Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

project MINJA track weapon

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bullet
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:25 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: project MINJA track weapon Reply with quote

got this project a while ago, not sure where my post went in the great reogranisation here, so il start a new one for the update Smile

as a recap: i got a zxr750k in bits to build up as a track bike heres how it looked when i got it
https://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/lsjbagpuss/zxr750rr1.jpg
https://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/lsjbagpuss/zxr750rr3.jpg

and here it is as work in progress after spending £140 on the various bearings seals and spacers that were missing from the headstock and swing arm

https://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/lsjbagpuss/758c3504.jpg

its gettin there, but still a way off, and after spending all sunday afternoon swearing and cursing at the engine i think itl take longer than i thought Confused also discovering that one fork leg is a bit pitted and poo at the base and coincidentally has a blown fork seal (arse!) whaday think, rechrome, polish out, or replace it?
anders This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 09:46 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

pitted fork stanchions are a shit one to deal with, i know...i've got two of em! Laughing i've been advised i could get it rechromed but that it would flake off so the best bet is if you've got the money is to get a new fork stanchion but it ain't gonna be cheap.

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:21 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd ebay it, or go to a breakers for the stanchion, a rechrome is just a pain in the arse.

What colour scheme are you thinking of?

Keep up the good work Thumbs Up

Jack
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:23 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its coming along Thumbs Up

More pics please Laughing

Bullet
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:22 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

more pics.... right-o Smile

got these through the other day...

gsxr1000 6pots, easyest calliper converstion for the zxr without making huge adaptor plates, only needs some spacers machining up, and theyl save 1kg of unsprung weight off the front! Smile
https://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/lsjbagpuss/DSCF0034.jpg

got these aswell, thyre now stripped and polished, but dont have a pic of them reasmbled yet, Raask Rear sets
https://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/lsjbagpuss/DSCF0031.jpg

and heres a rather bad photoshop mock up using my other one of how i want it to look when put together.... BLACK with green bits Twisted Evil

https://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/lsjbagpuss/9378bfed.jpg

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:24 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it matt Cool

Gonna be a nice bike Thumbs Up Laughing

palmer
Fiddled Kiddy

PostPosted: 19:28 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

gloss black, black wheels, red rim tape, white writing.

Like JammyG's 400 Thumbs Up Looked ace.

Bullet
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:19 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhh noooooo not the devils jizz! lol was considering going for the white writing, but i think the green looks better... hmmm its gona be black though whatever

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:16 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green writing will match the wheels Thumbs Up

tommyboi
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:24 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks nice mate good luck Smile

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:29 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna get (or do they do might be a better question) a different rear end for the bike as the ZXR's is a little chunky and square Embarassed

I take it the grab rail wont be in the final project

Bullet
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:48 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 2 zxrs are the j model and the k model so both of them are less square than your H, but still a bit bulky in comparison to modern offerings. the grab rail you show is actually an aftermarket add on my friend has one of those, look horrible in my opinion unbolt it unless you carry a pillion alot! you can retro fit virtually any rear end you like on it with a little 'tweaking' to the sub frame popular with the street fighter chaps! Thumbs Up

Bullet
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:50 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw a H model like yours that had a vfr750- single sider and a zx636 tail unit.... looked the muts nuts! was bright yellow Very Happy oh and theyd ripped off the front fairing entirely and gone for twin spots speed tripple style...... me likey that!

monkeylegs
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:18 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good so far keep it up Thumbs Up

Bullet
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:20 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

after poking the engine for a week and accomplashing nothing other than discovering its 'shiney inside' and the cam chain is 'not knackard' im just gona bolt it in and hope it works ok, a full strip down is just a bit daunting, previoius owner said the engine was fine when he stripped the bike and that it was taken to bits only for the frame to be repainted so i think itl be ok..... and ive decided im going to sell the flatslides that came with it and put some cv's on there.... flat slides sound a bit too impractical for my mediocre throttle controll! plus they seem to go for silly amounts on ebay to the magpies that like shiney stuff! so out comes the carb cleaner! them and the origonal single seater tail fairing and i think i can recover almost 50% of what i spent on the bike Wink

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:36 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've taken the barrels or heads off, it might be worth doing some porting, it'll improve power, and boost the effect of exhausts etc. All you need is a dremel, patience and a steady hand.

Jack
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 14:59 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

God please ignore that above post.

If you don't know what you're doing, do not take a dremmel anywhere near your engine.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:09 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gazdaman wrote:
God please ignore that above post.

If you don't know what you're doing, do not take a dremmel anywhere near your engine.

Gaz

I'd give it a shot, just to round edges and generally improve the smoothness, nothing major. If you round the exhaust port on a 2t, power delivery improves, piston ring life increases, effects of a performance exhaust increases, and power improves.

Probably is a bad idea for the inexperience, but i'm inexperienced and i'd seriously give it a shot. Then again, i'm a bit of a numpty...

Jack

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 15:15 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next week on the Jack_Cheese show:

Rebores with a wood file and a ruler.

Laughing

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:44 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gazdaman wrote:
Next week on the Jack_Cheese show:

Rebores with a wood file and a ruler.

Laughing

Gaz

You'd be suprised how well it works Wink

Jack

Bullet
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 02:25 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was origonally considering stripping the engine if only to inspect its internal condition..... but i am a lazy man and after taking off the rocker cover, i decided it looked like alot of work considering that the previous owner said it was fine (not gospel i know but i am a lazy man! so il take him at his word on that one) il run it for one season then strip it again anyway so will probably do some engine work at that stage as the rest of the bike should be preety well sorted by then

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 13:55 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had people say that to me. "Just whip the barrel off, make sure everything's ok".

You probably wouldn't notice if anything wasn't ok! Unless one of the pistons was actually an apple or something.

I'm a great believer of 'if it doesn't work, THEN take it apart.'

Gaz

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:01 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gazdaman wrote:
I'm a great believer of 'if it doesn't work, THEN take it apart.'

Gaz

My personal belief is if it doesn't work, ignore it 'till it fixes itself. Fancy borrowing my bike for a month? Razz

Jack

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 01:33 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only if I can rebore it Very Happy

Gaz
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 64 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4