Do you download movies ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 04:28 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
You used to write scripts for mIRC? Jesus, get you. I used to program database back/front ends for a mass user based performance tracking system.

Leave him alone. He's just found VCDQuality, Bit Torrent, and has written IRC scripts. Don't mock him. Razz

I suggest pointing towards vcdquality.com forum, they'll love him there. Wink

Leave the |337 alone, they might ping flood you or something!!!
HerbalDayZ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

TheBoyChris
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:29 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make computer games for a living, you're ripping me off, I completely disagree with you.

I'm not on millions of pounds, I'm on a solid salary. Just because my industry is successful, why should I have you *steal* from me? You obviously want my product, so the "I wouldn't have bought it anyway" argument is defunct, the only reason you wouldn't have bought it is because you can't afford it.

I can't afford a Hayabusa, does that mean I can just *take* it?

And where Bill Gates is concerned, the Bill and Melinda Gate foundation is wiping out TB, sorting out Africa and feeding people worldwide, they are the biggest charity in the world. Rich cunt? Not in my eyes.

I know people pirate software and music, and I understand their reasons, but it pisses me off when people try and make some sort of legal justification for it as if it's they're god given right.

You're stealing, it's wrong, you'll carry on doing it, no-one really cares except the people getting ripped off... the world will keep revolving.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:31 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Chris.

Also, Bill Gates revealed plans a while ago to give his entire fortune away during his lifetime... Hardly in it for the money is he?

TheBoyChris
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:38 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sorry bring down the prices an maybe it would be worth buying while they wanna keep trying to rip me off they can keep running ..

Oh and on this point I'd just like to say, does anyone remember paying £60 for a MegaDrive game? Or £50-£55 for a PlayStation 1 game? That was over 9 years ago now. 9 years.

9 years of games getting better.
9 years of games getting bigger.
9 years of more competition.
9 years of teams costing more and getting larger.
9 years of the market growing.
9 years of inflation.

So I guess games should be more expensive? Uh... no. £30-£35 actually. They've gone down in price.

Go figure - no wonder we're not millionnaires yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:40 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in megadrive days:

Virtua Racing (Cutting edge game at time): £85

Back in n64 days:

Turok 1 (Cutting edge n64 launch title at the time): £70

Now:

Condemned for Xbox 360: £45.

You're not being ripped off, don't even kid yourself.

Just be a man and admit you can't afford what you want, so resort to theiving, like every scar ridden crack addict in the local spar on saturdays.
HerbalDayZ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 14:01 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just download because it's easy. Speak to daz, bearshare or torrents (dont like them much though) i used to download alot, all of the main tv programs like 24, smalliville, lost etc but cba anymore.

I'm sure if a hayabusa was as easy to take as an mp3 from bearshare then alot more people would be doing it. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:14 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

HerbalDayZ wrote:
ste whats your problem .

Im guessing your after a reaction from me ?

No, just your original post was amusingly inaccurate. Laughing
TheBoyChris wrote:
why should I have you *steal* from me?

Stealing from you would be mugging you or stealing your bike. Downloading a game that I'd not have bought (because of not wanting it) isn't stealing from anyone, no one's lost a penny.
Toby R wrote:
Just be a man and admit you can't afford what you want, so resort to theiving, like every scar ridden crack addict in the local spar on saturdays.

Or it's simply that I don't want to buy a game that I'll play a couple of times and then be bored of and never play again. By downloading it, still no one has lost a penny.

TheBoyChris
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:56 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
TheBoyChris wrote:
why should I have you *steal* from me?

Stealing from you would be mugging you or stealing your bike. Downloading a game that I'd not have bought (because of not wanting it) isn't stealing from anyone, no one's lost a penny.

I'm sorry man, but I disagree here being on the receiving end. I've spent 5 years working in my company, working on the Project Gotham Racing series amoung other things. When I've put my heart and soul into a game, I expect people who want the game to buy it and people who don't want to game to either not buy it or take it back if they're unhappy.

Consumer law protects people if they don't like one of my products, they can take it back if they're bored of it.

And no, stealing doesn't just mean the physical removing of an object, it also amounts to stealing intellectual property. My whole life rests on that intellectual property being sold, otherwise I can't ride, rent a house, or even eat. It's how I make money.

If people take my IP without paying me, it's stealing. Fact. The law regonises it as such for this reason.

I'd just like to add here, I know a lot of people who pirate, and a lot of friends who do too. I overlook this as they are my friends, but I won't take part and I won't kid myself or let them kid themselves that they are doing anything legal. It's wrong, but I accept it.

Chris

Quote:
I would probaly never want or use anything you make .

Please stop thinking so big of yourself .I would most likely have no interest in anything you have done.

PS: HerbalDayZ - your immature attitude towards argument does you no favours - by attempting to make it seem like I was trying to 'big myself up' you're getting this totally the wrong way.

We're discussing piracy. You're a pirate. I'm a software creator. Do you not think it right that both sides have a say in this? By repeatedly discarding my views as wrong without actually providing any data (as you seem to do in all your arguments) you're just spooling the same crap over and over again.

Come back with some intelligent argument without the insulting manner and you'll probably get a better response.

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:03 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

HerbalDayZ wrote:
The boy chris

Quote:
I make computer games for a living, you're ripping me off, I completely disagree with you.

I would probaly never want or use anything you make .

Please stop thinking so big of yourself .I would most likely have no interest in anything you have done.

did i say i steal from small buisnesses nope

I TAKE STUFF FROM PEOPLE WHO I THINK CAN LIVE WITHOUT MY MONEY .BIG BUISNESS that make millions billions of pounds per year.

Bill gates may be a HUGE charity giver but as i said .I would be very happy to give away millions if i was a multi billionare from somthing i didnt make in the 1st place

He over charges he dominates an monopalises the industry .

Who said he works for a small business?

cqueen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:04 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Us 'Stealing' software creates jobs for IT people Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:07 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

cqueen wrote:
Us 'Stealing' software creates jobs for IT people Thumbs Up

Another point that people say to make them feel better about themselves.

Fact: People only steal IP because "everyone else does it", if everyone else started raping people/killing/etc (Look in recent news for martial law cases), I guess you'd be following suit uh? Wink

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:08 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

HerbalDayz wrote:
I think you will find No place will allow you to return a product once opend .

Hmm, I took a 360 game back a couple of months after I bought it after intensive playing, walked in, gave it back, they handed me £50 in cash (£0.01 profit woo).

TheBoyChris
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:17 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

HerbalDayZ wrote:
Quote:
I expect people who want the game to buy it and people who don't want to game to either not buy it or take it back if they're unhappy.

I think you will find No place will allow you to return a product once opend .

Um, yes you can, unless it's a MMORPG or a PC game with username/pass based multiplayer, in which I conceed the point.

I can't believe you lot don't see it as stealing. Again, I know this stuff happens and I know it always will, but can't people see that this *is* ripping someone off?

Chris

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:33 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBoyChris wrote:
I can't believe you lot don't see it as stealing. Again, I know this stuff happens and I know it always will, but can't people see that this *is* ripping someone off?

I don't see it as stealing as there's no financial loss to anyone. Yeah I suppose I could go and buy lots of games and return them a week later but its much easier to just download them and delete them a week later. Same end result.

You say you expect people who want the game to buy it, thats fair enough. Because someone wants it enough to download it, play it a few times and then delete it doesn't mean they want it enough to go to a shop and pay £30 for it. But since they can download it for free they do. Loss to the games developer? £0.00

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:36 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
TheBoyChris wrote:

I don't see it as stealing as there's no financial loss to anyone. Yeah I suppose I could go and buy lots of games and return them a week later but its much easier to just download them and delete them a week later. Same end result.

You say you expect people who want the game to buy it, thats fair enough. Because someone wants it enough to download it, play it a few times and then delete it doesn't mean they want it enough to go to a shop and pay £30 for it. But since they can download it for free they do. Loss to the games developer? £0.00

No, because it doesn't cost anything to hire people to code anti cheat systems.

It doesn't cost anything to employ testers to stress test code for exploits, advert campaigns, court cases etc.

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 15:40 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about renting from blockbuster then copying the game/film??

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:51 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why's it just as bad?

I took it back, said I had completed it and I was bored of it, and they gave me my money back. I was honest and didn't decieve them in any way.

How is that illegal?

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:51 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

HerbalDayZ wrote:
I hate consoles there a rip off an my c would piss over any recent console Thumbs Up

Your £600 PC would NOT piss on an Xbox 360.

RobB
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:03 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

HerbalDayZ wrote:
I think my AMD64 3800 with gForce 7 an gig of matched ram suported by many other things .

Would make a xbox look silly

Would doubt it.

https://news.com.com/Xbox+specs+revealed/2100-1043_3-5705372.html
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 65 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4