

He said: “Parents often write to us and ask us to put a camera outside a school because the traffic is so dangerous. It’s very difficult to write back and say, ‘Please let us know when your son is killed and then we can consider putting a camera there.’ ”

Alistair Darling, the Transport Secretary, said in December that partnerships would no longer be able to keep the cash from camera fines to pay for more cameras. They will get grants from a central road safety fund to pay for cameras or alternative measures such as new markings or humps.

Ian Bell, the camera liaison officer for the Association of Chief Police Officers, said that regional differences were likely. “If a highway authority wants to install more cameras and they have the money there will be nothing to stop them. They may decide to put cameras in places the criteria do not currently allow, such as in villages and around schools.”

Lee Murphy, speed camera manager for Cheshire, said: “If the rules weren’t compulsory we could use cameras to tackle emerging trends rather than waiting for the minimum number of collisions.”

A Department of Transport spokesman said: “Local authorities will have freedom to use cameras where appropriate and where they see fit. But we do not want to see a return to the bad old days of cameras being hidden behind trees. We are minded to use guidance to achieve this, but if authorities flout it we will consider regulation. If they want to paint cameras grey we will want to know why.”

Kevin Delaney, the head of road safety at the RAC Foundation, said: “We are concerned that some partnerships will conceal cameras and risk losing the trust of motorists. It makes sense for cameras to be yellow because it slows people down at accident blackspots.”

Brake, a road safety charity, welcomed the new flexibility for partnerships. Mary Williams, its chief executive, said: “Requiring casualties before action is abhorrent and results in needless deaths. We welcome the opportunity for covert enforcement because too many motorists simply slow down briefly for a yellow camera.”

Oh well, will have to use my satnav more than i want to as the POI database which will prob be banned soon enough.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Deano
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

they take us for idiots, if they were really that bothered about speeders by school for instance they would install a few speed humps where people would have to slow down. problem solved. yet instead their trying to fill their pockets. they see £££ when they know they can use a camera for a safety measure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kal9001
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 01:12 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

they have to compensate for the loss of revenue from smoking.

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 13:18 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

As if they don’t do this already Rolling Eyes

I was caught by a van that was a plain white Transit sat in a lay-by, the only thing that would have given it away was the yellow and black markings on the rear doors which obviously are open so you can’t see them when it is colleting money for the day.
Which incidentally is my beef with them, they aren’t there all the time, usually sunny days, weekends, where speeds are over the limit, regardless of conditions.

Most cameras that catch you going over a red light are grey boxes.

Police with hand held cameras hide behind bushes.

Where I live, in the past month almost every road now has a large red patch with the speed indicated in white, it looks horrible and makes the riding so restricted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:50 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the speed cameras in Aberdeenshire have a flourescent red and yellow plate on them.

So picture this you are riding down the A90 from Aberdeen to Dundee.

Road is clear, huge amount of visability, you are carrying on minding your own business.
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/scamera.jpg

Now, how much attention are you paying?

See the roadsign? Count the poles.

Now let's look at the same piece of road but from the central reservation:

https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/scamera2.jpg

So, not for revenue earning? Why bother putting the flourescent plate on it in the first place? You aren't telling me that is not deliberate.
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/scamera3.jpg

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:51 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, im getting a road angel for my bike.

I know they'll be illegal soon, but hey, they're only illegal when discovered... Rolling Eyes Wink

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 13:53 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post Stinkwheel.... Cool Thumbs Up

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 14:12 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: Return to hidden cameras Reply with quote

The Times wrote:
A Department of Transport spokesman said: “...If they want to paint cameras grey we will want to know why.” ...

Sod the DoT wanting to know why, what about the likes of your and me getting to know?

Suggest a letter/email/fax campaign asking for justification to every scamera partnership.

Evil or Very Mad

Vin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:15 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re stinkwheels post.
It looks from the pictures that there are no marks in the road to calculate the speed. I have noticed these are also missing on some parts of the M25. Am I right that they are necessary to nick you for speeding. Sorry to go a bit off topic.
Agree with all the complaints against speed cameras they are nothing to do with safety.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:19 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 'ruler' markings, just very small ones, like 'ticks' sticking out from the white lines at either side of the road. You can't see them due to the foreshortening.

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 14:25 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about it, what arguments can you have against this??#

They make out like that’s it, no two ways about it, you’re wrong, we’re right.

Imagine if you felt so strongly about this and won the lottery, you could make a short advertisement about the use of cameras and how the accident figures haven’t dropped dramatically because of them.

The people injured or killed by emergency vehicles is greater than the ones by the public aren’t they?

Imagine CCTV footage of it happening, and comments on screen like ‘They aren’t all angels’ or something, make it harrowing and make people think, just as they do. Accept this time it isn’t about money. Wink

Vin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:27 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
There are 'ruler' markings, just very small ones, like 'ticks' sticking out from the white lines at either side of the road. You can't see them due to the foreshortening.

Blimey they are even making them harder to see. Sad

kb-zxr
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:59 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm. How long until they get destroyed then Rolling Eyes

Recently read on here alterations to speeding/points coming into effect. Cough up.

Are speed camera images stored onboard a camera, or go direct to a external database?

XS1954
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:34 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The camera is higher than the sign in the third picure but upon approach it is not visible at all. It also appears to be pointing towards the grass verge and not the road. Is this picture real?

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 20:33 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

This, and other questionable road safety measures, will lead to one of two things happening. People will go everywhere as the government want being nice little citizens.

Or they will ride/drive their vehicles as they fit, even if it requires no licence, no insurance, no MOT, no Tax and evasion of the Police should they come across you.

What will you all end up doing?

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 21:19 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon wrote:
The camera is higher than the sign in the third picure but upon approach it is not visible at all. It also appears to be pointing towards the grass verge and not the road. Is this picture real?

Ever heard of a thing called perspective? The camera is pointing along the road, look at any other scamera and it will be pointing the same way.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:25 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon wrote:

The pictures were taken by me, using a fixed-focus disposable 35mm camera. The first one was taken standing on the kerb on the side of the road approximately 100 yards away from the sign with me standing upright (so at approximately head height when sat on the bike).

The second one was taken from the same distance and height but standing on the kerb on the central reservation. I did not take one standing in the middle of the road because I don't want to be run over.

Looking at the bottom picture, the guy in the approaching wagon can probably only just see the top edge of the camera poking up from where he is now, someone lower down in a car or on a bike can't see it at all until they are right on top of it.

The pictures were scanned in from the prints and cropped, no other modifications. If you zoom in on them in some sort of graphics program, you should be able to see the film grains because it was a 400 ASA film. This is almost impossible to photoshop.

It is at grid reference NO 640 656 if anyone would like to check.
https://www.speedcamerasuk.com/database/SCAN/scan006.htm

kb-zxr
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 23:35 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna guess that you got caught by that camera then, and the photos were to prove it doesn't meet current regulations.

If so, did you win the case?

Bullet
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:58 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

im gona get ripped for this no doubt, but speed cameras can have a reasonable place in road safety, but in my opinion they are implemented in a way that is totally out of order at the moment.. more cameras blah blah blah, do what we want with the funds (more cameras instead of proper policing) but on the flip side how you guys can argue that cameras in dangerous spots and outside schools where thusfar no accidents have occured is a bad idea worries me, speeding infront of a school isnt just stupid, its utterly retarded. fixed hidden cameras are not the answer, stick with the high visability / high profile cameras but make them mobile.... and attach a copper that can actually judge for themselves with some level of reason as to if it was sufficiantly dangerous to warrent the bollocking! we have one such mobile van/copper on the island and numerous pointless fixed cameras that achieve nothing except 50 yards where everyone slows down and their concentration on the road lapses...

visable coppers with cameras allowed wherever they like Thumbs Up
hidden stealthy fixed cameras allowed where they like Thumbs Down
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 67 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2