Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Tyre Weld - safe to use?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 20:48 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Tyre Weld - safe to use? Reply with quote

I realised today as I rode home from work that just before I stopped using my scooter I had suffered a puncture in the rear tyre, and had a temp fix carried out by the RAC at the roadside. The scooter needs to go in for a service anyway, but I won't be able to sort it out for a few days - and need it for work until then.

Is it worth bunging in some tyre weld to strengthen the fix until I can get the tyre replaced - indeed, is it safe to do so?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Richard1987
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:11 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

never tried it on a bike before, i know it works on cars ok but sometimes you are charged extra for removing it when a tyre is changed? Also i think it only works on tubeless tyres? Not too sure

on_one
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:24 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the can it says that it is only a temporay fix and that you shouldnt go above 30 but i used it for 1 mont and went over 60 often and it was fine also i know someone whos had it in his tyre for about 4 months and its been fine, what scooter is it

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 22:31 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha Aerox 100.

I don't tend to go over 40 on the scoot, as I don't really like braving the dual carriageway with the throttle jammed open and no power in reserve, so I go a different way.

Having searched on here and google, it looks like it's probably a safe bet for a while. I suspect that it being a scooter with tiny wheels will reduce any balance problems that you might notice on a hypersports bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

southlondoner
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:32 - 22 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i haven't experienced this problem, but id think you could risk it on a car, but not on a bike..

yes, its only an aerox not a gixxer but youll still hurt yourself just as much when a tyre blows at 40mph! Surprised

meooo
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:10 - 22 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

it will depend on what caused the puncture
if its a small nail (normal) I can recommend Ultraseal (as advertised on these pages) suggest a visit to their web site.
you can leave this stuff in tyres, I have used it in motorcycle/scooter & car tyres. It wont work on side wall damage.
Its saved me 100s on tyre replacement (cant repair low-profile tyres) and saved roadside breakdowns.
Tyre weld is not good for any tyre/wheel.....its a get u home product and the tyres knackered after use, ultraseal keeps on working and if you change your own tyre on the scoot, you can remove it and re-use.

jcolley1364
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:07 - 22 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it should be fine i did it and used until tyre went bald with no probs

jcolley1364
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:09 - 22 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it should be fine i did it and used until tyre went bald with no probs

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 18:18 - 22 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

meooo wrote:

Its saved me 100s on tyre replacement (cant repair low-profile tyres) .

Yes you can.

curryfishball
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:47 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to be a courier and used it to repair a rear tyre. must have done at least a couple of thousand miles on it, some > 70mph. just make sure its a small puncture, the nail is perpendicular to the tyre and not at an angle, and there is no danger to the side wall.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 64 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1