BCF: Bike Chat Forums

project MINJA track weapon

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

400bandit
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 01 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the problem of pitted forks... I had the same problem a few months back with my bandit and was about to send them off for re-chroming but then the exact pair that i needed came up on ebay for 55 quid so naturally I got them. However, I was advised by many that hard re-chroming is better quality than the chrome that the manufacturer puts on...

A company I contacted run a service where the price covers the delivery and picking up of the forks, they take them apart and put them back together with new seals and abviously re-chrome them. It was fairly reasonable too. I'd suggest that may be it's a possible way to go...

Joe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bullet
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:25 - 02 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was thinking that might be cheaper than replacements, especially as its a k model and has a weird sized stanchion. so would probably have to come from kawasaki direct £££££££ i found a website for a company called www.pittedforks.co.uk that do the hard chroming thing, plus i can get them coated in the gold nitride stuff then aswell..... very bling Very Happy waiting on a price now. will probably send them off to maxton for respring/revalving aswell if i can save a bit more cash

400bandit
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:55 - 02 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I think that that's the company I got a quote from. I can't rember the price they gave me but I seem to remember it being a tad cheaper than the cost of new stanchions (which didn't include the labour seals and what not). And the stanchions are pretty normal (not upside downs or anything)

And them special coatings they do look pretty tasty too Wink Thumbs Up

Good luck, Joe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bullet
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:53 - 13 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

well none of the fork rechroming people can be bothered to reply to emails it seems.. may have to go old fasioned and USE A PHONE! Laughing got the engine mostly mounted in the frame now, the theme of missing pieces is continued with a spacer for one of the engine mounts. stripped the old calipers for a rebuild new seals e.t.c to go on my road bike, this ones getting the gsxr 6pots Mr. Green ordered up all the seals.. £65 Shocked expensive hobby this one! stripped the paint off them which came off with a rag and some white spirit... must have been painted with frikin nail-varnish or something! no wonder they looked sh*t! pics to follow when i find the digi cam that ive misplaced somewhere! Embarassed

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem when I wanted my usd yzf forks rechroming. I emailed dozens of companies, got 2 replies. Sods law made sure that I picked what turned out to be a set of wankers. a firm called https://www.hardchromeplating.co.uk/.
They took about 6 or 7 weeks and the forks were returned with a dull unpolished ground surface, plus that had taken the paint off the fork "knuckles" when they had gripped them in a vice to strip em. rang to complain, the guy wasn't too interested in my complaint, after a few while he said if I sent em back he'd see what he could do, but they were busy so it may be a while....I should have just sued the bastard.
BeforeNote chrome is work away....
https://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/owdamer/forks/forks1.jpg
Afterpaint scuffed
https://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/owdamer/forks/forks2.jpg
https://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/owdamer/forks/forks3.jpg

Bullet
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:49 - 04 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

well its been a while since an update, mainly as i havent achieved much other than break it Evil or Very Mad after 2 cracked engine mounts and a nackard top yoke i got very angry! all cured now but still it was a good £80 that i hadnt planned on spending, now got the engine in, and fully mounted, along with the top yoke and clipons all fitted! next steps, brakes, wiring loom, then carbs got myself a set of CV's off ebay and the discription was a little dishonest to say the least, thyre going to need a complete rebuild been sat on a skanky shed shelf for ages and full of dust twigs, bugs n beasties e.t.c not to mention the slides and butterflies beeing as smooth as 40grit Evil or Very Mad after my first trackday last week however im not sure i do need to replace the flatslides as you do indeed spend most of your time the happy side of 9000 rpm..... hmm all depends on if i want to use it to learn to wheelie / stunt in generall i guess Confused

Bullet
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:52 - 20 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, its been all go last weekend, flatties are in, as is the wiring loom, airbox, downpipies, rad and cooling system, all switchgear, seat, tank, tail fairing, lights, spare calipers rebuilt resprayed and fitted (for other bike but on this one untill i get the spacers for the 6 pots machined up) couple of pieces discovered to be missing, fuel pump and mounting rubbers are f.u.b.a.r. and the sprocket cover / clutch slave mounting are missing.

anyway heres some pics Very Happy

https://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/lsjbagpuss/7ab7722e.jpg

https://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/lsjbagpuss/a9bb1c0b.jpg

https://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/lsjbagpuss/5060ed7d.jpg

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:28 - 20 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

just keep it like that!

looks nuts! Thumbs Up Very Happy

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 16:19 - 20 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good Thumbs Up Wink

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:42 - 20 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, leave it as it is, looks like an old speed triple!

Jack

Barry_M2
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:08 - 20 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bullet wrote:
....and the sprocket cover / clutch slave mounting are missing.

I think I have these bits on my spare J engine I'm stripping, I'll take a look tonight and let you know.

The clutch slave mount, do you mean the part the hydraulic line attaches to on the engine case?

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:02 - 20 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a track bike, why the lights? Or are you intending to hoon about on the roads on the IOW as well?

Looking good Thumbs Up

Bullet
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:21 - 20 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

barry, i have the slave cylinder, but i dont have the sprocket cover, (the left hand engine cover it bolts too) if youve got one you can sell me itl cheer me up no end! Very Happy (havent even looked up the price of a new one..... i bet its alot! same goes for the fuel pump and mounting if you have one?

whos the daddy, yes its a track bike, but its going to be a sunday hooning beasty aswell, and as my nearest track is over the sea from here i need to get my moneys worth out of it! although im not keeping those lights permanently, i like the twin spots, but thyre a bit on the heavy side, the nc30 ones for example are half the weight and im sure if i mount them directly to the fairing and do away with half the clock/lights support i can save a good few KG off the front, the alternative is to go balls-deep and just daylight mot it with no front lights atall and only a brake light on the back(tempting) Wink

i rode my other one with no fairing on it just like that, and it was a loopy machine, felt half the size! i do like the street fighter style but cant be arsed with swapping the fairing on and off it, hmmm maybe i need to buy a 3rd one Very Happy

Barry_M2
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:02 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a look last night and I've not got the bits I'm afraid.

Take a look in my profile for the latest pics of how my M2 is looking, and what it did to piston number 2! Laughing

Picking gaskets up tomorrow so I hope to get the engine back together on Sunday.

Thumbs Up

Bullet
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:33 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahwell never mind! im sure a second hand one will come up somewhere! just looked in your profile! jesus what happened to that piston! is that a snapped cam chain/valve piston collision incident? just stripped a radian motor and though that was bad when i found small rocks, twigs, bits of pison ring, bugs e.t.c on the pistons but nowt like that! good luck with gettin it back together Smile

Barry_M2
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:02 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know how it happened as I brought it like that.

But, all 4 valves on that cylinder have lost their heads! The cyl head is a total mess too. Thank god I've got a spare engine!

Bullet
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:57 - 10 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

well havent updated this in a while, so here goes! done quite a bit recently, shes now running the 6pots on the front, and a gixer thou rear caliper aswell, will be getting the hanger moded to remove the torssion bar thing. new water pump seals, and hoses cured all coolant leaks and a few new oil hoses aswell. engine fired up yesterday after 3 faulty fuel pumps, a knakard clutch switch numerous fuses and other bits, took me ages to go through everything a find the numerous faults! but when they all worked she fired up straight away Very Happy got a full fairing set on the way, including another tail and ally tank. new chain and sprockets are also on the way, spare wheels are at the powder coaters, got new bearings and EBC discs for them when they get back, along with some pilot powers, the clutch cover is leaking oil at the mo so a new gaskett should cure that. took the exhaust off my other one as its a bit nicer, but modified it to remove the baffels in the link pipe, and the can, that and the flatslides made for an almight roar when she started. damm thats loud!

anyway, heres some pics (looks similar to the last ones i know but its alot more together!

https://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/lsjbagpuss/DSCF0285.jpg

https://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/lsjbagpuss/DSCF0288.jpg

https://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/lsjbagpuss/DSCF0276.jpg

one on the rights in the for sale section if anyone fancies it Very Happy

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:27 - 10 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get braided hoses, they stop better and look a lot better than those rubber green looking ones Laughing

Aluminium tank looks the mutts Thumbs Up

Spotted the ZXR for sale, but dude, why?

Bullet
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:35 - 10 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are braided hoses.....goodridge ones infact, just covered in translucent green stuff look preety cool up close actually! and dont scratch when / if they rub on anything.

selling the other one because i rode a k4 gixer thou and ive been converted Embarassed cant bring myself to sell the project though Wink plus its a Q plate, and not finished so would only get peanuts for it!

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:37 - 10 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

A GSXR thou is a bike to be proud of, I would love one Thumbs Up

SoulRider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:11 - 11 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice micron system did that come with the bike or was it brought seperate, bike is looking sweet was wondering how much those brake callipers set you back?

Bullet
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:23 - 11 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a micron delta full system which used to be road legal bought that system for my other zxr, but swapped it onto this one as its a little better than the one that came with it (another stainless micron but not as free flowing as this one bigger/noisyer lol ) i took the grinder to the link pipe baffels so its even more free flowing now, straight through the whole way down it system cost £180 second hand but the can was dented to hell so got the oval can for another £40. the brakes are insanly good compared to the rebuilt standard ones, and were front was £90 for the calipers plus £15 for the spacer/collars to be machined up, plus another £20 or so for titanium hanger bolts. the rear was £40 for the caliper had to grind away a tiny bit of the hanger to get it to fit in and it needs a bit more modifying so i can remove the torque arm thing, but would work fine with it, im just trying to lighten up the unsprung weight and de clutter the back end, i think the suspension will be free moving without the extra sets of barings anyway Thumbs Up

SoulRider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:41 - 11 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats pretty good price for the calipers, alot less than i expected, something i wouldnt mind upgrading on my sv

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:48 - 11 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of the standard twin pot calipers on the front of my FZR, they are single Shocked Fook knows where they came from as they are not even for the model or year Rolling Eyes

Would like to change a lot of things on the bike, the calipers bieng one of them.

£100 seems a lot, but in the long run its probably a great bargain.

Nice work Bullet Thumbs Up

Bullet
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:01 - 11 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh depends on the mounting bolt spacing then, these are off a gsxr 1000 k1/k2 and as far as i know its the only other bike to use the 63mm mounting spacing, most others use 90mm the other gsxrs, busa, bandit, zx7 zx9, to name but a few, so the 6 pot tokicos of that size are generally cheaper and look like this:
https://www.rgv-500.com/handling_files/tokico6pot_s.jpg
ive seen zx7r sets go for less than £30 on egay plus theres alot more aftermarket upgrade kits for that size nocking about aswell. the other bits you can upgrade that make a massive differance to the brakes after the obvious, pad/braided lines upgrades is the master cylinder the standard nissin one on the zxr is utter sh*te dont know what the sv ones like but a brembo radial lever is infinatly better than what ive got at the moment, and will be my next upgrade to the brakes

wtd- yes £100 was alot for the brakes, especially as im now considering a 10r front end transplant with radial calipers for some point in the future but thats how much those calipers go for as theres not many of them about, i could sell them tomorrow for that easily especially with the bits to fit to a zxr Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 233 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4